K24/K20 hybrid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

has anyone seen the k24 block with a k20 head? I was at a friends shop and they have plans to test it out cause they heard it from somewhere. They also said it was good for like 240whp NA. anyone have a clue on this.

Accord 2.4L block w/ RSX 2.0 Head= New LS/VTEC-esque engine?

what were the results? cant find it.

I heard JR did the same ang SC it and got 320whp w/o any other power adders including fuel system.

Originally posted by SolPWR@Jan 12 2004, 04:42 PM
has anyone seen the k24 block with a k20 head? I was at a friends shop and they have plans to test it out cause they heard it from somewhere. They also said it was good for like 240whp NA. anyone have a clue on this.

Accord 2.4L block w/ RSX 2.0 Head= New LS/VTEC-esque engine?

yeah it's true 240whp all motor.

the 2.4L block comes from the new CRV's though + the K20 head from an RSX-S.
I know of a guy in my area whose planning on doing that, no word yet though on if its finished or not.

sounds like a nice setup but i dont like it...i guess im like an old man stuck on the things iv been doing for years...i like b and h series....i odnt know why but im just that way....maybe ill warm up to them one day

Originally posted by SolPWR@Jan 12 2004, 04:07 PM
what were the results? cant find it.

I heard JR did the same ang SC it and got 320whp w/o any other power adders including fuel system.

It was a HASport/Jackson racing effort, and it was a K20A type R head and a CRV bottom end, I saw the thing a week after it was done, I will post the pics I have of it later on when I get home. it pulled 300HP, on the dyno run but, Brian from HASport said it pulled 310 2 days prior on a dyno jet, and I have heard now that the car pulls 320. So who knows. Overall the new frankensteins will rip and once people start making more stuff for the K series we will see some real power. Also have you seen what prototyperacing has done with the K20 type R motor in an Elise it is pulling something like 250hp, on a 2.0l. :worthy: K series
http://www.prototyperacing.com/dynok20b.htm

Originally posted by mwvnos@Jan 12 2004, 05:46 PM
....maybe ill warm up to them one day

one day you're gonna have to. I would imagine that in the next couple years K-series will be what everyone wants (once the price goes down, and it better) and probably make the b series go extinct. which of course sucks cause I love b-series but I'm always up to learn new things including K-series.

:werd:

Intercrew's working on a K24/K20 hybrid right now. Everyone's going to have to adapt. The K block is the new beast to tame, and it has a TON of potential. It's one hell of an engine!

what chassis can these engines fit in? wont fit in a sol and if it did it would be to heavy! <_<

i say screw the new k series b series for life for me i mean its not like the power diff is gonna be that much i mean they are still working out all the shit for the bseries. its not over for it yet i dont think be series will ever go away imo it can only get better, as k series gets cheaper then b series will get even cheaper i mean has anyone successfully gotten a bored and stroked b series to work i mean you can make them 2.7 liters

Originally posted by SolPWR@Jan 12 2004, 08:48 PM
what chassis can these engines fit in? wont fit in a sol and if it did it would be to heavy! <_<

I could be wrong but I think the K20 is lighter.....also I'd look thru my old issues of SCC but they're all stored in a box up in my closet, check their website.

markiebredsol: Screw K series? Are you serious? Have you seen the numbers people are already putting up with these things? I think the K has a lot more potential that just hasnt been tapped into yet.... and I havent heard of a B stroked to 2.7, but thats just me.

The k20 is lighter than the b18c by 22 lbs. The engine and transmission are 2 inches shorter than than the engine and tranny of the b18c. This is because of the more compact timing chain, and a chain drivien oil pump in the oil pan. I got this info for july 2001 issue of SC.

what about the 2.4 with the 2.0 head how big is that? thats what I was talking about

oh sorry, I don't know any of the specs for the k24. I do think that it is a little bigger and heavier though.

