K. Watanabe.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok well as most of you know, blew my y8, needed transportation so badly and so quickly that the fastest way was to take it to K. Watanabe in So. Cali to let them do it....

They came and picked it up on Sat....when i came by on Mon to talk to the mechanic, they hadnt even started working on it...

I was going to give them untill this monday to finish,

but to my surprise they just called me back 10 mins. ago saying the car is ready to be picked up....

im withholding ANY good comments about K. Watanabe untill about a week or two from now, so mods dont close this thread...

i want to see how my shit runs, and take it up to vegas as well.

BUT, so far....im giving K. Watanabe engine install crew a 1/4 thumbs up.

lets hope they dont fuck me over...... :angry:

so youre saying it got done between Tues and today? that shouldnt be too surprising. these guys on tv swapped a supercharged B16 into a crx in 2 hours. also a shop swapped a D-series for a B16 (in an EG hatch) in front of the crowd at a sema show a couple years ago and it only took them 90 minutes. that included removal of the D-series.

theyre pros. they can probably do it in their sleep. one team was Pan Auto in San Diego. they swapped the civic engine in 90 minutes....and they werent even trying to be fast! it was just a demo for the show. you can read about it at importtuner.com

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Oct 23 2003, 01:20 PM
also a shop swapped a D-series for a B16 (in an EG hatch) in front of the crowd at a sema show a couple years ago and it only took them 90 minutes.

I've watched Intercrew do that before... in a CRX too. :thumbsup:

they may be fast and all, but do they pay attention to detail as far as making sure is gonna fit properly and that all wiring and other necessary shit is hooked up correctly?

ok well, just got back from K. Watanabe....

car starts up normal. altho, the idle problem is still there. when its cold, it stays around 1200 then when it gets warmed up, and sitting in traffic, it drops all the way down to about 500 or so. It jumps quite a bit, but there is never a time when i feel as if it is going to stall.

only problem now, is that my air conditioning doesnt work.....
:angry: :angry: :angry:

gotta figure out why...

and they want me to take the car back in after 500 miles so they can charge me 45.00 more dollars to tighten down the head studs and oil change and something else...they say if i dont do it, it voids the warranty on the engine 12mo/12,000 mi.

and another thing.....this isnt their fault...

but im totally expecting to hear my blow off vavle go off when i let off the gas....

sadly to say, i dont hear it anymore :( :(

its so weird driving a non-boosted civic....

just doesnt feel right.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Oct 23 2003, 01:31 PM
i know, but i heard some negative shit about K. Watanabe in the past....

i meant that the guys on tv and at the show could prolly do it in their sleep. ;)

oh ok...i didnt read the rest of the thread. well glad its runnning again at least :thumbsup:. the $45 thing blows but i guess it sounds like something thats needed. maybe the idle speed will stabilize once the ECU gets a chance to learn its new settings/mixtures.

Originally posted by khrisb@Oct 23 2003, 06:02 PM
Did you ever figure out what their "JDM Y8" was? Just curious as to what that is.

asked him again today....

he still is sticking to his story that in Japan, there ARE y8's.

same bore/stroke blah blah blah...

he also claims that each motor averages out to 30,000 mi....that they swap in

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Oct 23 2003, 06:22 PM-->
@Oct 23 2003, 06:02 PM
Did you ever figure out what their "JDM Y8" was? Just curious as to what that is.

asked him again today....

he still is sticking to his story that in Japan, there ARE y8's.

same bore/stroke blah blah blah...

he also claims that each motor averages out to 30,000 mi....that they swap in

I smell :bs:

Japan has everything from 1200 CC engines up to b16a's in 92-00 Civic's. I can feasibly see a y8 being in use over there. You have NO idea how many variations of Civic's there are around the world... I think Euroland gets 900cc engines in them! :shocked:

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Oct 23 2003, 01:28 PM
theyre pros. they can probably do it in their sleep. one team was Pan Auto in San Diego. they swapped the civic engine in 90 minutes....and they werent even trying to be fast! it was just a demo for the show. you can read about it at importtuner.com

That is a fuckin bad ass shop. And the guys have some nice cars too. They got a nice ass turboes B16 in there sitting on a stand with Mugen valve cover and all the parts are the best of the best, Nice! I was considering asking them a price to order me a GSR and swap it.

so Tony...what engine did you end up putting in there? D16Y7/8 or B18B?

sorry, i've been out of the loop a bit. i've been hella busy working and all sorts of other shit.

latez.

Originally posted by rsaeini@Oct 26 2003, 11:09 PM

sorry, i've been out of the loop a bit.

there is this new invention called the cell phone....... :lol:
i know that u are working @ _ _____ they still are using tin cans and string :lol:

jk

i had to get it running asap, and Watanabe wouldnt do a "b" series swap, so i just had them throw in the normal y8. the car runs ALOT stronger now than it did when i bought it used @ 80k miles....

altho they want me to come back after 500 miles to pay 45.00 to retighten the headstuds......if i dont it voids the warranty....

Back