job: commute VS pay

what should i do?

• quit and take one of these if they offer you a position

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • keep a job on the back burner, and when you go to quit, see if they will give you a better offer to

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
I've blind applied to a couple jobs the past few days to explore my options a little more. Now that I have a couple years experience in the corprate world, companies actually look at me.

Today, I had two companies contact me, both wanting to schedule an interview.

The first is about 45 min away (shelton) and the 2nd is about an hour away (Trumbull)

Both jobs offer a higher pay range.
I currently make 45k.

the one in shelton has a range of 50-65 doe
the one in trumbel has a range of 55-75 doe

My current "commute" is about 3 miles. I barely finish a cig before i'm pulling into the parking lot, and in the winter, i'm just stating to get heat. lol

I'm starting to feel that my job is a dead end. I haven't even had a review in 18 months (since i started on first shift). I like my job. It's frustrating some times, but that's anywhere. I like most of the people I work with, and I get along with just about everyone. I think my biggest gripe, is that its a dead end, i'm going no where, and the future is a lame-duck. They don't match 401k (so i don't even have one), my xmass bonus, and only bonus of the year was a measely couple hundred bucks. my health insurance blows... costs me almost 300 a month for the shit and the co-pays are huge.

If i were to get a raise and had a better benefits package, i wouldn't even consider moving jobs. But since i dont think that's going to happen, i'm looking. perhaps, casually right now, but deep down, i'm relly considering it.

I guess, I almost feel bad. I'm a VERY needed employee, and when i miss a day or take a day off, lots of stuff doesn't get done. People notice. My company is small. We have 11 people total in our IT dept. 4 developers, 2 lan guys, a sql guy, a fax/printing guy, and 2 dialer/phone people along with my boss/it director who doesn't do much IT work... mostly the liason for the business aspect and meetings and such.

I'm pretty much trying to talk myself into leaving the company. If I leave, there's a BUTT load of things i have to show people, and i'll probably come up with a 40-page exit transcript to pass on. Since its my co-workers who will be left with the blunt of the work load, i will feel bad about leaving. they have enough to do as it is. Even if they have a replacement for me when i leave, there is just so much to learn... it will probably take months. I dunno... I don't really want to do this to them. They are all older than me, but we've had poker nights and such and have hung out outside work, and i'd consider them all friends as well as co-workers. And even more so, THEY gave me the chance to make it... no one else was looking to hire a colelge drop out with no experience. They were... and it turns out I actually do know wtf i'm talking about :p For that, I'm grateful, as I now have the experience that 3 years ago, these people wouldn't have even looked at me, let alone ask me to interview with them.

As always, I leave you with...

Thoughts?

The only downside would be the STi's horrible gas mileage.

I wouldn't stay with a dead-end job. The fact that you haven't had a review in 18 months makes me leary, because my company did the same shit to me.

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm a VERY needed employee, and when i miss a day or take a day off, lots of stuff doesn't get done. People notice. My company is small. We have 11 people total in our IT dept. 4 developers, 2 lan guys, a sql guy, a fax/printing guy, and 2 dialer/phone people along with my boss/it director who doesn't do much IT work... mostly the liason for the business aspect and meetings and such.

First order of business, interview with BOTH companies that are offering you a position. DONT breath a word of this to ANYBODY you work with.

Interview with both companies, tour the offices, shake some hands, and make an educated analysis of the situation: Will you fit in? Are the people you met nice? How is the office? What are your opportunities for advancement?

AFTER you do the above, approach your manager/supervisor. Tell them your feelings . .

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm a VERY needed employee, and when i miss a day or take a day off, lots of stuff doesn't get done. People notice.

It may be that your current employer can't pay you what you're worth because they cant afford it. Maybe they dont see you as being as the asset you claim to be . . in that case you have to sell yourself to them as they are probably close-minded and not paying attention.

Either way, your in your mid 20's. Time to make something of yourself.

. . . while your at it, buy my DJ equipment damnit!!!

