just bought a B16 A2 block w/essentials

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DelSlo

so ive just purchased a b16a2 block with pistons, and crank out of a 2001 civic Sir. plannin on building the motor this winter for my 93 sol. lots of options come to mind when building this honda motor, just a little iffy on a few things, no boost in the plans, just a solid motor with a few tweaks. first off, i need a head, i plan on keepin it obd 1 if posisble for ease of installation. ive been told a GSR head would work and bolt right on and owuld be good, i cant see this helping power seeing as how the comb. chamber will be bigger meaning less compression obviously. another thing, running a b18 head on a b16 block, im sure its been done but which timing belt do i use, if there is a difference? and as far as ECU is concerned im assuming id use whatever ecu works with that head...? any advice or facts would be appreciated, im going to have to find a manual cause trying to find anything on my computer at my shop for a Civic SIR is impossible...according to mitchells on demand 5 not only does a 01 civic Sir not exist but neither does a 01 civic si ????? id hate to see this turn into a nightmare when it comes to ordering parts! thanx again and this is an awesome helpful site here! glad to be a part!

ok first, your b16a2 is obd2b, not obd1.

next, there was no 01 SiR as far as I know. SiR is the canadians version of the USDM Si.

You have an entire b16 block and head? why would you awnt to put a gsr head on it, (I may be mistaken) but wouldn't that drop compression? Since you're going allmotor that would be counterproductive.

Find a 99-00 Si ECU, it'll work best with your 99-00 Si(SiR) motor.

Originally posted by DelSlo+Oct 24 2004, 05:14 PM-->
so ive just purchased a b16a2 block with pistons, and crank out of a 2001 civic Sir. plannin on building the motor this winter for my 93 sol. lots of options come to mind when building this honda motor, just a little iffy on a few things, no boost in the plans, just a solid motor with a few tweaks. first off, i need a head, i plan on keepin it obd 1 if posisble for ease of installation. ive been told a GSR head would work and bolt right on and owuld be good, i cant see this helping power seeing as how the comb. chamber will be bigger meaning less compression obviously. another thing, running a b18 head on a b16 block, im sure its been done but which timing belt do i use, if there is a difference? and as far as ECU is concerned im assuming id use whatever ecu works with that head...? any advice or facts would be appreciated, im going to have to find a manual cause trying to find anything on my computer at my shop for a Civic SIR is impossible...according to mitchells on demand 5 not only does a 01 civic Sir not exist but neither does a 01 civic si ????? id hate to see this turn into a nightmare when it comes to ordering parts! thanx again and this is an awesome helpful site here! glad to be a part!
[post=406844]Quoted post[/post]​

revolution8k
@Oct 24 2004, 07:00 PM
ok first, your b16a2 is obd2b, not obd1.

next, there was no 01 SiR as far as I know. SiR is the canadians version of the USDM Si.

You have an entire b16 block and head? why would you awnt to put a gsr head on it, (I may be mistaken) but wouldn't that drop compression? Since you're going allmotor that would be counterproductive.

Find a 99-00 Si ECU, it'll work best with your 99-00 Si(SiR) motor.
[post=406867]Quoted post[/post]​

You guys are both wrong. GSR chambers are smaller because of the large quench areas. Find some pics of gsr heads and compare them to the b16a heads, and you will see exactly what I mean.

ok, igeuss ill clarify, i only have the b16a2 block. no head,. it was a warranty block from a honda dealership, guy blew the rings , they gave him a new block and pistons rings, crank etc, but honda never took the block back for whatever reason, i was told it was out of a 01 SIR, since my 93 sol is obd 1 thats why i was aiming for an obd1 head, i was told it wuold swap right onto the block and i could then keep all my obd 1 harnesses. if i can get a b16 head i will but ive been told gsr would work as well not really sure which direction to head.

thanx for hte info on the SIR i was lost when i couldnt find anything for it! ;)

gsr head will work, but it will lower your compression by .2

if you want obd1, get an obd1 head of some sort.

ok thanx alot for the info. but still, what about the timing belt, with a GSR head on a B16 block what timing belt should be used, if it makes a difference at all?

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Oct 25 2004, 01:32 AM-->
You guys are both wrong. GSR chambers are smaller because of the large quench areas. Find some pics of gsr heads and compare them to the b16a heads, and you will see exactly what I mean.
[post=406971]Quoted post[/post]​

That's why I said I may be mistaken... but...

GSRCRXsi
@Oct 25 2004, 11:01 AM
dont you mean raise comp. by .2?
[post=407082]Quoted post[/post]​

i thought it was lower?

Si = 10.4:1
GSR= 10.2:1

Even though B has the Si as 10.2:1.

A gsr head will raise your compression. The difference in compresson of an Si and gsr are mainly due to the pistons, not the head.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Oct 27 2004, 03:12 PM
A gsr head will raise your compression. The difference in compresson of an Si and gsr are mainly due to the pistons, not the head.
[post=408140]Quoted post[/post]​

:yes:

As far as I know, you will run whichever Timing belt that matches your oil and water pump. GSR oil/water pump, GSR Timing belt, SiR oil/water Pump, SiR Timing belt.

For your application, I would just stick with a JDM OBD1 B16A head and a P30 ECU and call it a day. Direct bolt on. Throw on a B16 tranny with LSD, or better yet, a JDM ITR tranny and you're set.

But while you have your engine out and head off why dont you take this time to have some fun with it? Get some forged pistons and rods or something....since you're not going to boost why dont you raise the compression? Now is the time my friend. Maybe even do up a PNP on your head, or some new cams? Just a thought...

peace.

Originally posted by adnoh@Oct 27 2004, 02:48 PM
As far as I know, you will run whichever Timing belt that matches your oil and water pump. GSR oil/water pump, GSR Timing belt, SiR oil/water Pump, SiR Timing belt.
[post=408161]Quoted post[/post]​

sorry to say but your wrong if u have a b16 block use a b16 timing belt the b16 block is shorter than the gsr block.

Originally posted by R.E.Developement+Oct 27 2004, 05:14 PM-->
@Oct 27 2004, 02:48 PM
As far as I know, you will run whichever Timing belt that matches your oil and water pump.  GSR oil/water pump, GSR Timing belt, SiR oil/water Pump, SiR Timing belt.
[post=408161]Quoted post[/post]​

sorry to say but your wrong if u have a b16 block use a b16 timing belt the b16 block is shorter than the gsr block.
[post=408248]Quoted post[/post]​

My bad.

Back