JDM Type R steering wheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:hmm: I was wondering if anyone knows if the JDM steering wheels are interchangable with the USDM or if modifications need to be done to make 'em work? I've seen the MOMO Type R steering wheel on ebay and it looks cool but I don't wanna spend a couple hundred just to find out that I've purchased an item I can't use. I want to keep the whole airbag idea so thats why i haven't gone with any other steering wheels at the present time and if this would work it would be perfect. Any info y'all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Sure thing. I wish I had an answer to your question... but I've never been too interested in swapping steering wheels. I like my airbag.

;)

If you're looking at a true Momo wheel, you might only need to get a Momo steering wheel hub adapter. I think that's what it's called...

Well from experience I have taken mine out and replaced it with a SiR wheel but it had no airbag and for soem reason I couldn't get the horn to work but you should be fine, From what I have seen you should stick with your cars steering wheel, as in CTR wheel into civic and ITR wheel in teggy.

Milan

If you're looking at a true Momo wheel, you might only need to get a Momo steering wheel hub adapter. I think that's what it's called...

Thats what I was thinking but my i was told by a guy at a shop here (who I think is just after my money anyways) that if the threads were different I was out of luck. Its the Civic '00 Type R steering wheel but they are Honda steering wheels but with sponsorship from MOMO. I am just tired of my old grey one and i wanna keep my airbag as well. Here's a pic of it. Let me know what you think. :spin:
3076b.jpg

I would also Kinda like to know because my steering wheel is like a buses, it's cercumfrance is massive. I want something small but with air bags.

i like that steering wheel a lot. but its freakin expensive. i wanted to swap it in my teg...but im not paying $400 for it.

the real deal jdm R steering wheels with airbags are mucho bucks, it should just bolt up to your civic. There might be some small amount of rewiring but I doubt it. I say buy it and give it a try, the only problem is you won't know if the airbag works or not until it has to from an accident and even at that you will need a replacement, may I suggest a cheaper replacement to steering wheels.

Sparco makes some nice shit, but it sounds like you want that oem finish with three black spoke wheels.

Milan

Milan, you're right about the whole airbag thing (not finding out if it works until after the fact) but I figure it's better to have one than not. I love speed and all but if that fateful accident should happen one day (and I pray that it doesnt) I want something there to at least aid in saving my ass b/c I can always get another car. My father works at a Honda dealer here in GA and he said that he knows for a fact that Japanese airbags are different in structure than the US version, personally I have no idea and I recon they can't be tested over here. I'm not really sure. I'm hoping to catch a deal some day :worthy: and catch one within a resonable price range but I figure that I better quit :sleep: and just compromise in the meantime.

Ok that steering wheel is very very nice dont get me wrong but like was said earlier u will never actually know if the airbag works until it would have to when it would be to late and u would have to replace the wheel. dont get all caught up in the whol;e airbag thing anyway because i will tell you from experience they never work when they need to and always do when they shouldnt. my brother drove over a curb in the mall parking lot with my mothers civic at about 20 miles an hr and both bags went....wait it gets better i work at a body shop and a vehicle we fixed a few yrs ago was a brand new land cruiser, a woman hit a tree with it she hit so fucking hard that it literally bent the frame rails around the tree until they were touching on the other side of the tree. doesnt sound real but ive seen it all and this shit happened. ok with that said this accident caused 27,000 dollars damage to the vehicle and believe it or not we fixed it whole new frame the whole nine yards but anyway thats besides the point...the fucking airbags did not deploy. my boss fought tooth and nail with toyota for a month and they would not do anything about it all they would say is that it did not hit DIRECTLY on a sensor and that is why they did not deploy! so needless to say airbags are really alot more than they are chalked up to be so like they say just get a sparco or some chit.

my long elaborated .02 about airbags

i would just keep the stock steering wheel and put the money into performance parts. at least you KNOW youre not taking any chances with your stock steering wheel.

the steering wheel will fit right in. my friend put a JDM ITR one into his ITR without a problem. I don't know about in other states, but in california, if your car comes with a airbag and you take it out by means other than an accident, such as swapping steering wheels, its illegal. But who cars, most cops won't look at small shit like that unless they're really big dickheads who have nothing better to do like small town cops, i.e. Daly City, Colma, Broadmoore, and those other lil piss ant places right south of san francisco who couldn't become real police officers and give out tickets all day like jerk offs... sorry had to vent a lil steam:)

I figure I should just ask this while I'm here, If anyone feels that I'm jacking their thread you are free to harrass me and make me feel like shit and not answer my question. Anyways, does anyone know where I could find the MOMO ITR steering wheel w/o the airbag and where to find the MOMO adapt. hub for that steering wheel on my crx?

Back