If i had the money and the chance hell yea i would put a 2.4l i-vtec motor in my shit! all motor city baby!...the only problem is...funding <_<

Originally posted by markiebredsol@Jan 13 2004, 07:44 PM
i say screw the new k series b series for life for me i mean its not like the power diff is gonna be that much i mean they are still working out all the shit for the bseries. its not over for it yet i dont think be series will ever go away imo it can only get better, as k series gets cheaper then b series will get even cheaper i mean has anyone successfully gotten a bored and stroked b series to work i mean you can make them 2.7 liters

Eh?

The best streetable all motor B series engines are only putting down 240-250whp at the MOST, and that's with some pretty trick mods and really good tuning, not to mention a good amount of luck. People are pulling 240whp+ out of the K20 blocks without even changing the compression or porting the head... and there's not much of a power difference?

Whatever.

K > B

I have NEVER seen a 2.7L B series block. Even if you ran with an 87mm bore- which would mean literally paper thin sleeve walls- you would have to use a stroke that's 113.6mm long. That's almost two centimeters longer than any crank available for a B block from the factory, and basically a full INCH longer than anything available in a B block since 1992. You would have to get a custom crank made, custom rods, a deck plate... then a hood to clear the engine that sits an inch higher... some way to cool the sleeve that runs through the deck plate if you do it that way.

Come to think of it, a stroke that long would be almost impossible in a B block. The rods you would need so the pistons wouldn't smack into the counterweights on the crank would be pretty damn long, and then you would have to notch the hell out of the bottom of the sleeve so you didn't slam your rods into the side... and to maintain any kind of rod/stroke ratio similar to what you had before, you'll need to spec the rods out to 175mm.

Fuck it. You've never seen a 2.7L B series. People barely take the H block out to 2.6L, not to mention 2.7... and there's a lot more room to play in there than a B block.

:p

K > B

That's all there is to it.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jan 13 2004, 10:58 PM-->
markiebredsol
@Jan 13 2004, 07:44 PM

Eh?

The best streetable all motor B series engines are only putting down 240-250whp at the MOST, and that's with some pretty trick mods and really good tuning, not to mention a good amount of luck. People are pulling 240whp+ out of the K20 blocks without even changing the compression or porting the head... and there's not much of a power difference?

Whatever.

K > B

I have NEVER seen a 2.7L B series block. Even if you ran with an 87mm bore- which would mean literally paper thin sleeve walls- you would have to use a stroke that's 113.6mm long. That's almost two centimeters longer than any crank available for a B block from the factory, and basically a full INCH longer than anything available in a B block since 1992. You would have to get a custom crank made, custom rods, a deck plate... then a hood to clear the engine that sits an inch higher... some way to cool the sleeve that runs through the deck plate if you do it that way.

Come to think of it, a stroke that long would be almost impossible in a B block. The rods you would need so the pistons wouldn't smack into the counterweights on the crank would be pretty damn long, and then you would have to notch the hell out of the bottom of the sleeve so you didn't slam your rods into the side... and to maintain any kind of rod/stroke ratio similar to what you had before, you'll need to spec the rods out to 175mm.

Fuck it. You've never seen a 2.7L B series. People barely take the H block out to 2.6L, not to mention 2.7... and there's a lot more room to play in there than a B block.

:p

K > B

That's all there is to it.

you got told! :owned:

negative..... do some reasearch and you will find that there is a stroker kit that will stroke to 2.7 liters and yes you do need a new hood. And dont tell me that i got told or whatever and dont fucking tell me that its impossible nothing is impossible..... it may take work but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible. I just dont like motors that don't make trq ie k20a imo the rsx is a piece of shit, its the same speed as a b series itr

man, you just don't know wtf you're talking about, funny stuff to read though. :lol:

back on topic,
i heard of people using just the K24 block and using K20 crank and head... making the K24 like a 2.3L?? i guess this gives better r/s ratio and piston speed.

Back