K20a Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

black_hatchback

what are the diferences in the k20a3 (civic si) and the k20a (civic type R) engines?
What can I do 2 make my si a type R

i am really curious about this question, someone asked me this question the other night and i could not answer it, so i would love to hear the answer....

You can't make your Si a Type R. You can make it LOOK like a Type R, and have a Type R engine in it, but if it didn't come off the factory line as a Type R, then it never will be.

i ment what internals would i have 2 change. like port and polish the head, higher compression pistons, or something like that.

Thanks

basically internal-wise the difference lies in the head, the k20a2 has a 3-rocker-arm whereas the k20a3 and base rsx have only two-rocker-arms. I dont suggest prepping the engine with type s internals, if u have the money go for a k20 engine and have it installed by honda. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Phanatic_Racing@Apr 14 2003, 09:22 PM
basically internal-wise the difference lies in the head, the k20a2 has a 3-rocker-arm whereas the k20a3 and base rsx have only two-rocker-arms. I dont suggest prepping the engine with type s internals, if u have the money go for a k20 engine and have it installed by honda. :rolleyes:

:werd:

also check hondata for more info on k-series.

you can have a home-made type R. you can swap a A2 head on a A3 block and swap out the internals but i don't know how much gain you will get from it and i don't know what the after affects will be. a few people have done it already. check out ephatch.com for more info.

Originally posted by black_hatchback@Apr 14 2003, 03:05 PM
what are the diferences in the k20a3 (civic si) and the k20a (civic type R) engines?
What can I do 2 make my si a type R

the Civic SI is the same as the base model RSX except that the Si has an aluminum intake. The type S has a different head (different type of V-tec) The compression is different. The stroke is the same except the cranks are different.

Originally posted by Phanatic_Racing@Apr 14 2003, 09:22 PM

how much will it cost to have honda do it for u?

Originally posted by iamane12d+May 3 2003, 03:16 AM-->
Phanatic_Racing
@Apr 14 2003, 09:22 PM

sorry, but as far as i know... honda dosen't swap engines for you :ph34r: . that guy is pullin' your dick.

Originally posted by kylemarhx+May 3 2003, 03:28 AM-->
Originally posted by iamane12d@May 3 2003, 03:16 AM
Phanatic_Racing
@Apr 14 2003, 09:22 PM

sorry, but as far as i know... honda dosen't swap engines for you :ph34r: . that guy is pullin' your dick.

Some dealerships do. Come to Houston- there are a few that will mod engines and swap them too.

Have a complete Si to type R conversion available. See for sale section. Includes complete head (incl manifolds) and complete K20 type R (RSX-S) internals. Less than 2000miles. Like new and bolt in. You even retain your original engine number.

I'm not sure about all of this, but imo, you should just wait and dont get the Si.. and if you did, too bad... theres news the civic type-r is coming over so start saving.. im guessing itll be not much more than the Si. $3000 more tops.. but i wouldnt know since im a car salesman or nething like that...anyway just my stupid ass opinion

I don't think Honda will bring the Type-R over here. That $3,000 extra will buy me a supercharger and that will walk the Type-R.

Back