Kid suspended in GA

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I can't tell you how much this angers me. Spencer highschool in Columbus, GA suspended a kid for 10 days because he refused to hang up his cell phone when his mom who is serving in Iraq for a year called. The school has a no cell phone use policy on campus. The kid got angry and gave a well deserved verbal lashing at the teacher who was on a power trip. You can read about it on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/05/06/ca...n.ap/index.html

Please join me in flaming the principle of the Spencer Highschool:
Olivia Rutledge orutledge@mcsdga.net

and the super intendent of the school district:
Dr. John A. Phillips, Jr. jphillips@mcsdga.net

Please spread this around to make sure the morons incharge of the school are given a reality check from the entire United States of America.

yo, I saw this in the morning news, this is some F_CKED UP SHIT!!! f_CK THAT ST_PID PRINCIPAL AND ALL THE ADMINISTRATION!!!

I work in an elementary school, our kids are allowed to have cell phones but not to use them, however there are some kids that have used them to call their parents but near the office... we allow them too bc its their parents...

messed up part is, the mom is in IRAQ!!! She's giving her life for our nation and a F_CKEN PRINCIPAL suspends the child!!! BULLSHIT 100%

My email to those guys, F_CK THEM BASTARDS:

YOU GUYS SUCK!!! I work in an elementary school in Los Angeles, Los Angeles Unified School District to be exact. It is a big shame for you guys to suspend a child who's mother is in Iraq serving for our country! God bless America except you, the administrators of that school. How cruel and rotten can you guys be!

We have the same cell-phone policy that your school has, however we sometimes let students call their parents i.e. when they are having a bad day in class, since I work in a inner-city elementary school.

Its a shame that you guys suspended the child after the child told you that he was speaking to his mother in IRAQ!!! What about of the mother gets killed tonight or tomorrow!!! YOU GUYS SUCK!!!

Originally posted by mdlax1@May 6 2005, 09:37 PM
if he doesnt' sue...
[post=496190]Quoted post[/post]​

How could he sue? Bottoml ine they have a policy that says no cell phones.
Does that make it right for what the teacher did? no, the teacher is a total DICK.
however he in no way could sue becuase the school followed a policy that IMO most public places should have.

once again I think the teacher should have let it slide but who knows maybe this kid talks on his phone everyday to random people and the teacher has to get on him everyday about it and today he just so happened to have his mom on the phone so he figured why not lash out on the teacher becuase he MIGHT beable to get away with it today?

Delivery unsuccessful: Mailbox has exceeded the limit

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<orutledge@mcsdga.net>

The size of this mailbox has exceeded the mailbox limit

I agree wih jeffie here. Policy is policy. If the kid breaks it he has to deal with the consequences. It isnt like the school instituted the policy just because they wanted to punish this kid. He knew the rules and chose to violate them, subsequenty he chose to accept the consequences associated with his actions.

in any case the kid wasn't suspended for talking on the phone (during lunch, a dumb policy) but he was suspended for using profanity with a teacher. There are better ways to solve issues than to be combative with a teacher.

Originally posted by Guy@May 6 2005, 10:46 PM
I agree wih jeffie here. Policy is policy. If the kid breaks it he has to deal with the consequences. It isnt like the school instituted the policy just because they wanted to punish this kid. He knew the rules and chose to violate them, subsequenty he chose to accept the consequences associated with his actions.

in any case the kid wasn't suspended for talking on the phone (during lunch, a dumb policy) but he was suspended for using profanity with a teacher. There are better ways to solve issues than to be combative with a teacher.
[post=496199]Quoted post[/post]​

And there are better ways for a teacher to handle this than to be combative with a kid.

They should have approached him more maturely and asked him to step outside to finish his call since it was on his LUNCH break and all...

after that have a talk with him in private without making him give up the ONLY time his mother can talk to him since he hasn't seen her for 4 months now.

I understand that it was a policy to be upheld, but I'm sure that you can agree this was not a normal circumstance where the kid was talking to his drop out drug dealer in the middle of the day.

