1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just opened my first bank account ...

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by 90_EF_Hatch, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 90_EF_Hatch

90_EF_Hatch Señor Member

Well since i got a steady job and what not I got myself a bank account. I signed up for the Bank of America, My Access, free online checking, with a free savings account, and their "keep the change" thingy for free as well. I dont gotta pay nothing for it all :) woot! haha ....

Just curious as to whether or not any one else has/had BoA and what their experiences with them were ...

2. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

never banked w/ BofA .. but i've banked with Wells Fargo and they blow goat nuts.. i have WaMu now and they're not too bad... free checking, saving.. and online banking FTW!!

3. Ant0n3

Ant0n3 93 Coupe

Had them for 2 years ! I had a atm card with them,went over by $10 and they charged me $100 for late fee's (2 days late) and i had an argument with them cuz there suppose to wave the 1st late fee no matter what.they never did,2 weeks later i owed them $500.went to court and had to pay it,,,they suck,and every bank has the same shit except the change thing lol...but good luck,and never go over your limit !!!

4. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

Eek! I really despise the bastards formerly known as Barnett bank around here. They seem to charge a lot for just asking them a question. haha Personally I LOVE my credit union. However, I know people that have Bank of America and seem to somewhat like it. Either way, best of luck with them man. I'm so proud of you. *wipes tear*

5. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

hooray you're finally growing up!

6. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

DO NOT overdraw your account. This is stupid, totally obvious advise, but bank of america charges like $35 a check. DO get overdraft protection! Thousands of dipshits go to jail every day because they didn't get overdraft protection on their account and ended up with "Theft by Check" charges. And "Theft by Check" is a "Crime of moral turpitude" which will ban you from security clearances, ban you from being eligible for president of the united states, etc. Just make sure you have the overdraft protection.

I would suggest a $100.00 "buffer" in your account. Slap $100 in it and forget about it. Always keep a minimum balance of 100 bucks or more. Just to be safe.

7. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

i'd suggest a $500 buffer. i personally keep a $1000 buffer.

i'm really just shocked that you're of driving age and just got your first bank account.... wtf. start saving. you're 18 years behind already

8. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

i dont even have a bank account..never have...really dont give a fuck either..i feel my money is safer,with me,or in my toolbox at home,and its easy to access if i need it

9. Briansol

you're in for a world of suprise when you want to buy a house...
    or even rent a place because you have 0 credit.

start now before its too late.
    even if its $500 bucks.

10. 90_EF_Hatch

90_EF_Hatch Señor Member

yeah, alot of my friends have WaMu. they like it alot.

Lol, i dont plan on going over my limit. Im gonna try and be super responsible. but yeah, i will keep that in mind.

If the overdraft protection thingy costs extra id rather not. I think i can trust myself not to withdraw too much. Plus its just a debit card, i didn't think it would let you overdraw unless it was for gas or something?

lol i might be behind, but oh well. I do plan on starting saving because i know its important. Plus i HAVE to put money in my savings account every month or else i have to pay a fee for it. But i dont think i make enough for a 500 dollar buffer. Ill just stick with the $100 and responsibility.

11. 90_EF_Hatch

90_EF_Hatch Señor Member

haha yeah ... its about that time, and i have to start somewhere. I figured getting a bank account would be a smart move anyways. Also i plan on getting another job at UPS to take up the rest of my free time, than i will really be bankin ;) lol ... well at least a lot for me.

12. Briansol

wamu is about to go bankrupt... lol

13. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

i wanted WaMu but the closest one is fucking jersey. fuck that.

14. Briansol

trust me, you don't want wamu.

[​IMG]

their stock is done. everyone sold. they have no money. they are over.

15. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

How is it safer on your person or sitting in a tool box? How often do you hear about banks losing people's money? When you put your money in a bank it's guaranteed by law that it will be there when you want it, plus, it earns interest. Most banks will even give you interest on checking these days. Yeah, it's not much, but it's free money, why would you refuse it?

Plus, if you open a bank account you'll get a debit card, which you can use at 99.9% of anywhere you go these days, so rather then carrying a giant wad of money everywhere you go, you just pull out your debit card, slide it through the machine, enter your PIN, and done, no change to mess with.

And yeah, good luck trying to get a loan for a car and/or house in the future. It's difficult for people with little or no credit to get loans, so for someone who has no banking history at all it's going to be pretty damn impossible...

16. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

i dunno..maybe i have a differant outlook on things..if i cant buy it with cash,then i obviously cant afford it...
    im not to picky about things.i dont really want to own my own house,because i see where its gotten most people i know..and i will NEVER EVER own a new car..unless its paid for before i take it off the lot
    i know the bullshit people go through with making payments,and all that dumbshit..so cash or nogo

17. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

Whoa! Wait! What?!?!?!? You're getting a job at UPS? No shit. Which one?

18. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

Still though, it's the convenience of it. Why not just have a debit card rather then have to carry around a giant wad of cash everywhere? That seems safer to me then carrying all your money on you or stuffing it in a toolbox or dresser drawer or something. Plus, like I said, open up an account, throw some money in there and let it sit, and you'll get interest. Who doesn't want free money? Plus you could also throw some into an IRA or some other type of investment account and get bigger returns.

Just makes sense to me, even if you're not interested in building credit... :shrug:

19. dveit

dveit Well-Known Member VIP

Congrats to the OP but be careful !

20. Briansol

are you serious?

if owning a house has 'ruined' people you know, the people you know are morons, made bad choices, or over-extended themselves on shit they couldn't afford in the first place.

buying a home is the BEST thing you can do. it WILL make money. maybe not this year, maybe not next... but long term, it WILL go up if you maintain it.

Mortgage interest tax write off is HUGE. I wrote off nearly $20,000 last year JUST in mortgage interest. If i had the same thing in a rent, i wouldn't get that write off at all, and I would've had to pay even MORE taxes.

Don't judge your life off screw ups. Judge what you want to do by looking at trump and warren buffet.

i don't have a debit card either. it's annoying trying to balance shit and make entries everytime you use it. I just use my credit card for everything, and at the end of the month, i make 1 payment and add 1 line to my checkbook.

If you put 100 bucks a month into a rothIRA at age 20 for the next 40 years, you will have 1.2 million dollars at retirement, given the standard 10% gain the market averages.

If you put it in your toolbox, you'll have 48,000.

your choice.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted