Keyless ignition on a manual

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chestercheeto48

VIP
I was driving last weekend and I heard an ad for a new audio shop here in my area. This shop is claiming that they are putting a mass produced keyless ignition on manuals. I know that it is possible to do by rigging up a few things but I always thought that insurance companies would never ever ever cover this. I guess I am wondering if any of you have heard of this "new" ignition set-up or are they just blowing smoke. I wish I could find the website of this install shop.

if they found a way to either depress the clutch, or have the system make sure the gear shift is in neutral, then its theoretically possible

Yeah they would need some type of sensor to make sure teh car is in neutral. I had remote start in my 5spd at one points. It's easy to make work but not safley.

All you have to do is cut both wires that go to the sensor on the clutch pedal and splice them together. All it is is a button, and when the clutch is pressed in the button gets pressed in. When the button is pressed, it completes the loop, and grounds whatever sensor senses the clutch.

I did this to both the fodo and the prelude, so that you don't have to push the clutch in to start the car.

If you want remote start, just go buy a $30 remote start/alarm from Circuit City and install it yourself. Just wire the clutch sensor like stated above, install the remote start just like the instructions show (for an automatic), and always leave your car in neutral when you're parked.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 4 2004, 11:28 AM
All you have to do is cut both wires that go to the sensor on the clutch pedal and splice them together. All it is is a button, and when the clutch is pressed in the button gets pressed in. When the button is pressed, it completes the loop, and grounds whatever sensor senses the clutch.

You have it slightly backwards. The button is a normally closed button that is pressed in when the clutch is not being pressed. When you press the clutch, it lets go of the button which completes the circuit. Same effect.

um bad idea cutting the wire!
buy a remote starter made for a manual.
they are widley avail and work good the higher end ones come with two lasers that are set to sense the gear shift in the nuetral position

i thought you were talking about a keyless car like the one from the transporter. punch a code and the car starts. that what i want.

you leave the car in gear and start it it will run into any object/ car/ person/
ITS 110% ILLEGAL

does anyone know what it would take to turn my car into one like the beamer in the transporter? i just think that would be the coolest shit ever.

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy@Nov 5 2004, 07:44 AM
does anyone know what it would take to turn my car into one like the beamer in the transporter? i just think that would be the coolest shit ever.
[post=412438]Quoted post[/post]​

puberty pwns j00!!!

You can get modules for house/office alarms and stuch that when you type the right code, it will make a connection, but timing for this is going to suck. I don't know how you're going to get the circuit closed long enough for your motor to start. I'm sure its been done out there somewhere.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 5 2004, 12:33 AM
you leave the car in gear and start it it will run into any object/ car/ person/
ITS 110% ILLEGAL
[post=412424]Quoted post[/post]​

If you leave the car in gear with ANY sort of remot start, it's gonna run into something. Show me a remote start system that holds the clutch in for you, and I'll show you a picture of a donkey assraping a tortoise.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 5 2004, 01:33 AM
ITS 110% ILLEGAL
[post=412424]Quoted post[/post]​

That's why God invented the Ebrake.

There are kits out there that allow you to bypass the clutch pedal button and some even will kick the car out of gear before it tries to start it.

If you set the alarm up with the turbo timer, you won't have this problem. You've gotta have it in neutral and with mine the ebrake has to be up. That way its harder to screw up and forget about it being in gear.

edit: You cannot electronically activate your clutch on a Honda. That Viper kit just has a bypass for the clutch button (search for it on Honda-Tech, there was a thread on there a while back about Install Instructions that this question came up). I have never heard of a kit that would kick your car out of gear, once again on a Honda you cannot do this electronically. Maybe if there was some sort of mechanical arm or something to either hold down the clutch or kick the car out of gear, it would work. Until someone links some kind of system that actually activates the clutch (not bypasses the button so the car THINKS the clutch is pushed in), I'm still sticking with what I first said.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 11:44 AM
the Viper kit just bypasses the clutch button.
[post=412518]Quoted post[/post]​

It says it will do more than that :D

Back