knife edging good or bad hor high rev vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You remove weight from the crank, you change the internal harmonics of the crank. Modes of vibration are changed, bad things happen.

i think im just gonna micropolish it and balance it.
my nest turbo project ill just go aftermarket

balancing doesnt fix all the vibrations. shit is balanced from the factory, and it still vibrates. because of the pistons and rods. hell if you could just banace it, and have it perfect you wouldnt even need engine mounts, just bolt it to the frame.

the only way id run a knife edged crank was if i had it done at castillo's, perfectly balanced, stress relieved, and then run an ATI damper

All you should need to do is micropolish it. You don't need to have it balanced, just balance the rods, pistons, and flywheel.

its a fidanza flywheel i believe there pre balanced but im getting the whole thing balanced. rods crank pistons i guess i could tell him to do the flywheel also.
so even if a honda crank is ran for over 200k miles i would still be in balance?

its a fidanza flywheel i believe there pre balanced but im getting the whole thing balanced. rods crank pistons i guess i could tell him to do the flywheel also.
so even if a honda crank is ran for over 200k miles i would still be in balance?

If the crank is a stock, untouched crank, you shouldn't need to balance it. unless you took a chunk out of it, or dropped it and bet it or what not, and in those cases you should just replace it anyway.

Why would milage make a crank go out of balance? Do you hear us telling you that only the best shops in the country can balance a crank as good as Honda? You are not going to one of the best shops in the country. Leave your crank alone.

Dude, any shop with a computerized crank balancer can do it perfectly. Its not like no one has ever done this before. Its pretty common in racing.

Cut and win:

crank2.jpg

Crankshaft knife-edging can reduce reciprocating weight, and allow your crankshaft to cut through that "taffy" of crankcase oil much easier.

This translates to more acceleration, longevity and power.

Note longevity.

too bad the crank doesnt sit in oil on our engines... sur a lot of shops can balance, but how many can stress relieve? how many actually do it?

too bad the crank doesnt sit in oil on our engines... sur a lot of shops can balance, but how many can stress relieve? how many actually do it?

That explanation was taken from bisimoto's website. I'm sure he knows what hes talking about......

Once again, race cars are not street cars. Longevity on the race track and longevity on the streets are two very, very different things.

He did say he was using his car for racing... and his truck for everyday driving.

blanco im gonna have to disagree with the surface texture being used to fling oil on the cylinders. IMO its just a result of the casting. the rods have holes in them to squirt oil, and in the case of b16, b18c(1,5) the oil squirters.

and again, IMO, taking weight off the crank will reduce its strength and life. its simple mechanics of materials. when you reduce the size of a part that carries fluctuationg loads, you reduce its endurance strength and the lifespan of the part. and it further decreases the more power you are making. like i said, id only knife edge it on a race engine (because who needs the extra few hp and trouble for a street engine anyway) with work done by castillo's coupled with an ATI damper.

bisi does know what hes talking about. but bisi is also an engineer and not a fabricator. do you think he lightens his own cranks? or makes his own headers? no. he makes a design, and gets someone who knows what they are doing to make it happen. and he also knows how to sell a product, even if that means bending the truth or exaggerating. ask randy of RMF what he thinks of bisi, youll be surprised. "omg but its BISI, he MUST know whats up, so lets listen to him and throw money at him blindly!!" everyone bows down to him, like hes this magical guy or something, just another guy to me.

really want to do something with the crank that will increase hp. try a crank scraper. it will help reduce windage losses. or you could get the crank coated with an oil shedding coating. this makes oil not stick to the crank and slip right off. reducing the weight of the crank when its running by keeping the oil off it. theres just lots of other options

blanco im gonna have to disagree with the surface texture being used to fling oil on the cylinders. IMO its just a result of the casting. the rods have holes in them to squirt oil, and in the case of b16, b18c(1,5) the oil squirters.

and again, IMO, taking weight off the crank will reduce its strength and life. its simple mechanics of materials. when you reduce the size of a part that carries fluctuationg loads, you reduce its endurance strength and the lifespan of the part. and it further decreases the more power you are making. like i said, id only knife edge it on a race engine (because who needs the extra few hp and trouble for a street engine anyway) with work done by castillo's coupled with an ATI damper.

bisi does know what hes talking about. but bisi is also an engineer and not a fabricator. do you think he lightens his own cranks? or makes his own headers? no. he makes a design, and gets someone who knows what they are doing to make it happen. and he also knows how to sell a product, even if that means bending the truth or exaggerating. ask randy of RMF what he thinks of bisi, youll be surprised. "omg but its BISI, he MUST know whats up, so lets listen to him and throw money at him blindly!!" everyone bows down to him, like hes this magical guy or something, just another guy to me.

really want to do something with the crank that will increase hp. try a crank scraper. it will help reduce windage losses. or you could get the crank coated with an oil shedding coating. this makes oil not stick to the crank and slip right off. reducing the weight of the crank when its running by keeping the oil off it. theres just lots of other options

:werd: post of the day right there. The randy vs. bisi rants on HT made me laugh my ass off. Classic engineer/designer vs fabricator feud.

crank scraper?
there are only 2 things i know about what to do to a crank. knife edge it wich is obviously a bad idea. or micropolish it and have it coated...
but what is scraping?

Back