Just got a HB now what?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Jan 24 2004, 09:03 PM
i say f*ck a B16. a B18 has more potential. You could boost it easily or do an LS/VTEC down the line. And even if you're not all that into it, just a LS motor in a EF is pretty damn quick. And i don't know where all these people got their motors from but those are some pretty crazy prices. You could easily get a B16 longblock for $600, B20 longblock for $500-$700, B18a/b longblock for $400-$500 and lets say another $400-$500 for a tranny. $1800 for a B16 is way too much, it better be for the whole swap and then some. Just remember, There is no replacement for displacement.

i paid that for a COMPLETE swap... but i did get some extras. there wasn't a better price anywhere... besides... i still don't understand what you're complaining about. you have an XSi as your avatar, and claim a b16 is shit? what's under an XSi hood??

i'm not trying to win races with my motor, and i can just about guarantee that my car will be faster without the old engine in it. my motor is tired. it put barely 135 hp out.

it all depends on what you're looking for. i just want my car to work.

besides... how come the b16 swap is so darn popular??

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel+Jan 24 2004, 07:23 PM-->
@Jan 24 2004, 09:03 PM
i say f*ck a B16. a B18 has more potential. You could boost it easily or do an LS/VTEC down the line. And even if you're not all that into it, just a LS motor in a EF is pretty damn quick. And i don't know where all these people got their motors from but those are some pretty crazy prices. You could easily get a B16 longblock for $600, B20 longblock for $500-$700, B18a/b longblock for $400-$500 and lets say another $400-$500 for a tranny. $1800 for a B16 is way too much, it better be for the whole swap and then some. Just remember, There is no replacement for displacement.

i paid that for a COMPLETE swap... but i did get some extras. there wasn't a better price anywhere... besides... i still don't understand what you're complaining about. you have an XSi as your avatar, and claim a b16 is shit? what's under an XSi hood??

i'm not trying to win races with my motor, and i can just about guarantee that my car will be faster without the old engine in it. my motor is tired. it put barely 135 hp out.

it all depends on what you're looking for. i just want my car to work.

besides... how come the b16 swap is so darn popular??

Because it's cheap. And the B16 is probably only going to lay down around 135-140 to the wheels with bolt ons. And maybe 100 torque. And that's a big maybe. The B16 is okay, but it's really nothing to write home about.

my personal idea is get a ls the b16a is a top end motor and is limited its a1.6 and ls is a 1.8 meaning you can do alot more it all depends on what you want and how much or $ do you plan on spending ths ls from a junk jard will have almost every thing you need the only thing that will be missing will be the shiftliage or you can cut the ls one and i think axles and dependin on the model of your car you may need to make it multi port injection

b16a 1300-1500 swap
ls 1000 swap
mounts about 400 i know there is a guy here that has the mounts a linkage all he wantsis 300 his name is big2please look him up

and the swap is done 2k is ok

yo if I was you personaly I would go ls. it's a good base and you can go anywhere from there(turbo,supercharger,ls/vtec,all motor). I know so many people with a b16 and they hate them and end up swapping them out after a while.

Thank you everyone for your advice and input on what I should do to my car... I'm pretty sure its a base civic hb cause it has drum brakes in back and a 4 speed stick.... one more question though about the engine in there.... the valve cover says 16 valves on it.... wouldn't that make it dual cam? The engine is a D15B1...

Does anyone know if Hmotors would be able to sell an LS/Vtech swap? I'm not even really sure exactly what that is so can u tell me what block and head that is... also how much hp would it put out? :) Sorry for the newbie questions... thanks
Adam

no 16 valves doesnt mean dual cam , it means you have 4 valves per cylinder, D15B1 is single cam.

VTEC not Vtech, Vtech makes telephones

and no they dont sell LS/Vtec swaps, an LS/Vtec is when you take the block from a B18A1 or B18B1 (LS) and mate it to a Vtec head (B16A, B16B, B17A, B18C1, B18C5), it requires a LOT more work than jsut a swap.

Dochh22a4 has a good suggestion, to go with the B18A1 and a B16 tranny (as the gearing on the LS tranny licks scrotum) that would keep cost to a minimum, and give you the wonderful 6 letter word we like to call torque.

Cool thank you for your help... sorry for all the newb questions.... would it be possible to go with a b18a1 with a vtec head and b16 tranny?

