JDM ITR Head Setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Batman20

Keep it real...
Sup, Im a noobie to the forum, just registered maybe an hour ago but it seems you guys have aloooot of useful info compared to other forums :thumbsup: and helpful too... Well anyway I bought my car about a year ago with the ITR motor already in it, but it had some issues that need to be addressed. For example the previous owner never changed the ECU so it still has The SI ecu, Im planning on getting a Type R ecu chipped and converting from obd2 to obd1. Yet, my main concern is the head, me and my father were checking it out when I changed my plugs (the Greddy plugs lasted forever) and came to realize that whoever previously put in the plugs before I did tightened the hell out of one of them, and obviously didnt torque it right. Whatever they did, they STRIPPED THE THREADS IN MY HEAD on that one plug chamber. Im sendin it off to get re-done, but I want to work with the head.... plans so far... Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams, valve springs, retainers, and cam gears. (All Skunk2 of course) Anyone have any experience with a setup like this and I DO APOLOGIZE if this was already posted, I have searched though and especially on this forum I've learned that Skunk2 valvetrain is the best bang for the buck. This car is my daily driver too. It has (came with) : OBX Cam Gears (ill), JDM Jasma certified ITR header, omni power straight pipe, apexi WS2 exhaust, AEM CAI, and Greddy Oil catch tank. I want to change this setup to J's Racing or Password:JDM carbon fiber or kevlar intake, Invidia straight pipe, Invidia 2.5" exhaust, and Im not sure what header (need to find a good one for reasonable price) Any feedback is greatly appreciated especially with the head setup I have planned. Sorry for all the writing (just realized I can turn this into my instructor at school for an essay grade) and Thank You for any feedback. Im glad to be on the forum!

You can buy the fix for your spark plug hold at AutoZone in the tools department or have a pro do it for you. I'd probably opt for the later since you want to get head work done anyway.

I don't have any first hand experience with Skunk2 other than my cam gear, but I haven't read overly great things about their valve springs and retainers. They seem to be prone to failure. But take that for what it's worth.

You won't find a good header for a low price. That's one area where you truly get what you pay for. If you want a good header prepare to spend $1k. If you want a decent header you can stay around $300 or a cheap-ass header for around $150.

I'd keep the WS2 exhaust, personally. A straight pipe and Invidia can is going to sound like the stereotypical rice rocket. Also, the gimmick intakes have been prove to be exactly that, gimmick intakes. The AEM V2 is proven power.

Oh yeah, and you can save yourself some dough by getting a chipped P28 ECU.

Thanks for the feedback man, appreciate it. Yea the deal with Invidia is thats exactly what I dont want, a ricer sound!!!!! As far as headers too, I know where your coming from but no way ima spend 150 on an ebay header or anythin like that lol... the lowest Ill probably go is $491 for the DC Stainless Steal Race Header. I still got some research to do. If Im gonna do it, Im gonna do it right!!!! Ill check out the exhaust deal, I wana find one with better flow but good sound. Thumbs up too for the chipped P28 ECU cause thats exactly what Ive had in mind lately.... damn dude with this SI ECU in the car, it runs all wierd and its annoying, RPM's all wierd and everything. Even my dad (he's a mechanic) said damn, these guys did a hell of a job.... but I got a good price on the car, and this time it'll be done right! ;) Thanks Blanco

You're welcome. :)

Unless you're going to track the car really often, just keep the exhaust you've got. A race designed exhaust will always be loud unless you put a silencer on it and at that point you'd be better off with the OEM exhaust. If you want a really good header, check out SMSP and Rage Racing. DC headers are alright, check out the JDM ITR DC header.

Thanks i will, I'll keep you updated. Just got a job after lookin for one forever cause I just moved to a new area so now the long process starts... saving up lol

Back