Jeef's plan, what do you think

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jeef

NO MA'AM
VIP
Well after almost a year of owning my 05 Silverado I am thinking about selling it. The payments are starting to get overwhelming, I can afford it them no problem but when I add gas, maitenance, and insurance into the picture it can get expensive. I do care about it looking mint and am afraid of door dings, with a big turck it can be hard to do sometimes. The sticker was almost 40k on it, (I actually paid less for it than what it was going for during the employee pricing for everyone event. I looked into it.) so I def want it to stay nice. I do love the truck and it has a great ride but everyday driving of it kind of sucks. I miss being able to corner fast, fitting in tight parking lots, and getting good gas milage.
I am thinking about selling the truck for mid 20's which is in the middle for all of the values I have looked up for the truck. The truck is loaded and has a very rare 310hp engine. I will probably have to take my exhaust system off, god I love the sound of the dynomax bullet. When I start my truck in the morning I think my neighbors think the world is coming to an end. I hope to have 7-10k in equity depending on the selling price.

I am planning on buying a 73-87 4x4Chevy Full sized pick up. They are cheap, easy to work on, easy to lift, and I have wanted one since I was 6. My plans are to get any rust issues straightened out on it, put a mild lift on it to fit 33's with good ground clearance, and then put 5.3 or 6.0 liter from a newer silverado in there. I will decide if I want to go FI or stick with carbs. Its that or I want to put a punched out 350 in there. The 454 would be nice but I need to get some mpg out of this thing. Once the truck is in good working shape I will have a good truck for the occassional offroading (which I miss, I haven't done any since I sold my zr2 s10), and a good towing/ hauling truck.

At this point I will need a car for daily driving. My brother is planning on getting rid of his 95 civic so I will be able to pick up for a good price. I want to keep this for a while and then buy a 99+ Mustang GT. I can probably get one for a pretty good price (no where near 15k, see that kids thread). I haven't owned a rwd car with power. My vw didnt have any power. I love mashing the gas in the truck, the torque throws you back and with the exhaust a v8 sound is hard to beat. Sorry but the sound of a 4cyl reving to 8k doesnt do it for me anymore. So I figure that a mustang or camaro gets the vote here since they are rwd, have v8s, and are 2 doors.

What do you guys think? I don't want to hear shit about the mustang just because you think they suck. If you think they are bad say it intelligently like some important parts on them always break, etc. Hondas are good cars and all but I have owned two and want to experience other cars.

Truck with 5.3L + turbo = :thumbsup:

You'll still get somewhat decent gas mileage.

You could also look into the Colorado or Canyon- they're rated at 20/27, and both engine choices are inlines so you could fab up a turbo system pretty easily.

99+ Mustang GT = :thumbsup:

Cheap good thrills... I see them all the time for right around 10k in awesome condition.

Hondas and Mustangs both have their ups and downs- they're just in different areas. I honestly think that most modern cars are relatively good. We're lucky to be in a time where you can walk off a dealer lot with pretty much anything and have a halfway decent car, regardless of make.

Shop around, 35k mileage 99-01 GTs go for around 12k or so.

I'd love to get one of those myself. Have you thought about a 99 or 01 Cobra though? They've got the IRS and a bit more umph from the dohc 4v 4.6 over that of the 260 hp GT model. Insurance shouldn't be that bad on a 4 or 6 year old used car.

Good luck with the sale/car purchase.

jeff if your around somtime my friend is selling a 81 (i think) full size thats lifed 6 in and has a newer 350 crate motor in it with 35's lmk if your interested and you could take a look at it

Sporty + Truck utility without all the gawdy flares, huge wheels, and sillyness of the Extreme = my truck.

2004 Colorado ZQ8 225hp, 220 ft lbs Vortec 3500 I5, 5 speed manual tranny

15.5@89 mph, handles well enough to be confident and impress a few people at autocross, and 18-21 mpg beating the living shinola out of it 90% of the time, 25~ on the highway on cruise at 85. I love this truck. It's actually FUN to drive.

rado.jpg

:thumbsup:

I might still get one in the near future- but if I did get another truck, it might have to be a full size.

Have you considered a ridgeline?

OR.. Get a civic hatch AND a 80's 4x4. Daily one, play the other. You should be able to fit the initial bill with 7-10k.

Nope. I have no need for another Civic. And no- I haven't considered the Ridgeline for myself. I'm nowhere close to needing a new truck yet.

I would never buy a ridgeline. Only 5,000 pounds towing and a 5' bed, not enough. I would buy an avalanche over that any day.
Dale any clue on how much he wants for the truck? Any idea of the mpg on it? I am interested. 35's are a little bigger than I want but it could do. Is it an auto?

Quoted post[/post]]
I would never buy a ridgeline. Only 5,000 pounds towing and a 5' bed, not enough. I would buy an avalanche over that any day.
Dale any clue on how much he wants for the truck? Any idea of the mpg on it? I am interested. 35's are a little bigger than I want but it could do. Is it an auto?

i think $3,000 i dont know how many mpg it gets beacause he doesn't drive it cuz it buns to much gas lol. but i must its huge. no rot but will need paint. its half black half black primer. lmk if you would like to take alook at it.

Airjockie that is a nice truck, I think I need to stay around 33's. I am only 5'8" and the woman is 5'3" so the truck has to be a little bit lower. We'll see though.

Dale I'll let you know sometime later in the week. I can always sell the 35s and put 33s on it.

I will hopefully be getting the civic within the next week or two. I will have to put brakes and maybe a clutch in it. Anyone want to help me put it in, I can supply the air tools and beer? I really need to sell the condo and get a house so I have a garage I can actually work on something in.

The clutch master or slave cylinder took a shit on the civic today so my bro bought a 2002 tacoma. On Saturday I should be the new owner of the civic. I test drove the taco, that is a nice truck. I just have to do brakes and fix the cylinder then Ill have a decent beater.

I want to sell the Silverado but I think I love the thing too much to do it.

Quoted post[/post]]
Sporty + Truck utility without all the gawdy flares, huge wheels, and sillyness of the Extreme = my truck.

2004 Colorado ZQ8 225hp, 220 ft lbs Vortec 3500 I5, 5 speed manual tranny

15.5@89 mph, handles well enough to be confident and impress a few people at autocross, and 18-21 mpg beating the living shinola out of it 90% of the time, 25~ on the highway on cruise at 85. I love this truck. It's actually FUN to drive.

rado.jpg

Damn you get 25 mpg? I get 17 if I'm lucky with my Colorado. Guess its all that extra weight.

I got the civc running today. I just have to replace the drum brakes sometime, I hate drum brakes. This car will remain stock for a while, eventhough I want to do an intake or exhaust the engine is too quiet. Bought a new couch and kitchen table this weekend plus xmas is coming up.
I think a turbo or engine swap will be in order. I am still used to the approx 320hp of the truck. Over all its not that bad to get back into a honda.

Back