Karate video of myself, and my instructor.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Blanco@Apr 21 2005, 05:52 PM
Here's another question. Do you test in class or in front of a panel? And how often?
[post=489739]Quoted post[/post]​

we tested in front of our Head instructor, USUALLY the head instructor from the valley school (we had 2 do-jangs in the same city) and any of the other instructors whos students were testing, assuming they werent testing.
Black belt tests are twice a year.

and we had regular class at the northside on Tues Thurs, in the valley on Mon Wed, and sparring class on friday tests took place on Friday after sparring class. myself along with most others onyl took classes twice a week. i was never a big sparrer, i liked to ref alot more.

we have a promotion test available every month, however you dont get invited untill your instructor allows. (our dojang had about 12 differernt classes of 10-30 students) we are the biggest TKD school in Eastern WA. maybe all of WA i dont remember.

when i quit in 2003 i was in my ninth year, and half way to my second dan. i was the instructor of our pee-wee program (3-6 years old), i taught 4 classes a week, and took 2. I was also the youngest student to ever have their own class at our dojang, which i thought was quite an honor. and let me tell you, trying to teach TKD to 3 year olds it tough. Sooo much fun though. there is nothing i miss more about taking classes than my kids. being capable enought to accurately teach a martial art to another and wathc them develop is by far the most rewarding thing i ever took out of classes.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Apr 22 2005, 12:38 AM-->
@Apr 20 2005, 05:39 PM
Size still means nothing.

[post=489309]Quoted post[/post]​

My point was and still is, that if you were to go against someone that was experienced in fighting thats bigger than you...you're going to get your ass handed to you. (I don't think you can refute that on a generalized basis)
[post=489917]Quoted post[/post]​

First off there's weight classes to keep it more sports like.

Anywho you're right. If X weighs 220lbs and Y is 160lbs If both have the same training who would win? um....... duh.

When you first said you would get your ass handed to you if the person was much bigger you didnt say anything about the bigger guy knowing any form of martial arts.

But that is with anything in life.

Bottom line if you take some 160lb guy who is well rounded in fighting and he gets into a fight with the AVG bar guy whos in the 220lb range chances are the 160lb guy will win. Now if you put yourself in a ring with two trained fighters then yes weight would make a big differance. Once again falling back on the sport side of it. Most people on the streets want to sucker punch you and take you to the ground and beat on you.

My instructor is a small guy so far every street fight hes been in the other guys have either sucker punched him or ran up and tackled him to the ground. Every single time it was with a much bigger guy and every time as soon as the attacker found out he was going to have to work hard to win the fight they gave up and either said STOP or in one case the guy rolled over and put his hands behind his head and layed there till my instructor got up.

You just came off as sounding like no matter how good your martial arts are "katate boy" the bigger guy will always win.

Damn all this Bruce Lee shit is making my head go crazy. Haha. But that was pretty cool stuff Jeffie.

I wish I was in China..... Then my uncle can teach me Wu Shu, even though its kind of for show..

Btw, how many people have actually gotten in a fight that has posted so far? Just wondering. Ive been/seen a couple of rumbles and its weird how much it varies. Sometimes its like straight up boxing, then sometimes its on the ground chokin, and then you get a mix of both. By far the worst is when someone gets jumped.
I think it was my freshman year in high school. White kid talks shit. White surpremicist. Says he and his friends are going to kill us. Get in a big group, someone starts swinging. Suddenly all his "friends" just start leaving him and then he gets the shit kicked out of him. Kinda felt sorry for him.

Gang fights are always gay. Because when someone loses, man they got to pull out the steel. I cried before. It may seem funny, but when someone puts a 45 in ur face, you wont be all hard. TRUST ME.

Btw where do you live Blanco? Sac area? Them Hmongs always roll in big ass clicks and they talk hella shit... Some are cool, but the "thugs" are always looking for beef.

good to hear blanco, i always liked to be the ukae(sp*) in class gettin your ass kicked by the instructor is always fun.

as far as fight experience, a talented martial artist shouldnt ever have to get into a physical battle, and anyone here with any real training could tell you that. myself personally ive managed to talk myself out of every dangerous situation i get in save one. when i was in 6th grade some 8th grader that had been picking on me heard that i was taking martial arts, at the time i think i was a green belt which is still a relatively low rank, and he tried to kick me, one move, he kicked i swept his foot to the sky, he fell on his ass, i walked away, and he never bothered me again.

also a talented martial artist will be confident in his skills but never cocky, ie. i dont walk around wearing my black belt around my head, but if someone asks me ill tell um.

personally, my opinon on judging other fighters is overly precautious, 1 out of every 20 americans is a Kukkiwon certified black belt, and in Korea, its 1 out of 5. and thats just TKD< add in all the other martial arts, and i would guess, 1 out of every 8 maybe 10 people are certified blackbelts in some martial art. and i know a good dozen people who i think could kick my ass.

