knife edging good or bad hor high rev vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wow... that was very well said.. i think im gonna put my stock underdrive pulley back on and try and resell the other one,
i know with the crank pulley you want to use the stock altinator pulley also what about power steeing? same situation?

im basically building a car just for racing. my truck is my everyday driver
basically this car is going to come out for competition... wich is about every other night that i need to stomp on other ppls cars because they think honda sucks and whatnot but within just racing it it would be nice to drive it once a week or so so its not going to be balls out but its going to turn heads, thats basically my goal

basically where i live its full of honda haters. i have 5 ppl building and turboing there cars this winter because they were pissed off they got beat by a honda so i need to come out this summer better and faster then i was before, basically im representing honda in my city lol just be and my brother,

If you want to do both, IMO, which is frequently wrong so don't swear by me, a max output build would probably net you the best results.

Often, an engine will perform best when it's built for the kind of racing you intend to use it for, but since the two kind of contradict each other in some respects, you'll find it hard to really have your cake and eat it too unless you just go for a maximum output build.

Your trans. is going to be really important to your setup, so you're aware.

There's enough chassis related modifications that you can do to help the car handle the high output of the engine and use it well to race from a dig, like a good front xmember, good suspension work etc... while allowing it to still perform well at WOT in higher gears etc.. That's why I'm suggesting max output instead of purpose built, it's the only way (that I can see) to really have a lot of available power all of the time for your needs. I think focused chassis design will facilitate the "purpose built" aspects of what you need, like handling a high powered launch, or being able to withstand cross winds on the highway, or being able to take a corner hard and not making sooo much power you can't grip etc...

im sticking with the gsr tranny. b16 does get up and go but gears are to short for me

Knife edge the crank. Less rotating mass is better for an engine, it puts less load on bearings and such with less rotating mass. This will not lower the life of your engine at all. As long as you get the crank balanced afterwards. Any one with a computerized crank balancer can balance a crank just as good as honda. Its a good way to let your engine rev higher also. The engine in my dad's sprintcar has NO flywheel and barely anything for counterbalance on the crank. If you don't half-ass it like most ricers do, you'll be fine. And the only reason I hate ricers is because they give us a bad reputation.

if i were to get it knife edged it would be professionally balanced, if its good to knife edge it for track why would it be bad for street? its not being pushed as hard

i want to lol i just dont wanna fuck it up
if i were to knife edge it and either keep my stock pulley or buy a new harmonic balancer would that change anything or would it still be at huge risk?

only reason i wanna make sure there is no little glitch in the knife edging thing is because it adds mad acceleration but i dont want accell in place of ruining my engine, for my crank to be knife edged it was only going to cost 125$ with balancing, im just exhausting every option, you were prolly the same way with your first build

like i said, the only people id trust with knife edging is castillo's. and it sure as shit will cost a fuck load more then 125.

i have already accepted that i cant knifeedge it. im just making perfect clear that i cant before i actually do the build so if i later find out it can be good i dont have to tear it back down and do it again.
im not doin it

i was thinking about the fluidampner but the alt pully is so small i wouldn't beable to run my box and amp. ati doesn't make them for the h series yet

knifedgeing doesnt shorten engine life.
you can run it without any problems as long as its done from a good machine/crank shop

unless your talking about breaking the crank, other engine failures wouldn't have to do with the crank being lighter.
those honda cranks are strong

Back