job: commute VS pay

what should i do?

• quit and take one of these if they offer you a position

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • keep a job on the back burner, and when you go to quit, see if they will give you a better offer to

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Go interview and just see how the vibe is, your a smart guy you will figure it out.

I think you will find a change of scenery in a bigger company what you possibly crave. I dont know you that well but it sounds like you might like a larger corporate company with other areas you may be able to obtain outside of IT. 30-45 mins each way isnt that bad and if the traffic is moderate I can see how it would be an enjoyable ride home.

Goodluck with whatever way you choose but from the sounds of it; its time for a change.

There normally is a backup on route 8 at the 84 interchange. And plus, its fine for a while, but it will get old REALLY fast.

Quoted post[/post]]

Also costs alot more to live. and thats sayin ALOT because ct is expensive

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
move to dc metro area and make some real money. I havent made 45k in like 5 years.

im up over 80 and theres more room for growth here. step out of your comfort zone

not an option. i could go to cali and make bank too... but a $400,000 shack, i'm all set with.

a huge misconception among people that dont know better. There are suburbs in this area that are some of the top liveable communities in the nation. Less than 30 mins (by car) and have houses that range from 200k - millions.

I saw you pricing homes for 300.

I just chose to buy a more expensive house, doesnt mean there are less expensive equally as nice places to live. When its all said and done im moving north to vermont or above. But for now, DC/Metro, Cali, dallas fortworth, or chicago is where the money is.

and most companies pay for your travel in this area. which is what i use. I take a commuter train to DC then the subway (which isnt like a new york subway.. it's actually nice and clean and 95% business people) to the hoover building.

eh, something to keep in mind

Quoted post[/post]]
:werd:

Look harder. Finish your degree too- that will open up more doors.

Obviously, I would finish up the interview process and see where it takes you. It's apparent that you don't want to stay where you are, either because you're unhappy, they don't appreciate you, or some combination of the two.

Another point- if you were just blind-firing your resume out and came up with these two positions, what would you be able to dig up if you really tried to look hard for something?

:ditto: :ditto: :concur:

i drive 45 miles a day to and from work and i hate it....

I have about a 40-mile per day average commute to and from work.

20 miles each way isn't too bad.

I'd stick close to home. My buddy has an 1.5 hour commute and it kills him. He has to leave real early and he gets home late. He's completely drained at the end of the commute typically.

Well especially with all the gas crisis wh have going on in America. No one can make the choice for you. But it seems like the farther job will offer you more money for just an extra 15 or 20 minute drive. Why not just go for the job with more money. Fuk it bro my brother takes a freakin honda civic to work just to save gas, but actually drives a gas guzzling tt 300zx.

Interview, then decide.

That's funny as hell, I went for a job today in Meriden and I live near Shelton :)

Which place is this in Shelton - I know everyone in this town in the IT field.

naw, def starts with a C.... its something like that

oh man. Of all the companies, one I can't do shit for ya. Um, Find out who the hiring person is - And did you get this through a hiring agency? (Headhunter) or on your own ?

Yeah definately interview. You should have a yearly review. I like working for a large company. in the past 2 years I have been promoted 3 times and my pay has doubled from when i first started. I would definatly get out if you haven't had any raises. I drive 40 miles a day to work and it takes about an hour. Working 12 hours shifts though means I only have 10 hours off of work on the half of the week that I do work. I don't mind it too much. The gas costs about $30 a week in the jeep I am driving whcih gets terrible gas milage. I say go get interviewed. and if either offer a job to you take it.

Everyone thinks gas is so expensive.. at $30 a week I only spend 1560 a year on gas. Not a lot of money.

When you break it down the gas price increase isn't alot of money at 2.69 a gallon and 10 gallons a week you spend 1398.8 a year. At 3.09 a gallon and 10 gallons a week you spend 1606.8 a year. a whopping $200 increase for the year. Big deal.

Actually, here is my view on the whole thing - regardless of commute:

Interview. Check them out, you never know unless you investigate it. It could turn out to be a completely tit job that you'll love more than now.

I have no problem getting up an hour earlier, home an hour later, if what I do between those times is exciting and I enjoy it. If they appreciate me, or if I appreciate them.

Even if you're happy in your current job, interviewing for another job gives you a chance to stay practiced with your interview tactics.

Quoted post[/post]]
Even if you're happy in your current job, interviewing for another job gives you a chance to stay practiced with your interview tactics.

. . And you never know whats outside your "shell" unless you go out and look.

B, if you leave, you can always come back to your hometown and know you made the right choice.

If you dont, you will be one of those old lozers at the bar saying, "woulda, coulda, shoulda".

Back