Just got a teg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LVTeg

Hey i just picked up an d a 1990 integra ls for a really good but i want to swap it out because i saved so much money on it and the b18 ls engine isnt exactly an outstanding perfeormer, even though it does have power if you know what i mean :eek:, what engine would you guys recommend? or would a ls/vtec swap be better, im not sure how many miles are on it and i know it was swapped once before so im kinda iffy on keeping the engine even though ive done some basic work on it already to keep it running. Open to suggestions!!

don't do an engine swap just because you have the money sitting around. you need to decide how much power and reliability you want.

how much hp do you want?

what kind of driving are you going to do?

how much money do you have?

i want at least 180hp+ gonna possibly go for an pretty high whp all motor build and possibly continue on to making it a turbo build farther along the line and trying to hit some high numbers(this will be once i get another car because i need this one to be street legal until then). Im mostly just going to be driving around casually maybe drag with friends once in a while and maybe take it to the track once in a while. I dont really want to take it to too many races around town( i live in vegas) though, just because some people here are ruthless enough to follow you home and try to jack your shit. I was going to spend 8k on this beautiful prelude that was nice but the guy was a douche and ended up flaking out on me so i picked up this teg for $1500 and figured id make it my project car, Id like to just put some money into the car and make it nice and save the rest, so im not in any rush to spend it all. Right now the engine I have is not reliable enough for me so i definantly need a new more dependable one. The valvecover gasket was eaving oil, the oil was black when i just recently changed it, smokes comes out of the head after barely any driving when i go to put more oil it. Im thinking an engine upgrade is the right idea for me

if you have $6500 i'll tell you the best thing to do.

1)read the n/a integra buildup in the FAQ section. it will get you some good numbers.

2)save $4000 of it.

3)buy a bare block and get an engine stand. buy parts when you get the money to do a build.

if you build for NA now, you will just replace everything later. don't buy the same parts twice.

I cant find this NA post could you link it plz
I would want to buy a bare block and get the head sepereate, but the only thing is that i need the car to run now and i need the car to be reliable now, not in the future when i finish the engine.

Well that im not sure of, I just changed the oil and filter, and replaced the valve cover gasket where the oil was leaking from, but whenever i test drive it and hit 4th gear the check engine light comes on and when i stop and look, smoke comes out of the the head when i open the oil cap. Also there is a rattling noise whenever the clutch is not engaged, Im not sure this car would be reliable to drive to another state and back and i am going to need to do that.

there isnt an "all motor build now, then boost later". thatd piss you money away in a heart beat. unless you want a light boost, quick spool turbo on some high compression, thats a dumb idea. you could either go all out on one or the other. or u could sit somewhere in between for now by doing an ls/vtec, pnp head, p30 pistons, i/h/ewhich would be pretty close to what i think your wanting to do. and it'd be easy to get your money back on those parts when you get to the point where they need to come off for the turbo build. but if you wanna go boost later on i wouldnt do anything else to the "all motor now" part of your cars journey than what i said above

you need to pull the code when you can. it also sounds like you might need to rebuild the tranny.

i personally like the obd0 b16, then you can turbo it later and it will smash. all for under $4000. but it's your car.

Yeah i was thinking of the obd0 b16 gsr and just upgrading the intake and exhaust and wait for the turbo kit when i have more dough, because i need to pass emissions for now too. I was thinking about the ls/vtec swap, but since its such a risk, i dont want just anyone doing it also ive read that it wont pass emissions sooo i cant be doing that.

yeah i was about to correct myself about that, i mean b16 or gsr

Yup, you can get an OBD0 B16a swap for pretty cheap, wire it in and you have a about 160Hp to play with, couple bolt-ons and your good to go.

Just slap on some P30 Pistons, build the head to handle cams, cam it and tune it.

crower 404 cams make good power but tend to lope.

also 1 more question . what kind of wheels would you guys recommend i get? the wheels i ave right now supposedly are really bad for the bearings so imma just sell them and get new ones

Would an h22 be a good swap into a teg? I have a deal on one for $800 and was wondering if i should take it

Im not sure of the brand, they are 14x8 i know for sure
ill post a pic but thats what i was told

Back