JDM H22A known Problems?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmclude

What's up people. My swap has been completed for about a month and half now and I must say I am loving this car. I ran a 15.5 (not spraying) in the quarter and it was my very first time, I as spinning out the hole so I know with more practice I can get the time down. Any how some little issues have arised and I would like to get them squared away ASAP. I want to get a feel to see if any of you guys have experienced this same problem.

1. When I drive in any gear, if I press on the accelerator normally, not flooring it, somtimes my car will act like it's not getting gas then it will get gas and jerk for a sec and it only happens when my engine light is off. It's been very difficult to find the code that the engine light is throwing because of the OBD 2 harness on the OBD 1 motor, the code reader my mechanic has trips out because it's confused. This one old knowledgable mechanic told me that it is most likely my EGR valve, the ports may be blocked or I may need a new one. Have any of you experienced this problem and if so what did you do to solve it. P.S I know my Fuel pump is good so it's not a direct fuel problem.

2. I am leaking oil or burning. I do not beleive I am burning because i do not see the symptoms from the exhuast from burning oil, but I have noticed that by the VTEC solinoid there looks as though a leak or seal might be leaking because I see oil. Is it a common problem to have the cam plugs and or vtec seals leak on these cars?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

As for problem #2, you might want to remove the valve cover and VTEC solenoid, clean em up real good, then use some Hondabond or silicone RTV on the flanges before reinstalling them at the proper torque specifications.

The EGR doesn't effect how your car runs, except when it fucks up. My buddy's car had blocked ports. The EGR valve itself was working properly, no code. Anyway, just disconnect the vacuum hose and plug both open ends. If the EGR ports are in fact your problem, that is your test.

The symptoms my friend had were
  • no code
  • ran fine cold
  • idled poorly and died at stop signs when warm
  • valve was working properly
Several people thought it was anything but the EGR. I was unable to find the problem, since I was unaware that the ports are frequently clogged. Give it a shot, you can always reconnect it five minutes later if that is not your problem.

Yeah my car is kinda doing the same thing with power loss. Im getting an EGR valve code and im gonna clean it out tomorrow. Do i need to change the gasket if i take the valve off the IM? I think i have some copper spray in the garage, dont know if that even does anything but clean

If you are careful, chances are you can reuse the gasket. If it is old and brittle, you may have to use some high temp silicone or something. I have taken off probably four, and ripped one gasket. Besides that, we always have plenty of "high tack" spray gasket adhesive on hand. I don't think it is tough to seal. I'd try it, with some sort of adhesive on hand, and replace the gasket if necessary.

EGR's are a dime a dozen. I still have the stock H22 EGR if you need one. I never used it. I used my stock accord EGR, as the wiring was the same as my Accord harness(duh). Yes, they have the same bolt pattern.

Back