1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jdm Type R Swap in 96 CX Collection of Questions

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by KloggMonkey, Jun 28, 2004.

1. KloggMonkey

KloggMonkey Member

I have yet to see any posts to cover all the issues of putting a Jdm Itr into the CX. After searching the net for countless hours, I have decided to post up all my noobish questions. First of all this is what I am working with.... I have a 96 CX with some mild mods done to it(sohc vtec head, intake, exhaust). I need to put in a B18C-R 98+ Spec Motor Swap that I just got from passwordjdm.

1. Will a helms or likewise book for the 98' Usdm Itr be close enough to the jdm one to suffice? (or some good reference online)
    because every last hose and wire is cut and I am not sure what all of them are, where they go, or if my CX civic will even need them.

2. Axles ... what problems will I run into and what can be done about it.. (the abs rings, the 36mm thing, and etc.)besides the axles password sent me are fubared... the cv-boots are cut up and skeeting out green grease all over the box they came in.

3. Exhaust ..WTF... the whole 2.5 inches that really is 60mm(2.3") thing...and how do I do it. Run 2.5" piping with no cat and a 2.5" universal muffler or 60mm pipe with no cat and the 60mm apexi N1 universal or something else?

4. Radiator...and fan(s) what should I get that will cool the motor good and still fit without cuting stuff or buying mounts and weird stuff, and not cost $600 like flyudine and fal stuff does...

5. Mounts... What do I need... I have heard 59 1/2 different things here too. And after I get the right things... how do I make them better...should I get some kind of hasport thing or just some inserts from somewhere.

6. Lastly, Any 1 of a hundered other problems that might come up for me that I didn't think to list here.

2. lsvteccrx

lsvteccrx Senior Member

axles- use 94-00 integra w/abs
    exhaust- get an exhaust shop to make it work.
    Stock radiator should work
    mounts- you should be able to use a combo of your stock ones and the type r ones

hopefully this helps. dbut dont take only my word for it. none of this info is proven by me. im just telling you what i think.

3. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

1) Yes

2) Use the USDM ones (94-01 teg, 99-00 Si, DelSol DOHC vtec), and tell Leo at Password you want a partial refund for the axles (if you paid under the assumption it was a complete swap).

3) Muffler shop

4) Stock radiator is fine

5) Mix yours and the motors

6) post when you need them

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

1- close enough. its about 95% i'd say.
    you're going to need to use your cx's harness on the motor in someway or another. 96-98 civics have wierd methods of going through the firewall.

Assuming you already modified it for vtec, you're pretty much done with wiring anyway. there's no vtec presure on the jdm itr, and if you convert to obd1 and use a p28, there's no need to wire in the knock sensor either.

2-
    axels are axles... if the ones you got are fubar, sned them back. if its not worth your time, go to autozone and pick up any 94+ ls/gsr integra axels. the JDM ones have accord/prelude outer splines, and so, unles you went JDM 5-lug as well, you can't use the jdm axels anyway.

3-
    my buddy's JDM ITR swap into his del sol, he ran the 4-1 jdm header, a modified for length random technolgies cat, and a tanadabe cat back. there was no real issue with diameter.

4-
    PWR radiators are under 300 bucks. autozone electric 12" fans are 60.
    if 360 is still too much for you,
    a dual core del sol vtec radiator and a stock fan will work, but still won't be much cheaper.

5-
    If you're serious about your car and racing, get the hasports.
    if not, the stock mounts on the motor will bolt right up, sans the rear mount, which you need the 99-00 si mount. there's a complete article on this in the swap articles forum, called 6th gen swap basicis or somethign to that extent.

6-
    depends on how you chose to wire it up and what kid of ecu you run.

5. KloggMonkey

KloggMonkey Member

Thanks for the help,

I will talk to Leo about the axles and see if he will give me some money back or send me the axles I need.

One other question about the axles, do all USDM ones (94-01 teg, 99-00 Si, DelSol DOHC vtec), have the one male axle and one female axle.... or is that something that only the lsd tranny ones have. So would I have to get axles from USDM type r? But then the problem of the abs rings comes up... can I remove the rings or do I need to get axles from a car with lsd and not abs ... which probably doesn't exsist.

Do you have any more info about PWR radiators, like which model I would need to get and where(autozone?) or any claims to fame that they have.

As far as the exhaust goes I will buy the Apexi N1 universal and have my local shop do the pipe... The shop is very funny Dave's muffler house in Junction City KS ....There slogan is ... no muff to tuff... lol it was on collegehumor.com one day.

Then should I do all 60mm pipe to match the inlet on the muffler or should I do 2.5 inch and then shrink it down to 60mm right before the muffler?

Does anyone have any good or bad to say about the N1 or suggestions for something better or different.

As far as the wiring and ECU stuff goes this is what I have worked out in my head I will use the jdm type r one P73.. and use an hks speed limit defenser to get rid of the 112 mph thing and then just use the harness from my CX and modify it to fit the new motor. I also have an Apexi V-afc that I can use for fuel mix and what not
    Anyone have any different ideas or suggestions here?

6. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

The male is the passengerside, and the female is the driverside, both have male outer joints.

7. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

as john stated above, the outers are both male, and the insides are one of each.

as for abs rings- if youcar has abs, then you need the axeles with rings. if your car doesn't have abs, you can run either. the ring will not get in the way of non-abs cars.

you won't find pwr in autozone. they are from australia.
    http://www.pwr-performance.com/
    PN# 01011921 is what you'd want.

buy it from earl: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=864750
    310 shipped.
    done biz. with him plenty of times. good guy.

the n1 is fucking loud. not just loud, but fucking loud. it was designed for turbo cars mostly- as turbo cars are quieter than n/a.
    if it were me, i'd go with something else like a tanabe or thermal

've heard mixed reviews about that hks thing.

if it were me, i'd buy a skunk2 or -insert program for dohc specs here- chipped p28, obd2a->1 conversion harness, and then go to the dyno with your AFC and lean out those 10: a/f's that the chip provides.
    my boy E put 189 WHP with that setup on a bone stock ITR motor.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted