Just got an Electric Car 56k bites

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just so everyone knows my mom did this modifying with some help from me since she didn't like the look.

Well heres a bit of update on modifying the car aesthetically.
The door panels were a checkered gray patter you can see earlier in the thread.

Pulled the panels out.
IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

4 plastic tabs

IMG_0553.jpg

and 1 star screw thing

IMG_0561.jpg

take some spray adhesive

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

Cutout the fabric

IMG_0563.jpg

sprayed it on and pressed it on well, then cutout the door handle

IMG_0565.jpg

uses a small screwdriver to punch holes for the tabs

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Applied a similar method to the shift boot since bolts in the floor wore though it a bit. I covered those and got everything together.
IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Last edited:
hmm. perhaps you could incorporate some sort of scoop for better cooling.

o, and the door panel looks really tacky. Especially with those 4 clips extra visible. :p

As far as the panels go, the black tabs were there to start with, kinda can't work around it since I'm not relying on the just the hook and loop fasteners (aka Velcro).

I was considering forcing air in, I already had a vent and all painted. Then realized how ugly it would be.

I remembered the grille stuff was actually stickers.. So I have to later cut those out and setup something to force air directly into the motor. Kinda like you do with processors. Something I will do later.

Also I got a GFI switch last week and was going to install it, until I found this. I can plug it in, and be lazy.
IMG_0554.jpg

And I'm still waiting on my software to come in the mail to get this thing going faster.

Is 35mph the most you can 1337 h4x out of it, or can it go higher?

it can go faster, but it depends on a lot of things. Flat ground I think it should do maybe 38ish. Consider its a 3.7Kw motor. About 5hp constant peaks maybe 10hp but I have yet to see a graph. Also the settings I am messing with should in theory help acceleration.:D

I'm looking at pushing an extra 12-24 volts into the motor to get an extra oomph and forced cooling if I do that. May be better off getting a bigger motor though. like 10hp+

w00t flashed the car, had it up to 43mph with a hill, and gets up to 35mph+ nicely on flat.

Took a bit of time since I had to install windows on my computer.
IMG_0584.jpg

Nothing was really hard about it however

You cannot use a serial extension cable since it won't recognize the controller though it.
The controller power cable is harder to reach and unplug if you have bigger hands.

IMG_0581.jpg

Power cable for the controller since the ignition will be off.

IMG_0579.jpg

Data cable

IMG_0582.jpg

Heres the power cut for the motor is assume

IMG_0586.jpg

Everything hooked up into the engine bay

IMG_0585.jpg

Software in action

I think a motor swap and another rack of batteries would make it more useful.

I'll be looking into swapping the motor later, but I'm more interested in the controllers capabilities. The batteries will be replaced with whatever Eestor is coming out with later, or if they don't it will be NiZn if I can get a hold of them, or whatever is going to be most cost effective. That's going to be when these batteries start giving out.

Sending extra voltage, or amperage through the motor may be fine to boost the power a bit as long as i can keep it cool, but seeing if the controller can handle it would be another.

i don't see anything wrong maybe the picture didn't load right for you.

Had the car out a few times since the upgrades, and it will still overheat a bit since the 2007 body isn't setup for sufficient motor cooling. So I think I will be

1. Putting a vent in the front bumper
2. Cutting out the sticker covered plastic grille and then routing a section to the motor.
3. Installing an electric fan and force feeding air into the motor housing.

I'm not trying to do too much to the body so it looks normal so the 3rd option or maybe the second option may be my best bet. Even though the 1st is easiest and quickest.

Any other suggestions?

I don't remember the ratio but the setup is a single speed transmission. Forward and reverse is just dictated by reversing the polarity.

It's front engine, front wheel drive The motor is about the size of my head and located underneath the 2 batteries up front along with the transmission.

I'm curious about the transmission. You say it's a one-speed, so it's just a gear-reduction. Could you swap in a gearset with a higher gear ratio for more top speed? You would of course lose low speed power, but I think an electric could handle it, as the torque is instantaneous. Also, a 2 or 3 speed tranny would give you the best of both worlds, but is probably less plausible. Unless there are other models that have multi speed trannys...

True, it really would be called a gear reducer. I'll be looking into the possibility of setting up a transmission in this when the funding for a more powerful AC motor comes up, probably sometime next year.

Either a CVT setup from something like a snowmobile, 2 or 3 speed auto transmission, or even a motorcycle or ATV transmission.

Anyway I look at it I will have to doing some sort of custom axles if I have to swap out the transmission.

Also all these cars have single speed gear reducers

Last edited:
Back