JDM H22A Swap Rev Limiter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

H22A1Accrd

I swaped a JDM H22A into my 92 accord almost 2 years ago. Car runs pretty good, but a few weeks after the swap i noticed since i did the swap only sometimes would i get the car to go past ~6600 rpms. Probably about half the time. So I chiped the P13 ECU that removed the speed governer and moved the rev limiter to ~9000 (would never take it that high). It did remove the speed limiter but sometimes the car makes a lot less power and the rev limiter kicks in around 6600. (same as b4 i chipped it) I noticed if i drive the car till its warm, then shut it off, and then start it again 5-15 min later that is when it has decreased power and early rev limiter. VTEC works all the time. Thinking about removing the air intake temp sensor and putting a resistor the socket instead (making ecu think air is cold all the time)? When the car is running shitty it kind of stutters hesitates around 3-4k. If anyone can let me know what to try it would be great. I had a VR6 Jetta with CAI, Exhaust run me on the highway and i would of had him but noooooooo . . . rev limiter caught me by suprise at 6500 and screwed me. Just when the h22a comes to life . . Is there a different ECU i could use, or a way to disable knock sensor and temp sensor, also on humid cool days the car runs amazing . . .

92 Accord LX
JDM H22A w/tranny
AEM CAI
DC Sports 4-2-1 Ceramic
2.5 Inch Custom Exhaust
High Flow Cat (Carsound)
Skunk2 Can

Upgraded to 15 inch Black Steel Wheels
(Swap left me alittle broke)

well you already screwed up by chipping your ecu. the p13 doesnt chip well (as a few people have already found out) if your car is having problems, its best to fix the problems better than figure out a work around.

Btw, dont play that game with a chipped 1.8t. They will take you. I found out the hard way. I raced a guy stock and had him by 2. Then he got a chip and took me by 3.

id be willing to say yes since he mentioned knock sensor

If VTEC was working, I don't think your car would stop @6600.

Get a stock P13 and analyze the CELs. Those cheap chips can hurt more than they help.

Quoted post[/post]]
If VTEC was working, I don't think your car would stop @6600.

Get a stock P13 and analyze the CELs. Those cheap chips can hurt more than they help.

VTEC Always works, No CEL ever. Got the chip to remove speed governer. Car runs same as b4 i chipped it,. Alittle hesatation around 3-4 grand sometimes. And about 50% of the time the limiter is early. Just like before. I don't know, By the way the jetta was one of those GLIs with the v6 we were dead even from 2nd gear roll and me shifting early. And the gli is a 6 speed too haha. If it was not getting fuel that would feel and sound different than rev limit right???

if it was the knock sensor would it CEL when it knocked???

I can quickly change the actual chip on my ecu because i soldered a socket, any others i could try, or a place i could get the original one??

What about a different ecu, dont some h22a owners run p18s or p72s?

even with a knock code, VTEC still works.

Mine did.

You should be able to hit over 7k anytime the car is warm and you have enough oil pressure. You should hear VTEC engage, very noticeably, at 5k or so, depending on your chip. If your car is chipped to do something else, then it's probably a fucked up chip.

Buy a stock ECU. Recheck. If not, contact pissedoffsol for a burn.

Quoted post[/post]]
even with a knock code, VTEC still works.

Mine did.

You should be able to hit over 7k anytime the car is warm and you have enough oil pressure. You should hear VTEC engage, very noticeably, at 5k or so, depending on your chip. If your car is chipped to do something else, then it's probably a fucked up chip.

Buy a stock ECU. Recheck. If not, contact pissedoffsol for a burn.

Yep VTEC Eveytime time noticable at 5k. . . It did the same thing b4 chipping . . Something new though . .

Ok, i found something else out about the problem. . . while the rev limiter is engaging early and while it is bouncing off the limiter i can decrease throttle to half or less and on one of the "bounces" it will pass the limiter and go to 8k like its supposed too. It make so much power up there that i can never use because of this prob. Does anyone have any ideas?

it deffiantely sounds like you got a badly burned chip and that the ECU and the chip are conflicting with one another

i agree with everyone else man....p13's are one of the worst ECU's to chip. they dont respond well with burnt modified programs to run them. most people that i know with H22's run p28's with p13 fuel maps and specs -OR- p72's with the iab and fuel maps from a p13. take it from me man. ive been thru 2 ecu's one of them being a chipped p13 from this dickhead on EBAY named JDMDOHCPOWER and the other a p28 which is what i have now and let me tell you how happy ive been since ive got rid of that p13. one reason......that damn knock sensor. stock from the factory, p28's dont look for the knock and their deffiantely one of the most easiest ECU's to chip. JEFFSCIV23 burned me a couple of chips for my h22, although i havent ran them yet, he seems to know his stuff so oif your looking for a good chip, id go through him

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBAY

The other option is a new IM and a chipped P28...i dont know which way i want to go...a knock sensor might be handy with a turbo.

BTW, i know your not doing a turbo...the last comment was for me.

:ditto: ebay is one onf of those good places to get ECU's. Even if you get a chipped one, you can always take the chip out and run whatever program you want. if you stil have the IAB's as well as the knock sensor, then id go with a p72 but if you IAB's are not hooked up and u dont give a shit about that knock sensor( i certainly dont ) then id run a p28. your choice tho.

Quoted post[/post]]
:ditto: ebay is one onf of those good places to get ECU's. Even if you get a chipped one, you can always take the chip out and run whatever program you want. if you stil have the IAB's as well as the knock sensor, then id go with a p72 but if you IAB's are not hooked up and u dont give a shit about that knock sensor( i certainly dont ) then id run a p28. your choice tho.

I wonder if i can remove the IABs (the diverter anyway)?

does any one know the 1995 JDM h22 calve clearance? i got the usdm not sure about the jdm.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

I wonder if i can remove the IABs (the diverter anyway)?

i removed mine... i took out all of the circular butterflys in the intake manifold and all i left was the iab plate. thats why im running a p28. it dosnet controll the iab's and it dosent look for the knock sensor. thats ur best bet

Back