jerking/tugging steering wheel- axle?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

so my 94 civic just started doing this the other day- on decel/shifting or coasting in neutral there is an intermittent jerk/tug to the right in the steering wheel. I havent felt in on accel at all.

what could this be? I'm thinking pass side axle

or diff on the way out?

I doubt it's the alignment as it wouldn't just show up out of the blue like that, especially on a Civic. Only caster or a large difference in camber from the two front wheels will cause a pull. Since the caster on a Civic is not adjustable and camber is only adjustable with kits one side would have had to shift significantly which would probably be noticeable by inspecting the front wheels.

My first thought would be either tires, a sticking brake caliper, or a CV axle failing and binding up. Try switching the position of your two front tires and see if the pull changes directions. If it does then the tires are at fault. If not I would begin by inspecting the axles and calipers for sticking.

Yeah jack up the front end of your car and make sure nothing is loose or worn in the front end too (shake both wheels side to side & up and down while they're off the ground).

yeah it definitely doesnt feel like an alignment problem, even tho i do have adjustable camber/caster (ingalls upper arms) and it was professionally aligned about 2 years ago when I changed the suspension setup.

Its not really a pull but more of a sudden jerking, kinda feels like little pieces of grit getting caught in a cv and binding it up momentarily or something.

no traction rods

i still have to jack it up and check the front end, will do that as soon as i get some time probably this weekend, rollin the gf's whip for now- 2000 saturn ls fuckin woohoo
hang.gif

If it's jerking the steering wheel I would have to think something is binding up or a suspension component is worn out. Most likely the direction it is pulling the wheel to is the side that's causing the problem as well. When you check out the front end also try spinning the wheels and make sure everything rotates smoothly, or put it in gear and run it while it's sitting on jack stands.

Also make sure you swap those front tires across and drive it again.. tires can cause all sorts of weird handling problems and pull related issues.

Have you recently hit a curb or anything? In my 90CRX SI I hit a curb and it twisted my sway bar and i had those symptoms.

twisted the swaybar?? never even heard of that, something to look for tho thx for the heads up, i'll be taking a look at the car tomorrow

ive twisted a sway bar in my 1986 montecarlo(it was a circle track racecar though,and i hit a wall) but twisted bar is possible

Back