jury duty next week- cant get selected

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My buddy who is a cop didn't go to jury duty about 5 years ago. Nothing ever came of it. I wouldn't make a habit of it. There really is no way to prove that you actually received the notice.

Exactly. My old boss had skipped several jury duties over the course of his life, sometimes in between DUI arrests and never were there any repercussions...

when i got mine a few years ago i just called and told them i had moved to a different county.
automatically excused.

in regards to selective service, if you dont register you dont get financial aid or federal jobs, pretty much anything related to the feds. you have until 26 to do so. also, as part of Bush's great education reform, No Child Left Behind, any school that is to receive federally funding must provide info on students and be allowed on campus. however, it is at students digression to provide further info, sign up or register.

regarding jury duty, my friends missed a few, mostly because of moving, and he hasnt been arrested, fined or detained yet. in california, you can mark quite a few options to avoid serving it. ive mostly chosen, "if i dont work, i dont eat," box and sent them a letter from my employer and its worked everytime.

Ugh i know. guess ill just answer the questions honestly.

What if i refuse to answer the questions?

You'll be held in contempt of court.

Your best bet is to explain that your income depends on you being able to work, and it would be an undue burden for you to serve on a jury at this point in your life. Don't stretch the truth, don't lie -- you'll be under oath.

The 5th amendment only protects you if your answer incriminates you. So if they ask "What did you have to breakfast" Answer unless you ate a baby.

Didnt get selected today. Got let out at 1pm. Have to go back in tomorrow because its a 2 day stint here in Manhattan.

I've only received one jury duty notice. I ignored it completely and have never received another in the 9 years since.
I've even been pulled over since then, and they never took me to jail, Rodney Kinged me, or anything like that. If you make a decision based on fear, you've already made the wrong decision.

North pole Alaska is a little bit differnt lifestyle than Manhattan, New York. Just sayin

Oh please, just because north pole isn't the same as Manhattan doesn't mean there's an nypd juror enforcement taskforce out there rounding up the truants.

yeah, but in alaska they just assume that you were eaten by the narwhals. or the seals have turned the tides and clubbed you to death.

and it would take a 5 day trek to even get to your area to look for you.
which would be a huge waste of tax payers money.

they need that money to keep the seals on the correct end of the clubs, otherwise, total chaos would ensue...

That's not funny, my father was killed by narwhals.

Back