JDM H23A DOHC VTEC Swap in a CG3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lithiumus

JDM H23A DOHC VTEC Swap in a CG3 (99 Accord)

So my 99 4cyl Vtec Accord finally bit the dust... I was always burning oil but Honda refused to do anything until I exceeded 1L per 1000KMs consumption. When that finally happened, my warrantee was up. A few years after that, my cyl 2 lost all compression... OK, not ALL compression... it was down to about 25psi compared to all my other cylinders at 200+ PSI.

I ended up going for an OBD II H23A DOHC VTEC swap. It had an auto tranny that was AWD but I'm putting a standard H22 Prelude tranny on. They will be customizing the header so that it will mate up with my OEM CG3 downpipe, etc.

I've been searching for headers for an eventual upgrade but I've been having some trouble finding anything other than the fact that H23A and H22A headers are not interchangeable. Are there any options out there? I hope to get the car back soon. I'm also concerned about the ECU as I'm not 100% sure which ECU they are using... so it's likely it will not be optimized since the H23A DOHC VTEC only came in automatic.

It's been a challenge finding info so anyone who can point me in the right direction or lend more info would be much appreciated. I'll post as much info as possible once my car is done and provide as much help as I can in return. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Just a quick update...

The physical swap is done. I am now working out the ECU issues. I am currently using the stock F23A1 ECU and it works (ok for now) because this JDM motor came with a 3 wire IACV and a 6 wire EGR. The only issue is the crank sensor. I'm not 100% sure of the difference but piston misfire codes come up and the engine is definitely not optimal.

This H23A from Japan only came in Automatic and the only later model H22A engines that use 3 wire IACV and 6 wire EGR are the Euro Accord Type R H22A7 engines so I'm looking for a PDE ECU.

I had to put an AEM CAI for a prelude due to the larger throttle body inlet and left the JDM header with 2.5" collector and had my mechanic convert it down to 2" to fit my OEM accord Cat and exhaust pipes.

Back