JDM pass California smog??? Charcoal Canister

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Only place I 'found' this info was on h-t too. I went to the CA BAR site and used the search engine with anything and everything that would get me to any topic about JDM motors in CA. I came up with nothing. I used at least 6 different fraises....

Hopefully a ref is going to call me today and let me know what the deal is

The story I read on H-T could be based on So-Cal and some Ref that is following the 'rules' exactly and is turning people away. Well, I am hoping this might be the case

Frog. Are you having to go to Yuba College for the BAR? The Ref likes to act a little dumb lol. I told him I had a ZC and he played stupid and asked "What's a ZC"...I was thinking "o....ok..." Then he likes to have about 5 of his students visually search your engine for anything wrong...the first time they found shit I didn't even know about lol. Good Luck though...I'm headed back there tomorrow for my third inspection.

Do you have a phone # for the College. I looked online but the site isn't very informative about the REF

i just called an 800 # and they scheduled an appointment at the nearest BAR station.. happened to be at the local CC too

i have a 1991 intrega with a JDM (B18B) and i just got it smog 3 days ago and it passed! i have C.A.R.B headers, intakei live in CA TOO.

Just go to your normal emissions place and run the car through. Like I said so long as you have no CEL and a cat and the swap was done right there will be no problem. Just dont point out the fact that you have any kind of swap in the car. They will start the car, check for a CEL, plug in to the OBD port for OBDII or do an exhaust gas test OBDI and older and lastly they will check the gas cap. If you have OBDII they wont even open your hood if you are OBDI then you better have CARB legal bolt ons. If you do fail for some reason then just fix the problem and go back, if you fail the cost covers 3 more tests for you to ge things right.

I had to call 1-800-622-7733, but they're going to ask you for the number on the infraction. The ref told me that you needed to have a ticket to give him a visit, but not sure on that one. I can get the infraction number for bad emmisions and you could just give that to the people at the 800 number, and he should bar the engine at the same time. Not positive though.

I called the number and they said they needed to call the nearest Ref and he'd call me in 2-3 days...been 3 days today.

I think i know what I need to do to get it to pass visually and I 'think' itll pass the sniffer but maybe I don;t know enough about it.

nofx: Let me know what you had to do....stuff you didn't know about

Did you get it 'smogged' or certified (BAR'd) by a referee AND smogged?

if it passes his visual test.. he goes onto the sniffer test.. if it passes, he puts a sticker in your door jamb and off you go.. you pay $38.50 i think.. for the test and smog certificate

thats how it was when i passed BAR.. but that was a few years ago

I'm hoping thats what happens for me too. I need that ECU found one but its obd2 so no go.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Got the noise when I fully depress the clutch to go away! Was told how to adjust the pedal placement.

Still whistle noise at idle and neutral but I figure its the throw out bearing

I called the number and they said they needed to call the nearest Ref and he'd call me in 2-3 days...been 3 days today.

I think i know what I need to do to get it to pass visually and I 'think' itll pass the sniffer but maybe I don;t know enough about it.

nofx: Let me know what you had to do....stuff you didn't know about

Well, when I went, they did a full visual inspection, with like 5 students. They found a vacuum line to the EGR that was plugged up, and it was stuffed up in the vacuum box area lol. I didn't know about it. But then I had to change me vacuum box to the SI one, and basically everything that had anything to do with running the engine had to be correct, like my car was HF, so EVERYTHING had to be SI. I've got all that done, now I just need to get it running correctly, and get my code 1 to go away...even though I have a new O2 sensor. Did they tell you they had to call the REF because you didn't have an infraction number? Did they have to just see if the ref had time or something?

I just called 'wondering about' the 'possibility' of JDM engines in a CA car.

Next time you're out at the college...try to get me a number because I live out of town and would like to speak to them.

All of it doesn't matter until I get a USDM p30 ECU because I need that IACV hooked up to my engine harness and the vacuum line to the canister.

I am Si so I hope that means wiring is good to go. Just had to run a Knock Sensor

Some Ref out of Sac called me and left a message.

He said it needs to be a "direct replacement" to be from JDM

Like what what said before about it needing to be offered in your vehicle in the states

Dont know what I'm going to do. Guess I'm going to try after I get an ECU

Would suck to need to go buy a D16Z6 swap when its all said and done. I don't drive it much but I want to be able to register it and drive it around still. But I can run turbo then....I'm pretty sure that GReddy turbo is still legal in CA

But I was hoping to get certified and turn it into a poor mans type r...then shoot for the N/A 200 whp mark.

My hatch was made in Canada...wonder if that's a loop hole? Nope lol

sorry to hear the bad news...maybe you can get around it since it is a b16 and the b16 came in the Civic Del Sol

the ref told me that its the easiest because the Del Sol and Civic hatch are the same exact chassis, just different bodies..

its worth a try.. you can mention that the del sol vtec has the same exact chassis as the Civic SI.. and your engine is technically a 1.6l vtec ... :D .. haha .. might work

Back