Kid suspended in GA

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
for all the kid knew is that it could be the last time he ever had the chance to talk to her again.... should could die at any time

Originally posted by Guy@May 6 2005, 10:46 PM
I agree wih jeffie here. Policy is policy. If the kid breaks it he has to deal with the consequences. It isnt like the school instituted the policy just because they wanted to punish this kid. He knew the rules and chose to violate them, subsequenty he chose to accept the consequences associated with his actions.

in any case the kid wasn't suspended for talking on the phone (during lunch, a dumb policy) but he was suspended for using profanity with a teacher. There are better ways to solve issues than to be combative with a teacher.
[post=496199]Quoted post[/post]​

If you believe for a second that 'policy is policy' and there shouldn't have been an exception for this case then I am sorry for you.

Usually I am a hardass but its absurd for a teacher to get on a student who is on the phone with his parent, let alone a parent who is in Iraq. What if it were an emergency or if the child hadn't talked to the mother in a long while and this was the only time he could talk to her? There's always is an exception to the rule.

If as someone said, the student was always on the cell phone then I could see yelling at him but not suspending him at this instance. Wait until the problem reoccured and deal with the situation at a more appropriate time.

As for using profanity with the teacher, this obviously is not right but sometimes the stress gets to be too difficult to cope with and you slip and say things you shouldn't have. Does this make the situation right, no but given the circumstances it could probably be excuseable.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@May 7 2005, 02:26 PM
shouldnt the mother recognize that her son was in school at the time and could have just waited a few more hours to call him. im with blanco Rules are rules, ifyou break em you suffer the consequences.
[post=496315]Quoted post[/post]​

Do you know the difference in time between Iraq and the United States. Perhaps it was in the morning over there or late at night and mid day here? The mother shouldn't have to wait to call her child if she doesn't have that many opportunities or if she sees fit.

A parent can elect to home teach their stupid but can't decide when her child is allowed to talk to her in school?

The student should have been able to excuse himself and talk on the phone. If the teacher didn't allow the student to excuse himself then by all means, talk in the middle of the class. Thats the teacher who won't allow a student to go the bathroom, fine sit there and piss your pants.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene
Do you know the difference in time between Iraq and the United States.

I do, anywhere between 8 and 12 hours.

A parent can elect to home teach their stupid but can't decide when her child is allowed to talk to her in school?

Nope, school dictates when students can use thier phone, not the parents.

What if it were an emergency or if the child hadn't talked to the mother in a long while and this was the only time he could talk to her?

The services have channels that if an emergency arises contact, and nescessary actions will take place. Both ways. If his dad was in a car wreck, it wouldn't do any good for him to call his mom, that wouldn't do anything. The Red Cross would send a message, and the mother would be flown home. Leaders will make you call home if you don't for a while, communication with family is a big thing there.

If as someone said, the student was always on the cell phone then I could see yelling at him but not suspending him at this instance. Wait until the problem reoccured and deal with the situation at a more appropriate time.

Maye he was, maybe he wasn't. Point is no one knows the total cicumstances surrounding the event. Maybbe the kid wasn't even talking to his mom, just using it as an excuse, maybe he was a total dickhead and the teacher asked several times politely, we don't know, so to say something is wrong is not possible.

Originally posted by Blanco@May 9 2005, 02:18 AM

Here's what we always used to say at the drum shop, "if you want the bro' deal, you've gotta' be a bro'". How does that translate? Social engineering. You're the kid in class, the phone that you're not supposed to even have rings in class, you see that it's your mother in Iraq, you say "I'm sorry, it's my mother in Iraq and I'm going outside to talk to her", and you do that while dealing with the consequences that you know are coming. Which brings up another saying, "don't do the crime if you can't do the time". What you don't do is act like a belligerent little toad. So no, his behavior is not excusable since he went about the thing in completely the wrong fashion. The stress might have been too much for him, maybe this will start to teach him that lashing out is not an acceptable way of dealing with a problem.

