JDM question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
Ok, I heard a couple of things and want to put this to rest.
If I were to purchase a jdm engine, would I be able to use the engine wire harness it comes with?
I heard some crap that you can't because it is setup for RHD. Is this true?
Also, jdm engines often have a higher compression ratio then usdm, and I heard they require a higher octane of gas then usdm. So does a STOCK JDM b16/b18 require the higher octane?
Thanks

as far as the octane goes in japan they run on higher octane, not exactly sure what octane it is but i know its higher. as far as the harness goes you can still use the harness that comes with the motor but it would be a lot easier to use the harness thats already in your car. At most all you half to run is the 2 vtec wires to your ecu ground one pin the knock sensor to your ecu and if your getting a b18c then you gotta wire the secondary intake. not 100% sure tho so if im wrong someone correct me

Originally posted by b16ahatch@Aug 29 2003, 11:15 PM
as far as the octane goes in japan they run on higher octane, not exactly sure what octane it is but i know its higher. as far as the harness goes you can still use the harness that comes with the motor but it would be a lot easier to use the harness thats already in your car. At most all you half to run is the 2 vtec wires to your ecu ground one pin the knock sensor to your ecu and if your getting a b18c then you gotta wire the secondary intake. not 100% sure tho so if im wrong someone correct me

The part about the harness doesn't make much sense. I'm talking about the harness connected to the engine. If i'm not mistaken, there is a harness on the chassis, and one on the engine. By saying what you just said, I would have to use my CX engine harness, which I dont think you can do for simply plug and play and dont think will work. Or is it just one big harness.
Please correct me if i'm wrong, for I'm still learning.
What I want to know is, if I got a sir2 or b18b/c...would the jdm harness that comes with the engine, plug into the harness on my chassis.
(excluding wiring vtec and assuming obd is the same)

Also, would I be able to use regular 87 octane or do jdm engines require a higher octane?
Thanks

The ECU in a JDM is on the otherside of the car, so all the connections are on the other side of the car, which means if you try to use the JDM harness, you have to extend the canon plugs to the otherside of the car. It can be done, I know somene that did it, and felt stupid for wasting all the time and not just using his own harness. You can use you CX harness (as long as it is the same OBD as the motor), and you will need to extend a couple wires on the tranny side because the DOHC is a bigger motor and they don't reach, but it plugs right in. Also you will have to run extra wires depending on the additional systems your motor has ie: vtec, IAB's (on a GSR), knock sensor (unless you run a chipped ECU), etc...

As far as the octane, 10.4:1 isn't that high, but I would still use the best I could afford to be safe, but you should be fine on nasty ass 87.

Back