K20A2 swap into EP3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mooky_Stank

Hatchback Lover
am looking into buying a k20a2 rebuilt longblock from a remanufacturer, and using my k20a3 transmission (I know that I will drop out of Vtec). I have done research on this site and many others, and thanks to help from threads by members such as WhiteOnRice, I understand a good portion of what I must do.

This is what I have:

2004 K20a3 complete engine and transmission
Apexi Axelback exhaust
HPR Headers
Injen Short Ram Intake

This is what I understand so far:
I will need a Type-S ECU and wiring Harness (I read that you can use the EP3 harness with modifications but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth)

I replace the a2 powersteering with the EP3 Idler pulley, and will need a 64" 7 rib belt, or just use the EP3 at the edge of spec.

My questions are:

Can I use the same ACT Flywheel that I had on the K20a3 on the a2?

Can I use the Intake Manifold, Coil Pack, Distributor, Exhaust Manifold, Exhaust system that I have on it, Alternator, and any other parts from the a3 that will not come with a a2 longblock?

Whenever I switch from 270cc injectors to 310cc, will I be able to retain the a3 fuel rail, and will it function correctly with the new injectors.

I appreciate any help that can be offered, and I hope that this will assist anyone else looking to do this swap into an EP3. Please understand that I did a lot of research before this and simply did not come up with enough information to drop several thousand dollars into this. So please do not post things like "Just search around man the info is out there" cause I have.

Thank You

I agree about the ECU and engine harness.

Flywheel is fine.

I wouldn't use the A3 IM. Get the PRB (K20A2) IM or (better yet) a RBC IM (K20Z3).
The RBC is $199 shipped BNIB from Autofair Honda.

Not sure about the fuel rail. Might be okay but I don't wanna tell you misinformation.

If you are getting a longblock...IM, fuel rail and injectors "should" be a part of it all.

Also....the harness may be fine. I think there's a different knock sensor....maybe cam sensor. Usually the big worry is the reverse lockout for 6-speed but you're not going that route.

And the K20A2 has a slightly bigger TB (at least I'm pretty sure it is bigger). If I'm right.....the A3 TB will rob a little power.

Back