just wondering about different vtec ecus

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok i was wondering if it is possible to have a p08 or a p07 to be chipped to run a DOHC engine? what are the pros and cons to doing this?

P08 yes

P07, if and only IF you get the right board (there are 3 types of P07)

Pro - Cheap
Con - no knock sensor, P08 uses SOP gate (hard to solder properly), P07 hard to find the right board

boardidentification.jpg

most commonly referred to by the last four characters after the dash. most common for the obd1 civic ecu's are 11f0 and 1720 board types.

man you seem to be the ecu king man thanks for the info by any chance do you have a p08 or the p07 that i would need? :D

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Jan 14 2005, 02:45 PM
man you seem to be the ecu king man thanks for the info by any chance do you have a p08 or the p07 that i would need? :D
[post=445683]Quoted post[/post]​

why do you want a p07 or p08 in particular? p07's are shit, and p08's are the jdm equivalent of a p28.

damn, i am extremely jealous of those individuals with vast ecu knowledge...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jan 14 2005, 03:41 PM
damn, i am extremely jealous of those individuals with vast ecu knowledge...
[post=445731]Quoted post[/post]​

then learn yourself ;)

It's really not that hard to learn about ecu's.

However, soldering is an ART form. Not something that comes overnight. Good soldering technique is tought or learned from experience.

I'm just curious, why would you want either a p07 or p08 when you can get P28's for cheap now-a-days?

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Jan 14 2005, 07:38 PM
However, soldering is an ART form. Not something that comes overnight. Good soldering technique is tought or learned from experience.
[post=445838]Quoted post[/post]​

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Thanks very much for posting that. It seems like suddenly in the last few weeks, everyone wants to try their hand at converting and socketing ECU's.... I've watched nfn do it and I've even tried some circuit board soldering, so I can see that it makes a HUGE difference in the outcome and longterm health of the ECU to have a skilled person working on it.

I am so greatly saddened at the thought of so many unskilled people hacking up virgin ECU's. :(

I'm just curious, why would you want either a p07 or p08 when you can get P28's for cheap now-a-days?

well here is the thing i have a chipped p28 already but it doesn't work right, i have a cel and when i jump the connector to get the codes it is a solid cel, i was looking at it and i realized that it was an auto ecu but it was converted with a paper clip to a manual tranny so i didn't know if that was the cause of it, now the problem that i am having is with the obd2 ecu i have a bunch of codes but when i hooked up my boys p07 it had no codes and it was running smoothly. i know that it doesn't have the fuel mapping that i need for the dohc but it works so i was just going to chip that to run dohc. and to answer your question the p07s are really cheap and the cost of p28s are from 150 and up now a days, if anyone is really good at fixin ecus let me know. or if there is a place that can fix that ecu that i have, i want to sell if so i can get a virgin ecu and take it to hondata to chip it for me(i know everyone says to use uberdata but i have no where to burn the roms) so that is why i am leaning on getting a p07

civiclxb16 - I fix ecu's all the time, but I'm out in cali. I see P28's for around $100-$130 virgin. Add about $50 for being socketed, maybe a few more for hondata/uberdata ready.

94redsigal - Let them fuck up ecu's.... keeps me in business!! And you're right, it does make a difference having someone experienced do the work.

I currently have 2 working P28's, 1 P72, and about 10 converted/repaired P28's.

In the BAD pile, I got a OBD0 pr3, OBD1 p08, about a half dozen P28's, couple of P0A's, and god only knows what all the other donor ecu's are, I think most are P05/06 that I robbed parts from.

They'll probably be gone in a week or 2, but that's what's sitting on my bench right now.

:lol:

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Jan 14 2005, 10:46 PM
well here is the thing i have a chipped p28 already but it doesn't work right, i have a cel and when i jump the connector to get the codes it is a solid cel, i was looking at it and i realized that it was an auto ecu but it was converted with a paper clip to a manual tranny so i didn't know if that was the cause of it, now the problem that i am having is with the obd2 ecu i have a bunch of codes but when i hooked up my boys p07 it had no codes and it was running smoothly. i know that it doesn't have the fuel mapping that i need for the dohc but it works so i was just going to chip that to run dohc. and to answer your question the p07s are really cheap and the cost of p28s are from 150 and up now a days, if anyone is really good at fixin ecus let me know. or if there is a place that can fix that ecu that i have, i want to sell if so i can get a virgin ecu and take it to hondata to chip it for me(i know everyone says to use uberdata but i have no where to burn the roms) so that is why i am leaning on getting a p07
[post=445886]Quoted post[/post]​

take the chip out of the ecu and cut the little jumper located at 'j1' right above where the chip is located. this will disable the external rom and let the ecu run like stock again, if the cel goes away, you know there's either a problem in the chipping or in the chip. if this is the case, the ecu is still very salvageable and more than likely just needs to be desoldered, cleaned up, and solder in some new components. a lot of beginners have a problem frying the 74hc chip due to lack of soldering experience and holding heat on it too long. and if you're looking for cheap p28's, i sell them for 120 shipped, already chipped and and with the 4 pin header installed at cn2 just like hondata ;) the p07 comes out of the obd1 vx's and is eqipped to see a 6 wire wideband o2 that honda decided to use in the vx's, so unless you actually diable the o2 sensor via whatever rom editor you're using, the p07 will not work properly with your common 4 wire o2 sensor, and from past experience and what i've heard from others, p07's are very iffy as to what code you can run in them, and usually experience problems. you're better off fixing your ecu, getting a different p28, or getting a p05 or p06 that has been converted to a p28.

Back