If it is about how much would it all cost and about how much hp and tq would it put out?
Thanks again
Adam

Edit: Also... which head would work best with that block?

Originally posted by aas911@Jan 26 2004, 02:05 PM
Cool thank you for your help... sorry for all the newb questions.... would it be possible to go with a b18a1 with a vtec head and b16 tranny?

If it is about how much would it all cost and about how much hp and tq would it put out?
Thanks again
Adam

Edit: Also... which head would work best with that block?

It is absolutely possible. However, you are going to need a good machine shop to do the work for you if you aren't familiar with the head swap. To lay down decent HP, you are also going to want new pistons. All together figure about $1500-2500 for a good LS/VTEC build with B16 tranny. With good pistons (PR3 or ITR) you should put out between 160-170 HP at the wheels and 125-135 torque.

The best head is a subject of controversy. It depends how you want your motor to behave. If you would like a tiny bit more midrange, go with the GSR head. If you want a tiny bit more top end, go with a B16. Also, the GSR head has a slightly smaller combustion chamber and consequently adds approximately .2 to your compression ratio.

dude, it's pretty simple if you want vtec just get the b16 now as a complete swap. your car will be much quicker than it is now and once the motor is in there you will be able to decide if you want more.

the reason i say get the b16 now is that:
1. you're already starting with the most expensive part of a vtec swap (the head)
2. you will also have an excellent tranny (the b16 is the shortest, which is really good for NA)
3. a complete swap is ***MUCH*** cheaper than trying to peice together a motor.
4. it is much easier to figure out bugs when you are just switching one already together motor to another.
5. if you do decide you want more power you can continue to drive you car while you are building another (cheaper) block like the b18a.

cool sounds like a good combo... I guess its time for me to start saving up :p Thank you and if anyone has anymore ideas please post em

Adam

Originally posted by aas911@Jan 19 2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks bro.... but indiana is kinda far... I'm in so-cali... Anybody know how much a b16 would normally cost? and what is its advantage over LS if there is any? Also what would be the best possible motor to put in it... considering that I would do the install by myself or with a couple friends... any advice would be great...thanks

try to find someone that already has a B16 in a car that is the same generation, which means 88-91 hatch's and crx's. it will be a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle on your part. just ask around tell your friend's to tell their friend's that you are looking for a B16. thats how i found my motor. im putting my B16 in my 89 hatch the weekend after super bowl. i plan on writting out instructions on how i did it soon after so if you wanna do a B16 swap just let me know and i'll e-mail you everything i did.

Adam bro...give me a call...i gots what yah need...i got a complete b16 head and my boy john has and ls block, i also got the pr3 ecu that ya'll need and the mount kit for your car...i may also have a tranny (sale is pending) and you know i'll hook it up...so yeah hit me up sometime, im not in the office too much anymore since im taking more classes (basically im doing your old job)...when you want to get this thing rocken we'll make that HB fly and make your buddy wish he didn't sell it to yah!!

Cool thanks bro... I'll give you a call sometime this week... Now that tennis has started everything is all crazy... but im sure I can find some time to get this project started... thanks
Adam

Yeah your right it is a base model if it's a four speed. It is a single cam though. And there is no h in vtec
;)

What you have is a dual point fuel injector engine 1.5 and no it's only single cam, I had the same engine did a ZC swap and saved up the cash and I'm getting a LS/Vtec swap with the SI tranny, the only thing that's been rather hard is the ECU I'm going to run the car with a P28 instead of a P72. If you're not sure go for a ZC and that's a do it yourself swap. And then go all out with the LS/VTEC swap :D , and then we separte the little boys from the big boys. My brother has that LS/VTEC swap in his 96 hatch and :worthy: well need I say more you won't regret it.

Later

DA. Crespo
san Juan, PR

Hey guys.... I made a decision on my car and I am gonna put a complete b16 swap from hmotors... then save up for an b18 block and go from there.... I think buying it all at one time will save me the time and hassle of trying to find all the right parts to go with the ls/vtec combo... thanks for the advice

Adam

Originally posted by aas911@Jan 19 2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks bro.... but indiana is kinda far... I'm in so-cali... Anybody know how much a b16 would normally cost? and what is its advantage over LS if there is any? Also what would be the best possible motor to put in it... considering that I would do the install by myself or with a couple friends... any advice would be great...thanks

www.ardperformance.com

Back