k20 swap into 03 civic coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ClutchShiftGun

Cargasm Donor
i dont know if a lot of people ask this question but i need a definite answer from someone who has an idea.

im thinking of dropping a k20a into my 03 civic coupe. aside from the fact that i live in california and cant smog it (legally at least), is there any other negative consequences? and how hard is it to drop it into my model civic. will it bolt on or am i gonna need some custom fabrication?

any other info that you think can be useful would be very much appreciated....

thanks in advance

It can be smogged in california if you get a usdm engine from a year newer or equivalent to your car. Also, it is not at all a bolt in swap, aftermarket mounts and axels are required and very expensive. You should buy an ep3 and put in a k20S, it would be much cheaper than what you are considering.

yeah a k20s is much cheaper but also a few horses less. ive weighed the pros n cons between the r and the s and even tho the r is more expensive id much rather go with that. theres a place online that sells the k20a with everything included, axles and everything....im just wondering on a scale from 1-10 how difficult/complicated it would be to drop the type r engine into my civic

If you have to ask. On the scale it would be 11. I DO NOT recommend it for the novice at all. It requires alot of funds, time, knowledge, research, research, experience, and at the last moment more funds. To top it off its a gem to Honda Thieves.

Last edited:
wow bro, that complicated huh? thats too damn bad cuz i really wanted the privilege of sayin i have a k20a under the hood, oh well the type s will have to do

Well I mean the process can be simplified because many sites are starting to offer kits for just about everything on certian year model vehicles. I spent roughly 12 grand getting my k20 type r in my ek, tuning included. Truthfully if your going to go head and do a k20a2/k20a3 swap I wouldnt waste my time. I would go ahead with the K20 R.

Do you have any experience swapping any Honda motors, if so what series?

Last edited:
if youre lookin to save atleast 1k, go with the k20a2. with bolt ons and relfash, an extra 10whp (mostly in the 6500+rpm range) doesnt seem worth it... atleast not to me. Yeah youll have more top end, but for around town you're never going to use it. Unless you floor it to redline in each gear.. then you might, but im sure you dont.

what is the purpose of this car? Street car? Drag race (not just once or twice, but regularly)? what?

oh, and i think you misinterpreted rawerz's comments... because a k20a is just as much as a bitch as a k20a2 or a k24.. Speaking of which, you should look into a tsx k24 swap.... it'll be cheaper than both swaps, make more tq and youll haev more displacement as well. Plus about the in town usage, youll probably be happier with the k24 because of the tq it makes. k24 is the only k swap id, personally, do. Something about tq and mid range power makes me happier than a killer top end.

Last edited:
i have zero experience swapping motors...but i wont be doing it myself. either way, thanks for so much feedback. its truly helpful. im still pretty undecided as to which route to take though....

oh and to answer your question, this would probably be a town car. i like racing on freeways and streets, no drag strip...im looking to dish the "shock and awe" effect on any car that steps up... what do you guys think? that is my number one priority

k24 with the 6 speed tsx trans, i/h/e, intake gasket, kpro, sticky tires, little weight savings, youll be runnin low 13's in no time.

wow that sounds pretty nice actually...this k24, how easy is it to find and install performance parts? im talking turbo, and cams...maybe other stuff too

hey im a bit confused, ive been doing a lil homework on the k24....

are we talking about a tsx motor or a cr-v motor it appears to be that they both have the same engine code?

Back