1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knock Sensor bypass

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by RHDism, May 1, 2011.

1. RHDism

RHDism Right Hand Drive guru

So Im going to attempt the knock sensor bypass on a 99 Ex coupe Im working on.

Ive read a few articles and gathered most info I need to accomplish this.

At one point someone swapped out the Y8 block with a d15b2, and of course there is no knock sensor on a d15 block or a CKF sensor.

For those of you that have some knowledge w this bypass, it consists of adding
    a piezo transducer in place of the knock sensor.

feel free to share your thoughts or knowledge.

If all works out well, I will ad a tutorial write up to this thread.

2. D16SiHatch

D16SiHatch New Member

everything i've read about how to bypass the knock sensor has left much to desire in the form of a real fix. i have read about the bypass involving the transducer, and it didn't really work all that well from what i saw. wasn't worth the hassle for me so i just converted to an obd1 ecu. cost me maybe $140 total, really wasn't a big deal, and i didn't have to ghetto-rig anything.

3. RHDism

RHDism Right Hand Drive guru

I actually initially felt the same from the write ups I have seen. Ghetto.

Although, after researching the multi use of piezo, I had faith it would do the job and so far it has.

Piezo transducers are available at radio shack for a couple bucks each.

I suggest using 2 of them. Wire them in series, meaning negative to positive.
    Solder and heat shrink or tape over your connections.

The civic I was working on actually still had the broken knock sensor plastic
    plug on the harness so I soldered the positve connection of the piezo directly to it.
    Ground the negative side of the piezo to the engine block under the intaki mani. There are a couple 10mm hex head bolts in the vicinity.

Piezo transducers respond to vibration just as an actual knock sensor does, so mount it where vibration is high. I mounted mine with a zip tie to the alternator wire housing, to where it was making contact with the alternator housing itself.

This will work if you are using a block that does not accomodate a knock sensor or your knock sensor is broken, and you either dont want or cant afford another sensor. And of course, you are running an ecu that looks for a knock sensor and throws you CEL code 23.

Attached Files:

4. D16SiHatch

D16SiHatch New Member

more power to ya if you can get it to work :thumbup:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted