Just bought a roll of CF and resin

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
I'm going to try and wrap my Matrix spoiler in CF. Anyone tried this on their own yet? It comes with instructions but I'm sure they're vague as hell. I watched some DIY special on it and it seems the key is squeequing:)lol:) the resin smooth and flat. Then a lil wetsand and a coat of some clear to keep it nicey nice :D

Its a roll of CF mat and then you mix a resin much like FG resin. Then you brush the resin into the mat and squeeqe(sp?) smooth.

CF vinyl looks NOTHING like real CF.

how much was the cf? and why didn't you do your speaker box in CF y0?

Its a roll of CF mat and then you mix a resin much like FG resin. Then you brush the resin into the mat and squeeqe(sp?) smooth.

CF vinyl looks NOTHING like real CF.
oooo...ok...i gotcha...youll have to take step by step pics so we can see your progress yo!

so how much is a replacement wing for when you jack this one up? :p

napa sells some soft squeege's that will work much much better
they are very flexible

If I fuck it up I plan on peeling it off and repainting the wing. $100 is a lot cheaper then the only CF wing out there for the Matrix. Plus the one out is huge and goudy as fuck. Mine looks like an extension of the stocker :)

newats.JPG

med_gallery_10267_376_146681.jpg

(^NOT my car)

Don't you need to use a vacuum system to get the resin to penetrate the cloth? I thought I heard that the CF cloth repelled the resin so you needed to seal the part in a vac bag and let it dry like that.

Thats dry-CF, I believe. Pre-preg CF has resin already in it, you just need to bond it with the mating material with more resin.

What I'd do:
1) Make a mold of your stock wing
2) Get a high density foam core of your wing made from the mold.
3) Wrap the core in the CF after you've covered it with the catalyst.

Vacuum bagging works to provide the highest strength bond, but it's not needed in order for the carbon fiber to cure. I made a CF skimboard with a balsa core that was strong as hell. Vacuum bagged it, and it turned out well. Just make sure you don't have any bubbles when you wrap it.

If I fuck it up I plan on peeling it off and repainting the wing. $100 is a lot cheaper then the only CF wing out there for the Matrix. Plus the one out is huge and goudy as fuck. Mine looks like an extension of the stocker :)
just so you know, trying to peel CF off your wing will be like trying to peeling apart two things that have been JB welded together.

hmmm.......I'm still in the Fiberglass mentallity. I can peel that shit off anything. OK, so I'll sand it WAY down :lol:

if ur gonna peel the carbon fiber off the wing make it easier on yourself and get some beeswax and coat the wing with it before you lay down the carbon fiber. if ya do that it wont stick to the wing and it will pop right off after it has cured.

Back