Just got a HB now what?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aas911

Hey everyone,
I'm new here and I just got an 88 civic HB... The car is extremly slow and hardly running now so I deffinantly want to swap the motor.... what do you guys think would be the best engine to put in it? I also don't want to spend a whole load of money (looking like 2Gs max)... Thanks for the advice
Adam

For that amount of money about the best you'll get is a ZC or another D series.

Honestly if i were you and had that budget i would either wait and save up more cash to get a B series, or get a D16z6 or D16y8, or ZC. all of those motors have about 120-135 hp, it is basically a drop in swap, and are relatively cheap. This would leave you with a little cash left over to save towards a better motor down the line.

It basically all depends if you really need to get the car rolling good soon, or if you have time to wait and save cash.

There is almost no way you will be able to do an LS for 2k, unless you do the swap yourself, and cut corners. the motor alone costs about that much, then you need to figure in the mounts, harness, axles, and of course broken parts on the motor, then add in labor if someone does it for you.

Ive got tons of time... I only paid 300 bucks for the car and im not really gonna be doing very much daily driving in it (mostly just weekend driving and taking it to the track)... so is B16 the best bet out of everything and what do those normally cost?.... I'm also planning on eventually adding some sorta power adder (nitrous, turbo, supercharger)

For that amount of money about the best you'll get is a ZC or another D series.

There is almost no way you will be able to do an LS for 2k, unless you do the swap yourself, and cut corners. the motor alone costs about that much, then you need to figure in the mounts, harness, axles, and of course broken parts on the motor, then add in labor if someone does it for you.

not true, 2k total he could have an ls swap easily. if you do the swap yourself then 2k is plenty. i think an ls motor would better suit you for your goals since you plan on nitrous or boost.

motor alone doesnt cost almost 2k, he has an 88 which means he will need a cable tranny which can be had for very cheap, older ls motors are dirt cheap also.

my advice to you aas911 is to call around the local junk yards and ask for a b18a swap or long block, then look around for a cable tranny for a 90-91 integra if you dont get the swap. if you find the right prices i think a grand total for that swap can be had. then your going to need to install it which you should be able to do yourself if you have time.

oh yeah you will need mounts which are around $500 http://www.hasport.com/Products/Mount%20Ki...ount%20EFB2.htm

swap

$1000 for motor,axels,tranny and ecu.
$500 for mounts
$500 for timing belt, water pump,etc.

good luck

as far as his figures go :withstupid: but if i were you i would really look into the b16, just a much better motor and you would be so much more happy, though it does get a a little more tricky but not much and not so much that i dont think you could find your way through it. if no on the B16 then i say Ls and if not LS then i say say ZC, other then that i think a swap is a waste of money and i would save it.

i have an ls swap for sale for 1500, 100k miles, new clutch, resurfaced flywheel, new axles, mounts, ecu, new timing belt and water pump, plugs, wires, etc. i am in indiana. let me know whats up, also have the shift linkage. i am taking it out and boosting a sohc

Thanks bro.... but indiana is kinda far... I'm in so-cali... Anybody know how much a b16 would normally cost? and what is its advantage over LS if there is any? Also what would be the best possible motor to put in it... considering that I would do the install by myself or with a couple friends... any advice would be great...thanks

i got a 92 XSi (SiR II) motor for 1800.

i got the necessary belts, plugs, wires, water pump for 300 (all together)
i also had to buy a cat since my old one is FUCT that was 65 bucks (but you prolly don't need that)

i also dropped some more money into getting a conversion harness (50)
and some other parts... a clutch, cam gears...

but, the 1800 i paid was for a complete change over. if you can spend the extra for the 'little stuff' you'll need, i say go for it.
:)

EDIT: i got the motor from Steve at Hmotors which is in So Cal... drive over and even get to see what the place looks like... motors galore...

if you want more info, you can PM me :)

sorry, i didn't read every post in the thread. but i say b16 for sure. i saw a couple people say LS. but the truth is it's really not all that easy of a swap to pick up. most importers don't sell them and the ones that do sell the swap with a LS tranny which is shit. so you end up tryin' to piece together your shop out of a junkyard or off the web which is really just a pain in the ass. with a b16 you can just get the swap from hmotorsonline and more or less just bolt it in and run a wire or two. that way you have a great motor with a bad ass tranny and a pretty much painless swap. then once you have fun with that for a while, you can go pick up a ls short block out of any junkyard and build yourself a ls/vtec and pick up the extra torque that you're missin' with the b16, but still have the top end of vtec and the b16 tranny. that's my opinion... good luck which ever route you choose.

isnt the b16 swap with cable tranny only like 1250 at hmotors or something like that then just need money for mounts and someone to do the work unless your doing it yourself

Originally posted by red95solsi@Jan 22 2004, 12:45 PM
isnt the b16 swap with cable tranny only like 1250 at hmotors or something like that then just need money for mounts and someone to do the work unless your doing it yourself

yeah, that's 'bout right, and hmotorsonline gives you a deal on the mounts if you buy the engine from them. but then he also has to factor in shipping, and whatever other misc. shit might come up. and also replacing timing belt and pumps if he opts for that. it should take up his whole budget.

i say f*ck a B16. a B18 has more potential. You could boost it easily or do an LS/VTEC down the line. And even if you're not all that into it, just a LS motor in a EF is pretty damn quick. And i don't know where all these people got their motors from but those are some pretty crazy prices. You could easily get a B16 longblock for $600, B20 longblock for $500-$700, B18a/b longblock for $400-$500 and lets say another $400-$500 for a tranny. $1800 for a B16 is way too much, it better be for the whole swap and then some. Just remember, There is no replacement for displacement.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Jan 24 2004, 06:03 PM
i say f*ck a B16. a B18 has more potential. You could boost it easily or do an LS/VTEC down the line. And even if you're not all that into it, just a LS motor in a EF is pretty damn quick. And i don't know where all these people got their motors from but those are some pretty crazy prices. You could easily get a B16 longblock for $600, B20 longblock for $500-$700, B18a/b longblock for $400-$500 and lets say another $400-$500 for a tranny. $1800 for a B16 is way too much, it better be for the whole swap and then some. Just remember, There is no replacement for displacement.

W3rd. The B16 is called the torqueless wonder for a reason. I think an LS motor with a B16 tranny would be killer in that hatch.

Back