Just bought another new car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I want to poke my eyes out whenever I see those "things"

Congrats!!!!

Yup. I just bought one today for my mom. Grey, 5 speed hatchie.

Sweet little car. wound up being about $2000 more than the VW cabrio we found (2000 w/ 60k miles on it).

Cel actually copied someone !

How you like it so far? How does your mom like it?

I found its pretty damn comfortable and not too shabby in the performance area. It gets up to 80 relatively quick and maintains speed well on the highway. :)

Yeah I compare it to my ED Civic hatch, only it costs 10 times more.

The Neon was a great car, but was on par with a 1965 Jaguar XKE when it came to maintenance. Every weekend the car would demand more and more from me.

I'm not ready to say it's a piece of shit yet, but it's definately on par with the worst DSM made. The SOHC cars are more reliable, and only a bit less power - ftw.

My Neon, itself, is in mint shape too. The Check Engine light will actually burn out before I can get to actual run without a code of one sort or another. And now the car doesn't start in the cold, and won't hold idle for about 30 seconds. It's basically running and driving JUST LIKE my 81 Celica with carb troubles. And I bought a house, I can't have this thing in my garage every weekend.

Have you tried another ECU in the Neon? The one I bought from B was running really wacky and then barely running at all. Swapped ECU's, BAM, working car.

I have a spare one, DOHC, but I read that you can use it on the SOHC Neon.

Believe me man, this car takes too much out of me to keep around. Good looking little car, can't pull it together and the house / other projects at the same time. My vega hasn't had a bolt turned on it in 3 weeks.

GL with that. The car handles good until you put it into a turn hard, then it pushes like crazy. Be careful.....

My kid transporter is the '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. it sits 5.5" above factory height and is 4x4. I no longer have to bend or contort to put the kiddos in the car. I sit them down, buckle em up, and hop in. (Great stuff when you're 6'4"). Another great thing is at Wal-mart, the mall, etc. noone else's doors get anywhere near the sheet metal on it, the plastic body cladding sits alot higher now, so I have no worries whatsoever about door dings. Well, I guess a ford F-78650 might be able to ding it.. we'd have to see. Sure it gets shitty gas mileage, but for out of town trips we load up in the 'teggy.

This is night and day when compared to buckling 2 kids into the back of my '92 civic hatchie. That was a freaking nightmare. That, and finding a new door/shopping cart ding every freaking time I went to any store. That pissed me off.

And 4x4. Great for ice driving, camping, minor off roading, towing the boats to their doom..

Great overall vehicle. Cushy, every creature comfort known to man, durable, and $6000.

Yup. 6k.

(edit: more like 7k after tires and lift.. but still..)

Did you notice with your egg that it seems to rev a lil after you let off the gas and push in the clutch?

I hate that the motor is so quiet and there's no tach too. I've stalled this car a bunch of time, I hate revving it up a bit and riding the clutch. I'm getting used to it now though.

The gear box is spaced nice though. Makes it easy for the quick takeoff on the onramp. 1st-30mph, 2nd-60mph and 3rd to 90. I have yet to top the car out. Prolly 120 like the other Toyo's I've driven.

Yes, the gas does rev up when you let up on the clutch pedal. It's supposed to do this.

The fly-by-wire throttle just kinda assumes that you don't know what you're doing and it gasses it when the clutch switch is opened. Like when you start it, it will actually rev it a bit too. I'm sure that with some software (Or maybe it already does) it will be able to rev match during shifts.

The problem is, with the stalling, is that I'm so used to driving a normal setup, that when I move my foot over (And move off the clutch simultaneously) I hear the motor revving, then I let my foot off (At the same time the computer's solenoid is letting It's "foot" off) and I wind up dumping the revs down below the clutch grab stall point.

And it stalls.

So basically there are two systems reducing the throttle - your brain and the ECU.

The golf I had was electronic throttle too, it wasnt like this car. I asked the dealer about it yesterday actually and they said its normal too. I guess we just have to get used to it.

Mine has Lojack, not sure why but it does :lol:

I Was offered lojack, instead I went for all the financing doodads (GAP Protection, etc) . I wanted the TRD suspension, but I had to keep the payments down for my mom. I'll upgrade later.

And I'm going to start looking for a SC unit for either that or the xB.

Greddy makes one. I can get you a deal on either the s/c or turbo, lemme know when and if you're ready to buy.

Back