Why is moving closer to the new job out of the question? The commute doesn't have to be a factor. I say go for it, just make sure you will be happy at the new place.

Let me give my point of view on this.

Is it TOTALLY dead end? Or just looking Dead End?

I went through a similar situation recently.. I was seriously PISSED at my boss. He was riding my ass like crazy, blaming me for all kinds of shit, and just being a total dick. Also remember he's my next door neighbor, and we are friends outside of work..

I started looking around for jobs, emailing resumes, things like that. I was just sick of my job. I have been underpaid, overworked, and just felt like i have been nothing more than a body. I do 5 different jobs, and only get paid for 1/2 of 1 job. I just didn't care anymore i was getting so pissed..

So I had a few interviews on the line, but being that my boss was a friend outside of work, i wanted to give him a heads up.. I walked into his office, and basically said "I'm looking for another job" and he said why.. I said "because you have become a fucking dick in the past 6 months"... You would have thought i tied his dog to a tree and shot it point blank with a .50 cal rifle. He looked like his heart sank. He said "is this about the money?" and i flipped on him, saying my job is more than the money to me.

Long story short... After about a 30 minute conversation, i walked out with an apology, and a raise, with a guarantee of another raise next year. :)

I didn't want to leave my job, and would have been MISERABLE if i went back into IT... But it was a bluff I was willing to take... I was that pissed.

As far as the 2 hour drive... Dont.. Unless your getting paid mileage. I have to drive from my house (Griswold) to a site in Bloomfield ALOT.. 125 miles round trip. I get paid $0.34 / mile if i use my car, or i take a company car, and expense the gas... Either way... The drive gets rather boring. Especially since i quit smoking... lol.

Quoted post[/post]]
Why is moving closer to the new job out of the question? The commute doesn't have to be a factor. I say go for it, just make sure you will be happy at the new place.

i can't afford to move out right now... i just don't have enough saved up to buy anything decent. everyting i can afford is a shit hole. Sure, i can buy a POS and put 50k into it, but in the end, im still paying the same amount...

Quoted post[/post]]
get interviewed and if they offer you a job and its what you want, then i say take the job.

thank you captain obvious. lol

Quoted post[/post]]
Let me give my point of view on this.

Is it TOTALLY dead end? Or just looking Dead End?

there's really no where else for me to go up... maybe "senior developer" or some shit, but effectively, i'll be doing the same job, for probably ever. While its vast and different every day, its still the same thing. And i'm fine with that... its what i will be doing anywhere else too...

I went through a similar situation recently.. I was seriously PISSED at my boss.

Long story short... After about a 30 minute conversation, i walked out with an apology, and a raise, with a guarantee of another raise next year. :)

i have no reason to tell off my boss... Frankly, he has no control over our pays... hell, he bitches sometimes about it too... I wish it was that simple. I;d have to go to the VP of the company for that to work... and since i don't work directly for him nor any of my work directly effects him, I'm just another guy who can get laid off/replaced.

As far as the 2 hour drive... Dont..

its an hour each way, down rte 8. its a non-busy road, and the drive isn't that bad.. its just pretty far. prob 30 miles 1 way i'd guess...

Unless your getting paid mileage. I have to drive from my house (Griswold) to a site in Bloomfield ALOT.. 125 miles round trip. I get paid $0.34 / mile if i use my car, or i take a company car, and expense the gas... Either way... The drive gets rather boring. Especially since i quit smoking... lol.

they won't be paying me mileage to drive to work.. no one does that. i chose to live where i do, so its my drive.. not theirs. if your company will pay me to drive into work everyday, are they hiring? lol

I'd buy a late 90s civic and leave it bone stock for a to and from work car. then drive the hour to your new job. however, before leaving your current job, let them know how you feel. if they offer to do jack shit for you, give them your 2 weeks. If they have issues with you knowing X many things and not having enough other employees around that know what you know, offer to stay on for however long it takes but your new pay rate will be the same of your new job. if they cant match it give them your 2 weeks and never look back.

besides 1 hour isnt shit. a lot of people in the DC/MD area drive 1 hour to work with out traffic, sometimes 2-3 hours WITH traffic every single day.

