K20 Type-R or B18c5 Type-R???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What's an LS? I have an 89' EF Hatchback. Also, yes, I want to turbo it. So go with what like a 96' or up jdm?

i wouldt put that much money into an ef its simply to old. secondly niether motor is really suitable for a turbo unless its built with forged lower compression internals or ran an a low boost level. thirdly if you dont know what an ls is then why are you even thinking of dumping that much money right now. i think you shuold spend some time reading up on a few of the basics before you by top notch stuff and not know what to do with it.

i wouldt put that much money into an ef its simply to old. secondly niether motor is really suitable for a turbo unless its built with forged lower compression internals or ran an a low boost level. thirdly if you dont know what an ls is then why are you even thinking of dumping that much money right now. i think you shuold spend some time reading up on a few of the basics before you by top notch stuff and not know what to do with it.
wouldnt put that much money because it too old huh?
i really dont think you are too smart!half the people on this site own EF's

wouldnt put that much money because it too old huh?
i really dont think you are too smart!half the people on this site own EF's
werd

neither motor is really good for boost unless forged right? hmmm it looks like you sir need to go back and do some more reading. Its not about the old or new. we do it because its the cost effective way to go fast and goes back to the power to weight ratio. even muscle car guys now that rule.
stock K boosted ftmfw. keep your mouth shut if you dont now what your talking about.
YouTube - stock k20 turbo blows up

bluemk3: and you drive 2 old ass cars WITH turbo's..... i wouldnt be giving that advice when you drive and old ass '87 car. stock K and B is much more powerful than both motors you have in your cars. comparing them n/a to n/a and the amount of power they could withstand.

damn what the hell is up with me and defending the K's so much? i must be closer to getting one....

if your point was to prove you could boost an engine without forging it... why did you post a boosted stock k-series engine throwing a rod : /

Still would been cooler if it held togather. :shrug2:

Lol.

a car is never to old...classics are just a bit more of a challenge.
EF= classic:D

secondly niether motor is really suitable for a turbo unless its built with forged lower compression internals or ran an a low boost level.

correct me if i'm wrong but didnt a stock high compression K(11:1?) just lay down mad WHP on OMFG boost?

thats what i was trying to prove.

k20 would be more powerful.
newer is usually better..

newer is more expensive.

i got a guy around here with a built/sleeved/gt4094 k20a2 pushing 532whp which is a SHIT load for the street. if you want to spend alot of money go with k20. if you are on a budget you should go with a b18 (LS motor). they are fairly cheap and the stock compression is 9.2:1. so you can boost that motor pretty easy. then when you want to get more power start building the aspects of the motor. later on get a b16 head to throw on there and you have the notorious ls/vtec setup.

suspension note
i have a set of D2 coilovers on my civic. i love them and they are fairly reasonable cost.

if you could not hit 11 secs. with an N/A B i dont think you ad any clue what you wee doing,thats just my opinion though,onstly the K is overrated,and not woth it(in my eyes)

I def may not know the most out there, but I have been in the game for 15+ years. So I do have a little knowledge. To each his own though! I personally have nothing against B series. I just prefer K now! Like I sad I have done several apps of the B and was never happy! Now this is only my 2nd K build and I'm already happy!

This is my K-swap project (not fully complete)
YouTube - stock k20 eg civic 1/4 mile

coming from the person whose ride is an 87 supra???

You, the guy that drives an 87 Supra, would recommend against building an 88-91 Civic because they're too old? Uh...ok. Aside from that bit of irony, what the hell's wrong with building an EF? They're small, lightweight, cheap, and easy to work with. Sounds like a perfect swap candidate to me. And if you think that it's impossible to boost on a K20 or B18C5 then it's probably because you're used to tuning with hacks. You can boost a decent amount on either of those engines, you just need a good tune.

As others here have already requested, please, if you don't know what you're talking about then just don't talk...

ok well I have found a couple places that have K20A's for a reasonable price BUT, my friend wants to sell me his B18C5 for a great price. He bought it from a guy who built it(I didnt know you could build new) for 2500. Right now it has almost 1000 miles. It also has a skunk2 mani and some other goodies. I have to get some new axles because he wants them to put his GSR back in. He said he took out the oil jet but he is putting it back in. I would buy it right now but Im broke haha I go back to work from the holidays next week at the plants. I should have the cash for the engine and axles by early to mid Feb.

Ok so if I get a nice turbo( any suggestions?), intercooler, tune, etc., how much HP/Boost should I have with the B or the K. I dont wanna throw one on the K and have like 400hp and have the B and only get like 300.

So many people love my car. I love my car, shit. Ef's are just really chill. Gas is no problem. It's just an all around fun car. Right now it's bright orange with a primer black hood, not too ugly hahaha but it does have the most horrible Euro style tail lights and a raspy noisy exhaust. I wish Greddy made that new quiet exhaust for my car. When I get done with it, it will have, blacked out taillights, black paint, candy red powdercoated Rota J Mags, HID's, the swap, complete suspension package, and custom interior. oh yeah haha and some better subs

thanks guys. keep it coming

Back