1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JDM H22A running rich, poor idle, missing

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by hondarin, Jan 6, 2012.

1. hondarin

hondarin Please enter a value using 50 characters or fewer. VIP

Ok, I have a 94 H22A in my 92 Accord, and after sitting for two weeks, it started running really rich and idling poorly. I pulled the distributor cap off today, and there was oil in it. I cleaned out the oil with some electric parts cleaner, but it didn't really help much.

I drove the car about 9 miles, turned it off, went in to run an errand, and then the car wouldn't start. I had to wait about 10-15 min before it would start. After driving for a couple of minutes, I got a CEL, so I stopped off at my brother's house to check the code. It was a "blink blink blink," so I looked up 3 and 30, and 30 is an auto transmission code, so it's not that. 3 is a MAP code.

I also did some searching about oil in distributor caps, and came across a thread on honda-tech where the guy had to replace his coil. So I'm thinking I may have a dying coil, but I'm getting a MAP sensor code.

The distributor is a Richporter internal coil unit I bought new in 2005.

So, does anybody have any ideas on this? And, does anybody know if the 99-00 Civic SI's coil is compatible with the internal H22 coil?

Thanks in advance

I'm putting the link to the HT thread here, so I can find it later
    h22 jdm coil testing issues - Honda-Tech

2. FLACOFOOL80

FLACOFOOL80 Banned

in my 95 accord i swapped in a h22 and i had to use the h22 distributor housing w the internals from a 94 d16z6 civic.

3. hondarin

The car was running fine for almost 6 years. I feel pretty confident that its an ignition problem. I'm mainly trying to figure out what USDM coil will work in a JDM internal coil distributor.

4. hondarin

Ok, for those out there who are curious, and for future searches, the coil was the problem. I checked Honda part numbers between a 1991 Accord, and a 2000 Civic SI, and they were the same, so, I got a coil for a 91 Accord, and it worked fine. It seems as though Honda used the same coil for the internal coil distributors from the early 90's through the early 2000's.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted