just starting out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LOS222

Over the next year and a half I plan on having a turbo done to my h22 on my 96 accord. Auto to manual w/LSD is going to be done this summer. My questions are:

1. Should I build the internals first? Cams,pistons,etc.
2. If I put, say, crower cams made for a turbo on first, would it drive funny?
3. What kit do you guys suggest for a streetable but nice and powerful turbo?

I want this turbo to be fun to drive, say around 350 horsepower

a custom kit is always going to be better than a "pre-built" kit. Custom allows you to use the peices you want.

I would build the internals first just because it will be the most effective when you get to boost.

350 hp is very doable if you build the block up a little.

I think there are some people around with 300+ HP with stock internals. I wouldn't reccomend doing that though.

hmm, you may be able to push 350 from a stock H22...
OBD1 is closed deck, and OBD2 is open deck...
go with closed deck...
and 350 is still A LOT...
you will prob want to build the block for turbo... :ie low compression, it will last longer than squeezing 350 from a stock block...

low compression without boost = lower power...

and i agree with the above... take your time, research, and "make" your own kit, you will save money and have a better product, and thus better results in the future...
turbo horsepower all comes down to tuning...
and an external wastegate can give you a 40HP increase over an internal wastegate... (according to one study anyway)

edit: and if you turbo a motor you will always have problems later on, it could be 6 month or 5 years
lol

if you want to do it right and reliably, you're going to want to get the block sleeved.

MOST (not all) h22's have an FRM coated sleeved, thus making the use of forged pistons not usable. the rings end up metling to the coating.

so, sleeved block, 1000
pistons/rods 800

good turbo setup - 3000-ish

fuel management/control/tuning- 500-1500 ish

then, all your auto-manual crap, exhaust, blah blah blah... you're looking at a lot of cash. are you sure you want to do it? not trying to talk you out of it... but sometimes i wish someone talked me out of it (successfully) before i blew 20 grand and parted it out for 7.

Back