jury duty next week- cant get selected

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Not quite the right Google. :)

Jury nullification is the concept of a jury finding someone not-guilty even though the letter of the law may read as though they are guilty. Juries were never meant to be black and white interpreters of the law; that's the judges job! The jury is meant to be the moral compass of the courtroom. Judges absolutely despise not having complete control over their courtroom however, usually (and illegally) instructing juries to merely interpret the letter of the law, saying that morality has no bearing on a jury's decision when in fact the exact opposite is true.

Find a way to mention that concept and you'll be told goodbye and to have a nice life.

Last edited:
Jury nullification is a good way to express to the court that your a free thinking individual and chances are they will excuse you. Like B said, they want people that can be manipulated.

Someone told a kid I went to high school with that if he didn't submit the selective service forms, he would get in trouble, or face jail time.

Nothing happened. Also, no Jury duty. Ever.

That same kid also grew up into a really psychotic guy who isn't afraid to try anything. Stopped paying taxes 10 years ago, and has not seen even one ill effect.

He also ignores all pleas for emissions for the past 8 years. Again, never seen ill effect.

You know what I learned ? That guy is totally awesome, and that most of what we do we just do because we are scared to see what happens if we don't. Just about all reported consequences are simply lies.

:werd: I was coerced into signing my selective service form by my parents because they had the same fear.

If you're under 18, don't sign that bitch when you get it!

One day, it will all catch up to said guy, and he'll have a butt-ton of fees and face jail time for driving on suspended licenses/etc if he ends up in an accident or runs over a kid.

I just got off the phone with that guy, and he would like to point out that those who pay their taxes and dodge the selective service will also likely end up with a suspended licence or jailtime if they get in an accident or run over a kid.

He also said something about "lashing out" and perhaps "Thinking an opposing or shocking viewpoint through before countering with something so easily dismantled."

And we're getting together this weekend to go shooting.

you probably did and dont remember, for the longest time i never thought i did but im in the system... must have been something they pushed through without me noticing "here sign this, its not important, just do it and forget about it" kind of thing.

Dont fret you can check for your number here.

https://www.sss.gov/default.htm

If you ever want a job with the feds or are attached to a company that requires you to get a background investigation because of contracts and such your going to need your selective service number.

I bet you it keeps a log of whoever enters their info into the website. If you arent registered, they pry come after you.

You know you don't even have to go right? They send the piece of mail to what they assume is your current address but they have no way of proving that you actually receive it...there will be no negative repercussions for not showing up. No one is going to beat down your door and arrest you or fine you, and you won't be flagged as someone who bailed on jury duty...

Just burn that motherfucker

You know you don't even have to go right? They send the piece of mail to what they assume is your current address but they have no way of proving that you actually receive it...there will be no negative repercussions for not showing up. No one is going to beat down your door and arrest you or fine you, and you won't be flagged as someone who bailed on jury duty...

Just burn that motherfucker
worst advice ever.

If you don't go, a warrant is posted for your arrest. Which means, next time a cop runs your plate, you're not driving your car home that night.

How do they verify that you received mail? If you've moved and it didn't get forwarded to your new address, how are you at all responsible?

When you move, you legally have 48 hours to update your mailing address at the post office and obtain a sticker from your police department or dmv to place on your license with your new address.

If you fail to do so, it's not their problem.

I don't know what it's like in Connecticut but in California, when you get called for jury duty, you show up at the courthouse with like 400 other people and they send 90% of you home almost immediately. I may have not gone to a jury duty call, like 6 months ago. I have not received ANY correspondence indicating any kind of problem. When there is a warrant, even a bench warrant, for your arrest, you have to be notified...and I just registered a vehicle in my name here. I'm pretty confident you can't do that if there is a warrant out for your arrest. Just sayin'

Back