JDM Motor vs. USDM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95hatchcx

What is the difference between a JDM vs. a USDM as
far as swapping the motor into a 95 Hatch. What are
some good web sites that sell low mileage ls motors?

There are no real difference in terms of the swap. Most of the time JDM motors have more agressive internals i.e. Pistons, and cams. JDM blocks have different name stampings, on them and what not, but it really does not mean anything. For instance here in the US we got, the B16A2, B16A3, and B17A1. In Japan they got the B16A, and it came in a couple versions.

the wiring harnesses are backwards

this makes then useless for anything other than stealing plugs and wire from, so you can modify your stock harness to work with the new engine

most of the JDM ECUs have a speed limiter at 112mph :thumbsdown:

but yes you can run a JDM engine with a USDM ecu
you can also use a USDM harness (just costs more than modifying your stock one ;) )

What about the other components of a swap like the axles, shift linkage, and mounts????? can those jdm and usdm parts be mixed and matched b'cuz i heard somewhere that jdm itr axles won't fit usdm itr axles????????????

the axle thing is correct

the 00+ JDM ITR uses the same size outter piece as the preludes/accords (36mm i think)

the USDM ITR uses the same as the rest of the civics and integras in the US (33mm i think)

i had problems with this ... my ITR brake swap is from a 00+ JDM ITR so i need to get custom axles now :(

Cant you just use usdm b-series axles?

I'm sorry but I don' t think that hmotorsonline.com is that great of a site. I think the cheapest site around to get an LS motor online would be hybridrevolution.com,
They tell you that you could probably find a cheaper priced B18b but I haven't seen any and they're shipping charges aren't that bad.

Originally posted by Incredib1e@Jan 4 2004, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry but I don' t think that hmotorsonline.com is that great of a site. I think the cheapest site around to get an LS motor online would be hybridrevolution.com,
They tell you that you could probably find a cheaper priced B18b but I haven't seen any and they're shipping charges aren't that bad.

Attention Kmart shoppers, there is a special on B18B's on aisle 5.

Sorry guy, but cheap DOES NOT mean better, of course it also doesn't garantee a perfect motor if it cost more, shopping around takes more than price checking, reputations in this business are made by word of mouth, and those that have good ones, have them for a reason.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jan 4 2004, 03:21 PM-->
Incredib1e
@Jan 4 2004, 07:43 AM

Attention Kmart shoppers, there is a special on B18B's on aisle 5.

Sorry guy, but cheap DOES NOT mean better, of course it also doesn't garantee a perfect motor if it cost more, shopping around takes more than price checking, reputations in this business are made by word of mouth, and those that have good ones, have them for a reason.

:concur:

however, Hybridrevolution is a good place. The guy who runs that site is the owner of Civicland, and is also a member here. I was going to go through Eric (owner of hybridrev.) however, I found a semiwrecked GSR locally so I bought that.

Back