Just got myself a 1991 crx vtec :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xchipx

n/a
Hey all hows things?
Just got myself a EDM b16a1 1991 crx vt
smile.gif
its pretty quick but now ive had it a few months it doesnt feel so fast now im used to it
wink.gif
( and not after a d15 turbo blew me away last night ) Its pretty standard apart from an ebay intake that the prev owner installed. also i just lowered it on konis dampers and eibach springs, will post up some pix somtime if anyones interested ?
Ive looked about a little and finding tuning specific to the b16a1 isnt that common ? Do parts like inlet mani , tb , etc all mate up to the b16a1 ( its obd 0 i think too ) ?
id love to get say 190hp with only head work cams etc , but i guess im being a bit optimistic eh ?
Replies appreciated !

There are plenty of parts out there for the B16. Either you're not really looking or looking in the wrong places. Hell, they make bolt on turbo kits for your particular situation (B16 in a CRX). Post up some pics though, that will always get more traffic and comments in your thread.

seriously.... parts for a b16a? all over the place! you can make good power with a b16, although if you build all motor it will be peaky high rpm power. build the head with some good cams, higher compression, fuel upgrade, maybe ignition upgrade,good tuning... it will be quick

i used to have a obd0 b16a in a DA with just all the bolt on stuff and a chipped ecu and it was a suprisingly quick car..... i never got into the internals but i can tell you the b16 is by its design, a very tough and well balanced motor that can take very high rpms if you build it.

Last edited:
alright guys sorry for my last post , i was just a bit down cause unlike a lot of these threads, that are started by 15 year olds with their daddys computer ,dreaming they may actually have a car one day, and say something like ive got $1500 to spend i want 250hp... you get the idea lol... i wanted to get across the fact that ive got a real car etc lol :)
anyhow , piccies will be up soon - but dont get too excited its far from a show car , exterior is totally standard with a bit of a rust flip :D hehe soon to be sorted. like i say its lowered a little on the koni/eibach setup i have. there are a couple of guys from near me selling tuning bits but mostly only for n/a setups , got blown away by a EG 1.5 turbo the other night , supposed to be 260hp but at a guess id say take 50 off that. So not sure which way to go, not going to go crazy though. Oh and one last thing, do you guys realise how hard it is to get polybushes for the crx vtec over here ? May have to order a full kit from the states :)
Anyway ill stop babbling on ....
regards
mark

Hey all hows things?
Just got myself a EDM b16a1 1991 crx vt
smile.gif
its pretty quick but now ive had it a few months it doesnt feel so fast now im used to it
wink.gif
( and not after a d15 turbo blew me away last night ) Its pretty standard apart from an ebay intake that the prev owner installed. also i just lowered it on konis dampers and eibach springs, will post up some pix somtime if anyones interested ?
Ive looked about a little and finding tuning specific to the b16a1 isnt that common ? Do parts like inlet mani , tb , etc all mate up to the b16a1 ( its obd 0 i think too ) ?
id love to get say 190hp with only head work cams etc , but i guess im being a bit optimistic eh ?
Replies appreciated !

dat motor sucks man u shuld of goten a jdm b16
i got dat on ma 94 civic hatch back eg

a good inexpensive start on the b16 would be some CTR cams w/ ITR springs and retainers.. the b16 cams are the worst ones.. CTRs are the best OEM cams

Oh and one last thing, do you guys realise how hard it is to get polybushes for the crx vtec over here ? May have to order a full kit from the states :) Anyway ill stop babbling on ....
regards
mark

where do you live? :confused:

i used to run the same motor had type r cams and a full length header it was quick... i smoked b18 ls no prob lol and bro theres parts all over the place thts the orignal civic motor like buddy said extrme revs for power so if u boost it the smile will never leave ur face... and no d15 will go around u wtf lol

where do you live? :confused:
sorry, im from the uk :(

quote b16vtc : dat motor sucks man u shuld of goten a jdm b16
i got dat on ma 94 civic hatch back eg

thats the stock engine in my car. i thought theres only around 10hp difference anyway due to using higher ron fuel in japan ?

regarding using oem cams , why go for ctr when i could just use skunk or something?

Last edited:
he could always do a stage 1 cam, ACG, Intake Manifold, TB, Header, Full exhaust, and some minor fuel upgrades and get that b to like 180 tops...thats pretty optimistic too

Got ya. I was always told they were one of the most aggressive, good thing i got those skunk2's.

Hi blanco, going back to the statement about 190whp - you say it wont happen with
just cams and headwork , yeah i didnt expect it to - however im willing to start adding parts such as inlet mani's etc ( in process of buying an lsd box which aint cheap , and just got some konig k5000's too :) so i dont mind spending on her ) , after seeing omni's project from a few years back im now thinking 190whp again ;)
got some piccies, is there a way to directly upload them ? by the way veryone says look in the engine building thread etc - try searching for stuff like " b16 , b16a " etc , it doesnt really brng up many builds :(
a quick, noob (which i guess i am - but i hope im not annoying you guys too much ) sounding question , but someone i know has an itr inlet mani ( what omni used ) for like $80 without iacv or tb , worth it or do i go for something like a skunk 2 ?
regards
mark

Last edited:
ah i thought that about the skunk 2 one but wasnt sure , so there is absolutely no difference between the two ? if the headers going to be over $1000, so be it . hmmmm someone is sellling a 4-2-1 jasma manifold ( finding it hard to find info on the 4-2-1 version ? ) , or should i be looking elsewhere , second hand a bad idea ? obviously i dont mind spending some cash, i understand tuning a b16 na isnt going to come cheap. however the guys on hondacrx uk ( my home forum if you like ) , keep pestering me telling me to buy their b20 builds etc - i want to be different and show their 210 ( flywheel ) b20 builds a run for their money ( or mine ;) )
btw regarding the itr mani, the same guy is selling a skunk2 pro inlet for like quite a bit more than the itr one but its been bored to like 70mm, like ive read from a few posts , bigger isnt always better especially with the b16 ?

aye i kinda worked that out, ok simple question would a standard itr inlet flow enough for 190whp ? or should i go for the skunk 2 70mm, i can also get a spoon tb for peanuts :)
regards
mark
ps : it would be nice if anyone knew the spec of omni's build ? but the only pages that gave links were dead links :( same with the 190whp build by atkeel or something that sounded like that ... )

hi thanks blanco should be ordering soon.
got a couple of piccies of her now too as promised - although dont expect anything great bodywork wise lol .. oh and ignore the ebay intake :)
here ya go
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3134545

hmm just looked at that site , the forum on it seems to be down, also the about us page - stuff like that worries me are they actually still up n running or what ?

Last edited:
Back