Kind of a dumb question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Incredib1e

Kind of a stupid question but just want some opinions. I blew my motor about a month ago and now I need a new one. I was pretty sure that i was going to get a LS motor a local junk yard told me that I could probably get the whole set up for 1300. Then I called another company and they told me that I would be better off buying an EX motor and just drop it in. That way I wouldn't have to deal with changing the mount, axels, ect.. He said I could get the motor and transmission for 950. I have a $2,000 limit just keep that in mind. Let me know what you think.

whole set up for 1300

Would indicate that it came with everything, axles, shiflinkage, ECU and mounts. I'd say confirm that it does and go with the LS.

would i get a significant power gain with the EX motor anyway? I'm not sure about the axels and that stuff would have to check.

what do you have now??

950 for a d-series is a fucking rip off.

1300 for the ls is pretty average.

bseries > d series

:)

get the ls. its not a hard swap

Originally posted by Incredib1e@Jan 14 2004, 02:00 AM
would i get a significant power gain with the EX motor anyway? I'm not sure about the axels and that stuff would have to check.

I have a 98 dx hatchback
So D16y7 i guess

it would be a gain of about 20hp

definatly get the B series

Is 2000 even going to be enough to get a B18b swap? Does that seem reasonable after everything else that is needed?

oh hell yeah bro, you can def. do it for that much money- just make smart purchases, but you shouldn't have much problem, providing you don't spend a ton on the powertrain

950 for a d-series...

while you're throwing money away like that, buy me a set of skunk2 cams.

i sold...no, got rid of my stock d16y7 for $150. d-series are crap.

definitely go with the b-series.

im serous! B all the way, you should know this, you need to spend a few hours sufing if ya know what i mean go look around and you will see how easy it can be done with 2k, with 2k you should come out with a clean low mile motor and a very clean swap provided you buy good/new parts when needed ie. bolts nuts ect. etc. all the misc stuff. you have plenty and you should do the B series

I've been surfing, its been about a month and I can't seem to find shit. If you all could help me out, find me a motor that would be great. haha. I know that the B series is a lot better but I was figuring with 2gs I could buy the D and get something that works for cheaper, but I talked to E Solsi and decided I should go with the B. Now I continue to search.

:blink:

don't look at places like nippon.....etc.....they are so ridiculously high on some motors- look on ebay...try all the used motor sites and it can never hurt to check local newspapers and junkyards- i know by where i like there is usually at least one honda motor in the paper every couple of weeks-

hit up your junkyard. you wont have to pay shipping.. and theres 23213123 base model tegs out there... try to find a 96-98 motor, as it will be the easiest to swap in wire wise.

I don' t want to sell my car I love that thing. I've tried most local junk yards they all tell me the same thing. They don't have one in or they don' t have the complete swap. MOSTLY they don't have the tranny.

I finally found me a motor, took me a month but hopefully in the next two days I will have a 97 LS motor in my hands for 1200. Complete swap actually. Hopefully by next week I will have my car back, only hoping though

sweet .... good luck :)

Its funny how things work out, right after i posted here that I found a motor, I guy from Virginia calls me and tells me he'll sell me his motor for 1350 99 B18b. Now I'm stuck again.

I guess I'll just take a look at the one from the junk yard first, if it doesn't work out then I'll give that guy a call.

Back