Also, who says youll be living with the parents for ever? If the job works out well you could buy a house/condo or rent an apartment with garage.

Quoted post[/post]]
besides 1 hour isnt shit. a lot of people in the DC/MD area drive 1 hour to work with out traffic, sometimes 2-3 hours WITH traffic every single day.

SHIT... DC Drivers SUCK ASS. Took me from 3 hours to drive from VA/MD border on 95 to BWI airport on friday. MD-295 was closed for an accident, 195 had construction, accident on 95 had the left lane closed... What a clusterfuck. Ended up goin all the way up 95 to MD-100.

And B... Do you do any SQL or Visual C work? I might know one or 2 things at my company... :)

move to dc metro area and make some real money. I havent made 45k in like 5 years.

im up over 80 and theres more room for growth here. step out of your comfort zone

:werd:

Look harder. Finish your degree too- that will open up more doors.

Obviously, I would finish up the interview process and see where it takes you. It's apparent that you don't want to stay where you are, either because you're unhappy, they don't appreciate you, or some combination of the two.

Another point- if you were just blind-firing your resume out and came up with these two positions, what would you be able to dig up if you really tried to look hard for something?

you say that your supervisor bitches about the same things you do, and that you know all the others well. why don't you talk to your supervisor about how you feel and that you have 2 other job offers, and see if he will talk to the VP about a raise. it would look better for him to go to the VP rather than you going up there because your supervisor can tell him that you are a valuable employee.

Driving an hour one way to work makes your day all that much worse. When I was up in T-Town and commuting to Southington and to Farmington it was a good hour one way. By the time you get home after putting in 8-10 hours in you are physically and mentally drained as it adds another 2 hours onto your day. Unless its a fantastic opportunity I would say pass it up and look for something in the metro hartford area as there would be 10 times the opportunities than those two towns. Keep looking, there are alot of opportunities out there, you just have to be open to them and dig a little deeper.

Quoted post[/post]]
move to dc metro area and make some real money. I havent made 45k in like 5 years.

im up over 80 and theres more room for growth here. step out of your comfort zone

not an option. i could go to cali and make bank too... but a $400,000 shack, i'm all set with.

Quoted post[/post]]
Look harder. Finish your degree too- that will open up more doors.

yeah, sometime... maybe next year i'll start taking a couple night classes or something

Obviously, I would finish up the interview process and see where it takes you. It's apparent that you don't want to stay where you are, either because you're unhappy, they don't appreciate you, or some combination of the two.

honestly, what it comes down to is money...

Another point- if you were just blind-firing your resume out and came up with these two positions, what would you be able to dig up if you really tried to look hard for something?

yeah i know... i didn't even send a cover letter out with either of these... I pretty much just clicked on apply for job and went on to the next one that looked good. lol

Quoted post[/post]]
that company sucks fucking balls dude fuck them get out whiel you can

lol i knew that was coming...

Quoted post[/post]]
Driving an hour one way to work makes your day all that much worse. When I was up in T-Town and commuting to Southington and to Farmington it was a good hour one way. By the time you get home after putting in 8-10 hours in you are physically and mentally drained as it adds another 2 hours onto your day. Unless its a fantastic opportunity I would say pass it up and look for something in the metro hartford area as there would be 10 times the opportunities than those two towns. Keep looking, there are alot of opportunities out there, you just have to be open to them and dig a little deeper.

I dunno... sometimes after work, i take the stupid long way home.. i like driving and unwinding after a hard days work... i don't think it would be a pain coming home. but the morning would suck. i suck at mornings.com
it's all rte 8, so its not like i have to deal with 84's bullshite through waterbury... i dont think i've ever seen a traffic jam on rte 8.

Back