jdm p72 chip

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

I just learned that the jdm p72 has a speed limiter of 115mph. What is the best chip I can buy? I want the speed limit gone of course and max power for a mostly stock GSR.

Thanks

the best chip you can buy is a 29C256. They cost about $3.39-$5 depending on the source. You can program them over and over with progressively better tunes as you approach the ideal tune for your motor.

Where can I buy the 29C256 chip? And, where can I have it programmed? And what should I tell the people who'll program it? For a stock GSR engine, when is the best RPM for VTEC to kick in, and what is the best max RPM, etc.

How much does it cost to have someone program it? Is it possible to do it myself?

Thanks!

Originally posted by truoss@Jan 17 2004, 08:55 AM
Where can I buy the 29C256 chip? And, where can I have it programmed? And what should I tell the people who'll program it? For a stock GSR engine, when is the best RPM for VTEC to kick in, and what is the best max RPM, etc.

How much does it cost to have someone program it? Is it possible to do it myself?

Thanks!

For a stock GS-R, the best VTEC changeover is 4400 RPM and the best rev limiter is 8200 RPM. Wait... oh my God! Those couldn't be the stock settings could they?

look up "scottgsr6.bin" on PGMFI. Made for stock GSR motor. AGGRESSIVE timing on both low+high cams, aggressive fueling when in high-load situations, relatively unchanged idle/cruise. Scott had his butterflies removed, so the low end might be a little wacky for a stock-stock GSR.

Things changed (you could open the bin and see yourself but...):
-Low end timing advanced heavily(93 octane gas around here)
-Mid to mid-high timing advanced to bring it between 26-32 degrees where possible
-Timing retard after peak power production
-Fuel at/close to WOT increased across the board
-Fuel dropped off in parallel with timing past peak power production
-Vtec/rev points changed.
-Flag 6011 set to enable debugmode (he had wiring issues - IAT / Purge reversal caused ECU damage. If you have a "normal" car and no codes under normal circumstances CHANGE THIS!!! This is one of the two flags the infamous "mugen" chips use...)

I've yet to see a stock honda/acura program that made either optimum power OR fuel efficiency on a stock motor.

Back