I was watching "Cradle 2 the Grave" the other day and in some of the special features Jet was talkin about the UFC guys he worked with in the movie, and said something to the effect of, if i met them in a real fight i think they would squash me, their pretty strong guys. In my opinion Jet Li is one of the best martial artists of our times, and for someone with that much training and experience to be that humble, that shows to me even more how good of a martial artist they are.

Originally posted by Blanco@Apr 25 2005, 04:51 AM
Yep, someone with more skill will pretty much always win and all the more so if they're bigger/stronger than you. Those UFC guys are no joke because they fight hardcore all the time. Those are the guys that you go out of your way not to piss off. And they're easy to recognize by the way they carry themselves. If I ever found myself in the unfortunet situation of fighting someone like that, I'd do my damndest to break their knee and then run away with my arms flailing and screaming like a little girl. :lol:

I know a guy that was an acquaintance of my best friend. This guy is nuts. He's always on Roids, and just doesn't give a fuck about life, his own or other's. He tried to fight me, and although I know I had a good chance of coming out on top, I knew that he wouldn't stop until either he or I was severely beaten. It's always a better decision to just hold your tongue, swallow your pride and walk away.

Granted that I'm only 18, I've been in a few fights, but not too many. I'm not a big guy, partially the reason that I started taking TKD in the first place. The first one, was when I was in elementary school. Big kid starts pushing me around, I kicked him in the ball sack, tossed his ass to the ground, and never got bothered again. Next was in 6th grade. Big fight between the G's and the skaters. I just remember ramming my shoulder into this one thug faggot to knock him down, and then just grabbed another by the collar and beat his face in. I got the hell out of there after that. 8th grade, this kid is talking a lot of shit, and when I was walking away, he ran after me, with head lowered like a football tackle. I just stepped aside, grabbed hold of the back of his shirt and threw him face first into a wooden fence. He didn't get off the ground until I was out of sight. In high school, the closest I was to a fight, was when this guy tried to hit me, I just grabbed his arm, twised his wrist, locked his elbow behind his back, and had my hand on him on the ground in about 1 second flat. The most recent was last school year at a party. I was one of the 3 sober people at a party of about 50-60 people. Shit goes down, this guy pulls out a .22 or some small hand gun. I was right behind him when he pulled it out. I shoved him hard in the back with my left hand as I took the gun out of his hand with my right. Before he even knew who did it, I had the clip out and was emptying it as I was walking away. I took the bullet out of the chamber, and threw it as far as I could into the field, with the clip sent well on its way in the other direction. I haven't had a problem since. I know that I can handle myself when shit gets rough, but I don't advertise.

I dont now much about martial arts, but it sure looks friggin cool. However, i once asked someone who fought alot and he said that most martial arts are just displays. I think I agree. Like TKD and Kung Fu, most of it is high kicks and flips and such. He said that Judo, Akkido, and any sort of grappling is the most useful.
I think by far the greatest stamina has to go to the Shaolin. Mother lovers are crazy. Sleeping in below zero snow with only a thin blank. It was on the Nat. Geo. channel. Being kicked in the balls and stuff like that, man.
In the end though, no martialist can stop a gun. I mean yeah, maybe if I was a few feet away u can be fast enough, but a few yards and its like Duck Hunt baby.

However, i once asked someone who fought alot and he said that most martial arts are just displays.
I've also heard that. But never once from anyone who know anything about martial arts. People who watch movies tend to talk a lot of shit.

As far as the gun comment you're very right that's why I have 2 .22s 1 .40 and a 12G =)

Almost all of your normal fights you see in bars do not have guns in them. Since its some guy whos just pissed off you happened to look at his girl friend IHO the wrong way.

but if a gun comes into the picture there's ways to get around it if you're close "arms distance" but other then that you can only beat a gun with a gun.

lol, we had a great disgussion bout this 4 years ago in one of my high school classes, we had a mock legislature, and one of the bills we were trying to pass was for stricter gun controll, and my buddy Justin (who just got his 2nd dan in TKD in Nov and was 1st dan then) was arguing for stricter gun controll and one of the girls went "justin, why do you care, you are a black belt." and justin points as himself and says "yeah but i dont dodge bullets".

LOL, guess you had to be there.

luckilly ive never run into that problem, i hang with a pretty clean group of kids. but if i ever do, unless the person is standing at arms reach, and alone, and drunk, and i can distract him, then im gonna do whatever he asks.

I completely agree. As I said before, I've only had one encounter with someone with a gun. I had success because I was right behind him when he pulled it out. I shoved him as I took the gun, and got it the fuck out of there. Now, had he pulled it on me, and held it to my face, then your number of options just tood a huge nosedive.

Back