Originally posted by 2000Si+May 6 2005, 11:25 PM-->
@May 6 2005, 10:46 PM

[post=496199]Quoted post[/post]​

And there are better ways for a teacher to handle this than to be combative with a kid.

They should have approached him more maturely and asked him to step outside to finish his call since it was on his LUNCH break and all...

after that have a talk with him in private without making him give up the ONLY time his mother can talk to him since he hasn't seen her for 4 months now.

I understand that it was a policy to be upheld, but I'm sure that you can agree this was not a normal circumstance where the kid was talking to his drop out drug dealer in the middle of the day.
[post=496204]Quoted post[/post]​

My point is theres no grounds for a lawsuit.

And the fact that for all you know this same kid could have been on his phone for the last week every single day and this day the teacher just happened to snap.

the media tends to take a story and run with it with or with out all the facts.

I have a feeling that we're not hearing the full story.

and we're probably not, I'm not talking about the suspension... I'm talking about the faculty taking the wrong approach to dealing with upholding their policy.

its just a fucking suspension

you guys act like he got expeled.

he gets a 10 day vacation, whooptie shit

must be nice to be able to have cell phones in school. when i was in school, none of us at the school (students) didnt have a cell phone. only thing some people had were pagers and the students couldnt have those at the school at all.

geez i feel old now...

Hell, when I was in school, "cell phones" came in small briefcases, with a huge antenna.

My view on the subject is, he failed to follow school policy, period.

I understand that he was talking o his mom in Iraq, BUT, having been in Iraq, and the worse you can get at that, there are ample opportunities to call home, use the internet. So I dare say it wasn't like he hadn't spoken to her in months or more than likely even days. Also as previously pointed out, he may have been more than billigerant, and have been abusing the policy, or whatever leaneancy(sp) that may have been given to him due to his circumstances. That is why there are policies, and rules.

Originally posted by jeffie7@May 7 2005, 12:00 AM

My point is theres no grounds for a lawsuit.

And the fact that for all you know this same kid could have been on his phone for the last week every single day and this day the teacher just happened to snap.

the media tends to take a story and run with it with or with out all the facts.

I have a feeling that we're not hearing the full story.
[post=496207]Quoted post[/post]​

people have sued for spilling their own coffe on themselves, im sure some lawyer can bring up a case.

either way i would have done the same thing.. only i would have had a few more middle fingers and fuck you's.. i'll take a 10 day vacation for talking to my mother who is in a FORWARD position.. aka bitch is getting shot

shouldnt the mother recognize that her son was in school at the time and could have just waited a few more hours to call him. im with blanco Rules are rules, ifyou break em you suffer the consequences.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@May 7 2005, 02:26 PM
im with blanco Rules are rules, ifyou break em you suffer the consequences.
[post=496315]Quoted post[/post]​

not specifically right in this cas but your comment here is retarded. but waht happpens when the rules are wrong. black people werent allowed to be in the same schools, that was a rule and because of that what right did those popel have to break it. . great comment

Don't blame the teacher- she was following policy. She has no choice. If the kid had said "It's my Mom in Iraq- can I step outside?" I'm sure it would have been ok. Cussing someone out because you failed to follow the rules doesn't put you in the clear. I'm sure that if someone's kid called them in Iraq while they were in a briefing, the soldier wouldn't have been able to just talk to them in the middle of a meeting with their CO. Same deal.

are you really comparing segregation to this????? thats a wee bit extreme. Its like comparing Hitlers rule (if you dont look like a REAL german or if your jewish youll be killed) to this... atleast bring some relevance to this issue. I dont understand how the rule of not picking up a phone in class is wrong. We had those rules in my school, turn off your phone in class and dont answer it, it disrupts the whole class. Why would you WANT a kid to answer his cell phone in class?? I understand that this kid probably hasnt seen his mom is a while, but there are other means of communication. Plus its not like there isnt other times when she could call him..

We dont know enough information to make a judgement on this situation. Maybe the teacher was a complete ass about it, and thats why the kid got angry?

maybe the teacher was at fault, but maybe the student was too. I can totally understand why he is pissed. but there is no reason to lash out on teachers, lashing out only causes trouble, and honestly, what do you expect to happen when you yell at a teacher,???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back