Just an idea

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

maykelcj

I was thinking maybe I can use my hf transmission and DOHC ZC on a new body style. My 89 CRX has seen better days. I would love to have the great gas millage on an EG or EK. Something nice to drive to work and travel. Will the full set-up work? Please don't tell me will be slow, I know, I just want a nice body and great gas millage. and the VX trans is out of the question, I want to work with what I have. I also have nice shocks and springs on my CRX don't know if they will fit.

Is it too crazy or might be possible? THX

well it wont exactly be legal, but in many places no one cares. if you live somewhere with an emissions check or vehicle inspection its not going to fly. you can only swap an engine of the same year or newer.

i would think it wouldnt be too hard to put your ZC setup into a eg or ek, but since i dont have any experience with it im just guessing.

well it wont exactly be legal, but in many places no one cares. if you live somewhere with an emissions check or vehicle inspection its not going to fly. you can only swap an engine of the same year or newer.

i would think it wouldnt be too hard to put your ZC setup into a eg or ek, but since i dont have any experience with it im just guessing.

No, I don't have any kind of emissions or inspections.

What it worries me is the transmission. I think the new body takes a cable shifter, but the Hf tranny is that bar thing.

I guess I need to find a honda guy willing to open the hod for me to check stuff around, but that is like finding a gold mine.:eek:

Last edited:
The EGs use a hydraulic operated clutch where as the tranny you have is cable operated, that is really the only thing that is going to give you trouble.

wow, yeah that's going to be a pain. Will the speedometer be a cable also or you think its too different? Man I need to see one of these cars engine bay, I'm going to Google it now.

Hasport makes a mount to run a cable tranny in a hydro car.

Another thing to consider, look at the curb weights of an HF compared to an EG or EK. A lot of your gas mileage comes from the lack of weight of the car.

Another thing to consider, look at the curb weights of an HF compared to an EG or EK. A lot of your gas mileage comes from the lack of weight of the car.

Yeah that's true. That's way I would like to swap in my DOHC in it too. That way i got some extra torque to move the fat lady around and hopefully not loose much millage. The thing I like most is the fact I can do 80mh with the engine revving only 2400rpms. Florida is mostly flat, so I think the added weight wont slow me down much.

Edit:
I found this Honda weight list
Wow the heaviest EG is 600lb more than my HF!!!

Last edited:
wow, yeah that's going to be a pain. Will the speedometer be a cable also or you think its too different? Man I need to see one of these cars engine bay, I'm going to Google it now.

That wouldnt be a problem you can just swap the VVS.

Back