As John, someone who was over there, has pointed out twice already...it's not like there was a long lapse in communication.

Thats exactly what I said he should have done, excuse himself and answer the phone. If the student asked the teacher to be excused and the teacher didn't allow him then shame on the teacher. He's not a five year old, he can handle himself and is old enough to be able to choose when he would like to leave the classroom or not. He's old enough to make his decision whether or not he would like to continue his education, so he's old enough to leave the classroom. In college you don't have to raise your hand to excuse yourself from the class, yet some High School teachers feel the need to be sticklers and go out of their way to not allow students to leave...poor teaching style, thats not a way to gain respect and become credible to young adults.

With that said, as I also already said he shouldn't have lashed out at the teacher, but hey shit happens. Perhaps he was completely out of line or perhaps the teacher provoked him...we don't know.

As for being over in Iraq and being in contact with your family, its not the same for every person over there. I need people that went long periods of time, when in combat, not talking to their family or friends. I also had a friend that lost an arm over there and had zero contact with friends for quite awhile after the attack, I'm sure his family was notified soon after it happened though. Point is perhaps the mother was actively in combat and this was the first time she had to talk to her son or perhaps she had just underwent a traumatic event and felt the need to call her child. Whatever the case the mother had a right to call her son. You can call your family members at work or any other time, why not during school if it were important?

I received a call from my mother during class one day and excused myself because I figured it was an emergency...for a teacher to not allow that, they're morons.

sidebar - I think you like to argue just for the sake of seeing yourself type. You reiterated everything that I said except a difference of opinion on the consequences.

Originally posted by Blanco+May 10 2005, 10:58 AM-->
New2TheCarScene
@May 10 2005, 10:33 AM
sidebar - I think you like to argue just for the sake of seeing yourself type. You reiterated everything that I said except a difference of opinion on the consequences.
[post=497365]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey genius. That's what the freaking argument is about.

And to address another point, what ever happened to calling the school office and having your child paged out of class so you can talk to them on the phone, without disrupting the rest of the class? Seemed to work just fine when I was in high school. For a teacher to not allow a disruption to the their class and to not allow a flagrant violation of the rules, shows that they actually care. I never had any problems with my parents being able to get ahold of me when they called the school office. If it wasn't important, they sent out a message during that class period and if it was important they paged you over the intercom. Contrary to popular belief, kids do not need cell phones while they're at school.
[post=497372]Quoted post[/post]​

It seemed to work fine huh? Thats why there was no interuption when a student got called down to the office through the loud speaker and all the kids started laughing and saying "ooooo, you're in trouble". No disruption whatsoever.

You really can be an idiot sometimes.

What the teacher did was stupid and just shows that his teaching methods cannot control the students. Ever notice the students respect the best teachers? ...there's a reason for that and thats how they conduct themselves.

Does anyone need a cell phone ever? Do Americans have to have longer work days and shorter vacations times? No, we got along just fine without cell phones before or computers or even electricity. They're called modern conveniences for a reason, most things except for basic survival needs aren't esential. Is a cell phone currently an 'essential' in modern America? Yes, if you can afford the phone it makes things a lot easier. The woman was in Iraq, she didn't need a phone book to call up the school and ask to speak with her child; it was more convenient for her to call her son up directly and her, being an adult, thats a decision thats she's entitled to make.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@May 10 2005, 05:39 PM
The woman was in Iraq, she didn't need a phone book to call up the school and ask to speak with her child; it was more convenient for her to call her son up directly and her, being an adult, thats a decision thats she's entitled to make.
[post=497400]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, in an extreme sense, cutting off an eighty year old womans head and raping her corpse is a descision that an adult can make. Is it right? No.

Fact is, no one knows the circumstances, hers or his, till then, nothing can be more than opinion. But from my experiance, she could have called whenever it was convienent for her son also, when he wouldn't get in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back