Karate video of myself, and my instructor.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
This is a video clip of a new to us waza (shime waza) it stands for Choking Technique *Strangulations-chokes/Sealing the Breath*. This video is the 2nd half of the flow drill. (first half is done while standing up) It's new to both of us (note the pauses) and as you may notice there's a few breaks where we get up and move ourselfs into a different spot. This is called a flow drill and we do that so the drill keeps flowing. In a real fight you would never stop and move to a better stance. Anywho, this is something I figured I would share with ya'll so you can get an idea of what my style of martial arts is like.

Here's the video.

http://www.jeffnortham.com/karate.wmv
6megs and work safe.

much later on I will show you guys a video of a throws drill we do. It has I believe 78 different take downs. in the start of the video I just posted you can see 1 of them. It's a very easy take down to setup to bad the video doesnt show the setup for it.

This is a webpage that gives you alittle more info on the style. http://www.society.webcentral.com.au/patrick.htm

:blink: :eek: that was gay...in a real fight i doubt you would 69 your enemy

it's cool but position 8 still leaves the grounded person's neck ungaurded, and 11-13 is unrealistic for street use. The pretty boy is cool, and there are a couple good rolls into "naked" chokes. Doesn't anyone just trap into the gillotine anymore?

Interesting to see it practiced. However I thought it funny to see this demonstrated. After all the shit talking on here about boxing being unrealistic and not working "outside the box" I get to watch a demonstration of techniques being done on a completely limp individual. Yeah thats realistic. <_< Thanks for posting it though.

Originally posted by E-dogg@Apr 14 2005, 12:05 AM
Interesting to see it practiced. However I thought it funny to see this demonstrated. After all the shit talking on here about boxing being unrealistic and not working "outside the box" I get to watch a demonstration of techniques being done on a completely limp individual. Yeah thats realistic. <_< Thanks for posting it though.
[post=486926]Quoted post[/post]​

Total in that set theres about 75-80 different chokes. When you get into a fight you would use ONE of them if that doesnt work you go to another one. This is a drill where you link as many as you can together as a way to practice them. it is in no way ment to be a fight or something that would happen if you were to get into a fight. It's just a way to pratice them.

Being that this is a drill yes you do work together. Would it happen like that in real life? hahahah hell no anyone who would think that is stupid. This is in no way ment to look like a fight or give off the thought of what a fight would be like if you were in one.

If I know 100 different ground chokes If I were to get into a fight I plan to use only one if that doesnt work you use fall backs till you find one that does work for you. in the mean time you bite, smash the nutts, push your chin into their eyes you name it....

If you ever watch UFC you should have picked up on a good bit of moves in that video. Around midway I was in the guard and the other guy put his leg up over my head and pulled it down into his body. that is the SAME MOVE used on Spike TV UFC 2 weeks ago to WIN the 2nd fight.

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Apr 13 2005, 11:39 PM
[post=486916]Quoted post[/post]​

I hope not but if you happen to fall that way it's nice to know you have options BTW it hurts like a mofo!

damnit, that makes me want to start takin classes again.

we had one that was real close to #6. i love all those.

i think if i take another martial art again its gonna be Aikido. or Judo.

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Apr 13 2005, 11:39 PM
[post=486916]Quoted post[/post]​

Werd, not a lot of punches being thrown. . . . kind unrealistic.

I thought that shit was cool. and yea i get what you say Jeffie, it didnt look to me like it was supposed to resemble a fight at all.

i thought it was pretty cool, looks like flow drills we did during wrestling only we obviously didnt do chokes. mostly rolls, arm bars, and legs, but the same idea. and like you said, it doesnt look like a real fight, but it does teach you what to do in certain situations.

Chokes are the real way to win almost any fight. Almost every fight that goes over 30 seconds will end up on the ground in some way or another. In one on one fighting a good ground game is the best friend u have.

Blanco we have a lot of really neat take downs from mid to high kicks. Most people Ive talked to that have spared/fought in a ring say kicks are not something you should do often unless it's a low kick to the thighs/shins Anything higher to that is just asking for a take down unless you're fighting some guy that dosnt know shit about fighting. If you fought a boxer I'd say kick the shit out of him! =)

Originally posted by jeffie7@Apr 14 2005, 11:56 PM
If you fought a boxer I'd say kick the shit out of him! =)
[post=487319]Quoted post[/post]​

ahhhh, exaclty why i chose martial arts over boxing, in boxing you punch a guy in the face, break his nose, he goes "ow, that hurt" and keeps fighting. im martial arts you kick a guy in the knee, game over, theres no fighting with a dislocated knee, or in the case of Judo, Jujistsu, and Aikido, yuo snap someones elbow/shoudler, i dont think they are gonna want to keep fighting.

watching the video I recognised a lot of farmilliar jime waza that we do in our judo class. I also read up a bit on your style, and it looks really interesting. It makes me wish we had more of a selection of martial arts in the area. Not that i really have the time, as its already spread out between my judo and uechi-ryu. But I look forward to more of your videos.

The effectiveness of a simple hadaka jime (naked choke) cant be understated in a fight. Cutting off the blood flow to the brain via the barrow receptors is an effective way to end a fight without hurting your opponent too much. Of course when your opponent isnt wearing a gi some technique modification is necessary (a lesson i learned the hard way practicing with the MMA guys in the dojo next door), but it can still be effectivly used with a shirt or jacket.

i like when that one guy said "I lost count, but whatever" lol...i myself am trying to get into muay thai and jujitsu.

LOL, Jeffie i still laugh everytime i look at that avatar

i just think "oh, hello piggy"

"dude just take them off"
"i cant, my asshole eyedoctor stapled them to my head."

/threadjack

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy+Apr 15 2005, 12:00 AM-->
@Apr 14 2005, 11:56 PM
If you fought a boxer I'd say kick the shit out of him! =)
[post=487319]Quoted post[/post]​

ahhhh, exaclty why i chose martial arts over boxing, in boxing you punch a guy in the face, break his nose, he goes "ow, that hurt" and keeps fighting. im martial arts you kick a guy in the knee, game over, theres no fighting with a dislocated knee, or in the case of Judo, Jujistsu, and Aikido, yuo snap someones elbow/shoudler, i dont think they are gonna want to keep fighting.
[post=487321]Quoted post[/post]​

Lets not forget Kickboxing -> Mui-Thai and International.

Back