JDM ITR smog legal setup?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Colt

I have a 97 hatchback that I am planning on doing a JDM ITR swap. I was told that all I need to do is use a USDM ecu and USDM throttle body to make it pass smog and get it bar'd here in CA. Anybody here has experience on this?

It seems like it is very hard to find a USDM swap. I would even consider getting a USDM GSR or USDM B16 si motor if I could but they seemed to be hard to find as well. I appreciate any input.

you need the ecu and intake manifold.. not sure about throttle body.. i've BARd a jdm b16 and it was cake.. except the passing smog part

The JDM GSR would be easier to Bar, because of the avalibilty of USDM parts being sold. Not to many USDM P73 ecus out there for sale, or ITR USDM intake manifolds. There are fewer USDM ITR parts out there for sale. So just something to think about before you buy a motor.

Ideally you'd want a Del Sol B16, 96 or 97. The evap system is identical to yours so you wouldn't have to change all that shit if you go with the Del Sol ecu. 99-00 SI ecu needs to see fuel tank pressure, + canister vent and bypass solenoid. If they're not there you'll have the cel on.. If you buy a jdm b16b you'll need to do what I did and change and add a bunch of shit to comply.

Thanks guys. I actually found a USDM GSR motor. I am considering getting a JDM LSD tranny for it. Should I go B16B tranny or ITR tranny? Please tell me the pros and cons of having either setup. You guys are a big help!

Back