just bought a b16a CRX.. now it won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sirdon

I'm on my 4th CRX now and happy, well sort of... Bought the car on ebay and drove it home Sunday. First time I drove a b16a CRX.. damn transmission is geared LOW!! Anyway, I drove the car to work on Monday and it now it's stuck at work because it will not start. I initially thought the battery was dead so I jumped it, but that didn't work. So I check out the cells in the battery. The cells looked terrible, so I replaced the battery. That didn't work either. So now my last option is to beat on the starter with my ice scraper.. seriously (lol!!) that didn't work. I couldn't see very well (dark out and no flashlight), but the cap on top of the starter seemed a little loose. I believe it was a solenoid cap. Before I tow the damn car, does anyone think my problem may not be the starter? Tomorrow morning I'm going to beat on the starter a little with a hammer.. maybe that will do the trick. Also, keep in mind I haven't had the car for 48 hours yet, so my research is nill right now. I'm assuming a '94 del sol vtec starter is the proper replacement?? Thanks!

do the headlights work?
^^^Well obviously its not the battery. From what I can make of his story.

What noises does it make when you try to start it?
Does it even sound like it wants to start?
Does it start but as soon as you let off the key it will die?

Cause if you just hear a click when you turn the key, its most likely your starter.
If it dies when you let off the key, its most likely your ignition switch.

But youcan never be to sure when it comes to electrical probs.

The headlights do work along with stereo and other accessories. It also does make a "click" noise when I turn the key. I'm assuming its my starter, but the damn thing won't even fire up once. I thought if I'd hit the starter a couple of times I might get lucky with it firing up, but no luck.

Does anyone know if the 94 Del Sol Vtec starter is the proper replacement? I'm sure I've got an obd0 engine. The throttle body says "PGM FI" on it and I have two oxygen sensors... can't remember what the valve cover looks like as far as which letters are bigger "VTEC" versus "DOHC."

Thanks for all the help.

problem solved

The previous owner installed a kill switch near the coin tray... geesh. All is well now. Thanks to all that offered advice.

yup del sol starter will word or even a honda civic ex 92 -95

Back