JDMB16A 2G into 97 civic EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OBI

Ok I have a 97 civic ex and I threw a rod. I am looking to do a b-series swap.
I found a JDM b16a (2nd generation). My question, after reading the Swap Articles, is why is the b16a2 the better swap for a 6th gen (96-00) civic? The b16a2 is obd1 and the 6th gen civic is obd2; Right? And would the JDM b16a (2nd gen) swapped from: JDM Honda 92-95 civic SiR2, 93-95 Del Sol VTEC, be considered a B16A2 as the JDM motor is OBD1, as said by Totaljdm.com?

Also Totaljdm.com says all I will need is a wiring harness (I guess different from the one included in the swap) and it should be a completely bolt-in swap. What do you think?

This is definitely the most informative forum I have ever been apart of. :worthy:
Thanks for your help!

Ok, there's some different ways of explaining the motor codes, I'll try mine for you...
In the US the B16A2 is OBD II and IIb

99-00 Si OBD IIb
96-97 Del Sol vtec OBD II
(there is also the B16A3 from the 93-94 Del Sol vtec, it's OBD I)

In Japan, they don't have the 2's or 1's or 3's at the end, so all the B16A's are simply that B16A.

They came in Civic/CRX(Del Sol 93-97) fom 89-00.

If you can get a 96-98 B16A which tecnically, I would call a 3rd gen, since OBD 0 is 1st, and OBD I is 2nd, than it would indeed be a drop in, using your harness ( can't use the JDM harness, because it is for a RHD, and hooks up backwards).

Are you saying that the JDM b16A out of the JDM Honda 92-95 civic SiR2, 93-95 Del Sol VTEC will not be a good choice for my swap.

Is it worth $2,500 b/4 install? Other swaps for around the same price?

Originally posted by OBI@Apr 18 2004, 10:09 AM
Are you saying that the JDM b16A out of the JDM Honda 92-95 civic SiR2, 93-95 Del Sol VTEC will not be a good choice for my swap.

get the same OBD model as your car. As John said, there are actually 4 diffrent OBD versions of the b16. Get the one that matches your car. OBD1, OBDII, and OBDIIb all cost pretty much the same. Just get the style that matches you car. It will be ALOT easier.

Originally posted by OBI@Apr 18 2004, 03:09 PM

Correct, not only will you run into a couple wiring issues, you will also not be smog legal depending on your local laws. You should have no problem finding a OBD II B16A.

cool for some reason I thought I read that the USDM B16A2 was obd1 but I see its obdII. Thanks for the info and I will keep looking.

I want a b16 any1 know where I can get a good deal. Any1 have 1 to sell?

Back