JDM pass California smog??? Charcoal Canister

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

or just keep my mouth shut and see what happens....

but if he starts arguing....oh yea....del sol will be a topic I bring up for sure!

This is all bull anyway. If the car breaths better then a lot of other cars with other 'tolerances' for the sniffer. What about an '86 Monte Carlo??? That thing can be a lot more dirty and still roll on the streets.....Bull

they just assume that its gonna be used for street racing .. so they just make it a little more difficult

on that note.. i think i want a JDM GSR swap for the teggie..

That price is STILL ridiculous IMO

Back when I was doing my first swap ('98) I wanted a GSR swap.

I bought one and after a long story...I sent it back. 3 weeks later...I bought the LS swap for $1800 and Trust Exhaust instead (that lasted 6 years before going out) for almost $600

those swaps are still expensive.....3K for a cheap set up...? At least thats what I was looking at when I bought the B16. I wanted it again....duh. But it was still $3000-3300 for either USDM or JDM....so I went B16 for $1900 +$200 for delivery from so-cal. He seems to carry 'a'lot' of stuff too. ITR suspension and body parts too. He's got B20's for $500 (seemed cheap)

swap in '98 was $3800 (which was the low side in Nor-Cal then)

Why wont you just listen to someone that knows and has done JDM legal swaps? Just take it in for emissions when its running right and have carb legal bolt ons, you will pass no problem.

i've passed a JDM motor myself.. but according to the new law, you cant use a JDM motor unless the USDM version of it came in your car originally

Like I said....I will try and go from there. I'm gonna see what it 'sniffs' first....as it sits.

Last edited:
Yea...hes mad as if I'm taking a deaf ear...or a blind eye to such suggestions.

I'm down to just get a sticker.....BAM!

Iam not mad at all. Just saying you dont need to jump through all the hoops and red tape to a get JDM swap registered. You just dont need to mention it when you go through the sniffer. I know about the laws on swaps been doing them for years now. And by law any swap that is not from the same chassis and OBD is not legal, doesnt matter if it USDM or JDM. So my USDM B18b1swap is not legal but it will pass. Why will these pass cause you dont say anything and they dont know. The common guy working the emissions station wont know a swap if he sees one and chances are if you are OBD2 they wont even open your hood.

Your right. I did that with my LS swap in it for 10yrs. I would just take it in.

But I don't have an evap purge solenoid and JDM ecu doesn't use it. Its a part they look at for sure. I have the USDM plug on the harness. If I hook one up...wondering if it will mess with the ecu (I know it doesn't have one but not sure how the ecu will or wont recognize it)

I'm down to try it and do what I used to do.

If the JDM ecu doesnt use a evap then just unpin the plug at the ecu for the evap wires. That way the ECU wont be messed with by seeing something it not setup for. Have everything hooked in the engine bay. So long as your ecu sets readyness (no CEI) you should be good to go.

Old Thread but I'm still in route to getting my hatchie BAR'd

I got the B16A3 Intake Manifold and a TB with MAP location on the top. IM is cleaned out and new gaskets
(Hondata Intake and OEM TB) with new Injector seals (3 per injector)

And the newest is a USDM p30 ECU. I finally gave up and bought one. $275 OTD at a recycler in Ranch Cordova, CA.

Probably putting it in next weekend and BAR it before registration is due at end of Feb.

I have been told by 3 people that BAR is easier in CA now b/c they only give you the tag and then you go to someone else to smog. I just want the tag and I know I can smog it at a mom and pop's place.

Last edited:
goodluck.. hopefully you get someone who doesnt realize its a JDM motor... wish they would have done that smog thing w/ me.. i would have passed the second time around

Yeah....they just send you away to smog wherever you want. I'll keep my fingers crossed. My car is clean and I can bullshit enough to keep it off topic as much as possible lol Give me my STICKER!!

they didnt allow me to stand around while they inspected it.. made me wait in the waiting room or stand outside the gate... i stood outside the gate and smoked.. lol.. but i could see them from outside..... probably dont want you to know what they're looking for or exactly what you planned, distract them so they possibly look over something

Back