just got a car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Underage

bought a 1991 standard from this guy in nj. has 213,xxx miles and a blown head. its blue and has an awesome body, just has a little rust in front of the rear wheel well but underneath the car so you can't see it at all. you can stick a finger or so throught the rust hole so its not bad. it has good paint also. i got it for $400 cuz the windshield was cracked and the rear window was busted. interiors a little trashed but easily cleanable.

anyway, its swap time :) , but i'm not in a big hurry cuz i only turn sixteen on monday. i was gonna swap in a si tranny, a6 block, and a y8 head. will this work? cuz i calculated it on the compression calculator and it said the compression was 10.6:1 or 10.7:1. i was gonna run it off of a si ecu and a vtec controller, but i don't know if the compression is too high or if it will get enough fuel. i already know that i have to do a dpfi to mpfi conversion.

i also need help with my shopping list for parts. here's what i got so far

90-91 si tranny(flywheel and clutch too)
88-91 si ecu
88-91 a6 block
y8 head, intake manifold, and vtec solenoid
new radiator(mine's crap)
si or dx front axles(if i find some cheap)
si exhaust(will it fit?, the current exhaust is crappy and somewhat rusted)
vtec controller( if i have money left, cuz i can always add it later)

any other small (or major) things i need?

nobody say b16 cuz i don't have that much money or that i should search cuz i already did and didn't find specific answers pertaining my swap. sorry, no pics tho, cuz i dont have a digital camera. thanks to those that do help.

You also would need, the Si Distributor, resistor box, si injectors, and the dpfi to mpfi conversion harness, or replace your body harness with the si one, which is a lot of work, but worth it imo. I'm not sure if you calculated this stuff in, but its what you need for the rest to work.

Z6 heads are easier to find because they're a little bit older, and there are more dead cars with Z6s in them than Y8s. Some people say that the Z6 head flows better too. It's a marginal difference.

On your list-

Skip the 88 engine block. The 88 engines had a different spline count on the output shaft, so if you mate it to a non-88 transmission, you'll have to hybrid the clutch/flywheel combo. Just get an 89-91. Things will be a bit easier.

Find a 90-91 ECU. The 90-91 are really easy to chip- the fuel maps are contained on a chip that you can remove and replace with an aftermarket setup. The 88-89 aren't so easy. You can't just chip them by removing one ROM on the circuit board. If you're not ever planning to chip the ECU, don't worry about it.

Exhaust- CRX will fit CRX, and hatch will fit hatch. I don't know which one you got. The CRX and the hatch/sedan have different wheelbases, so make sure you get the exhaust that matches.

Your stock fuel system with an Si ECU and a VAFC will be fine to tune the engine.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Apr 8 2004, 06:10 PM
not to mention the MPFI confersion

uh do not worry about the MPFI conversion, it is much easier than everyone makes it out to be. If you need help I have done it, and have some pretty good info on it.

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 8 2004, 11:57 AM

Skip the 88 engine block. The 88 engines had a different spline count on the output shaft, so if you mate it to a non-88 transmission, you'll have to hybrid the clutch/flywheel combo. Just get an 89-91.

the engine block has no splines on "ouput shaft" or anywhere else? - the splines are on the transmission input shaft which fits into the clutch disc and have nothing to do with the block - all 89-91 blocks are the same - 88 transmissions are different

i have a hatch. so does that mean an exhaust from a sedan would work too? would i have to convert brakes if i swap axles? will i need a vafc? does the si ecu run it too lean for the engine/head combination?

just thought of something else? would it be easier to get a obd conversion harness and run the stock y8 ecu? would that eliminate my need for a vafc? if i use the si ecu, will the vafc act as a vtec controller as well as fuel management?

Back