Jdm obd1 distributor on a USDM ob2 harness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunyguy

I need to know how to wire the distributor into the harness... it is internally coiled. the car is a 98 prelude SH and the motor is a 94 jdm..... anyone got a diagram?

Find your hot wire that comes on with the ignition switch. Run that wire to the distributor and tap it in. It will connect to the wire that gives power to the + side of the coil.

One wire. Open up your distributor and you should be able to find the + side of the coil.

Here's how I tapped into my external coil harness. I believe the wire I tapped into was black/yellow, but I can't remember.

s404d589c46ceb.jpg

hmmm... but my plugs are totally different for the distributor also... like my old motor had the ckp, tdc sensors on the crank... the new distributor has them inside.... how do I wire all that up. i think bigjussin did it but i tried to send him an email but it got sent back to me saying it was an invalid address. I also have a p13 ecu and an obd2 -> obd1 harness.

My apologies. I have not touched an OBD2 dizzy. You need to wire up more than just the hot wire. Good luck

all that you should have to do is repin the distributor plug, the only difference on a obd1 vs obd2 distributor wiring wise is the number of plugs, the obd 1 has two plugs and the obd 2 had one plug, so all that you do is buy an obd 2 distributor plug and pin the obd 1 wires into the obd 2 distributor plug in the same order they they are in, in the obd 1 plugs, have some one verify this for you or search for the topic whereas i am not 100% sure and the results of wrong info here could be disasterous...

You have to run the 4 wires that used to run down to the ckp,tdc sensors that where on the crank, up to the distributor and add those to the distributor wirng. there will be the same number of wires once you run those up to the distibutor but the colors wont match. i did this swap awhile ago in my accord but i have since switched over to obd2 so i have nothing to reference.

Originally posted by project_accord@Mar 28 2004, 07:24 PM
You have to run the 4 wires that used to run down to the ckp,tdc sensors that where on the crank, up to the distributor and add those to the distributor wirng. there will be the same number of wires once you run those up to the distibutor but the colors wont match. i did this swap awhile ago in my accord but i have since switched over to obd2 so i have nothing to reference.

but what do i do with the coil's plug? it used to be externally coiled - now its internally...

so its just a wire with a 12 volt signal that is on when the ignition is on right? - i just let all the other wires hang loose with the ends terminated? (on the coil plug)

im having the same problem but its a 93 jdm h22 on a 97 accord. i just double checked the wiring to the distributor and the ckp sensor and everything is right. so do i have to hook up the coil too? i bought a distributor cap from honda and it was an external coil....so could this be why the car isnt starting?

OK boys. Just like in the picture. My car was originally external coil. A simple spade connector and about a foot of wire is all you need. Find the wire in your spare plug that comes on with the key. Shove that spade connector in that space. Find the + side of the internal coil inside of your new distributor. Trace that wire to the outside of the distributor. Tap into that same wire with the wire that you just plugged in(the spade). Clean it up, put your cap back on and check for spark. You only have that one wire to connect. That gives power to your coil with the key. OBD2 issues I leave to someone else.

*sigh*

I guess I'll just have to play with it and see what results i get - I'll keep you all posted this weekend - should be doing some stuff sunday.

Originally posted by aznprid3@Mar 30 2004, 10:19 PM
im having the same problem but its a 93 jdm h22 on a 97 accord. i just double checked the wiring to the distributor and the ckp sensor and everything is right. so do i have to hook up the coil too? i bought a distributor cap from honda and it was an external coil....so could this be why the car isnt starting?

as for you, the distributor cap will work - you just need to run the ignitor wire from the internal coil to the external coil - the opposite of me

The power wire is there someplace. You had internal before(stock), and now you are external? You must have a coil to get spark. All you need is ground, and hot+ with the key.

If you are wired correctly, and get nothing, test the coil. I have a spare external from my old F22. I know it works......It's my backup if the internal coil takes a shit. :D

Originally posted by imprt92+Apr 15 2004, 06:37 PM-->
hey tab do you know what wire is the pos inside the dist? thanks
imprt92
@Apr 15 2004, 06:37 PM
hey tab do you know what wire is the pos inside the dist? thanks

I don't usually do this, but I guess I was feeling energetic. I unwrapped my wires and snapped a pic, especially since this topic comes up so frequently. The more you know, the more you know you didn't know when you did the fucking swap. <_<

Listen up noobies. Everyone on this site started as a NOOB, at one time or another. Maybe before joining this site. A NOOB can do this shit, I did, several of us have. I did it all by myself, not even a buddy to help. :)

OK. Look at the picture. I traced the wire from the inside of the distributor the first time, and so that's where I spliced in. If I were to do this again, I would go further down the line. The wire we want power to is black yellow. It is a thin black/yellow wire along side a blue wire going to a two pin harness. Oddly, my two pin connector plugs into one with a blue wire and a yellow wire. So Black/yellow turns to yellow. Remember that my source wire is also black/yellow, but is much thicker.

So, your choice. Go thick black/yellow to thin black/yellow. Or, go thick black/yellow to the thick yellow that turns into the thin black/yellow. ;)

My tap wire is yellow(it's what I had.) I used a spade connector shoved into the seemingly extra harness end that was attached to your old coil.

s407f27068b2d7.jpg

Back